Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#72592 - 17/02/2002 11:35 Help with wiring up the empeg
damone
stranger

I could not find a correct wiring diagram for my car ANYWHERE. All the ones I have seen are completely wrong (I have a 95 Avalon by the way). So I started testing the large connector that went to the factory stereo and checking for the 12V power lines with a small light bulb. I found a few lines that worked, but none of them seemed to be the constant power line because whenever I turned the key to off, the light would go out. I don't know what the hell is up with this connector, it's really weird because it's got 15 small pins, and it's totally different from all of the websites that have connector info.

Anyway after I found some power wires, I attempted to plug in the empeg tray wires just temporarily to see if I could get any power, and within a few seconds I see SMOKE coming from inside the dash, where I couldn't quite see. Now it seems like I fried some kind of damn power wire. Everything else works fine in the car, but when I plug the factory stereo back in, it will not turn on, but the nighttime lights come on when I turn on the headlights.

So since I can't even see where the damn smoke came from, I can't try to fix the problem. I guess my real question is can I get power, ground, and ignition wires from anywhere else? Those are the only 3 wires I am going to need. I can see the ignition thing right between the steering wheel and the stereo location, so maybe I can use power from there? What the hell do I do?

This was supposed to be a one day job

#72593 - 17/02/2002 11:58 Re: Help with wiring up the empeg [Re: damone]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The only thing you can do at this time is take your car to a qualified mechanic to help you locate and repair the burned wiring.

Next, take your car and the empeg to a qualified stereo installation shop. Some people were just not meant to install their stereos themseleves.

#72594 - 17/02/2002 12:05 Re: Help with wiring up the empeg [Re: tfabris]
damone
stranger

Sorry but I've already spent too much money on my last stereo install. I payed $100 just to get a NEO Jukebox installed, and that's way too much for me.

Anyway, this burned wire should not be much of a problem, since it only affects the stereo harness. The rest of the car is fine. There has got to be somewhere else to get the power for the empeg from.

This really sucks because I can do this kind of stuff with computers and other things, but not shitty car wiring. The wiring of the factory harness seems to be unknown to the entire world, as I cannot find out anything about it on the internet.

#72595 - 17/02/2002 12:38 Re: Help with wiring up the empeg [Re: damone]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

What, the wiring diagrams at The Install Doctor didn't have your model?

In any case, you should be able to get a wiring harness adapter from just about any stereo shop. Why not try that?

Your plight has inspired me to write up a new FAQ entry...

#72596 - 17/02/2002 12:46 Re: Help with wiring up the empeg [Re: tfabris]
damone
stranger

I wish that site had my car in there, but it does not, and for a long time now the whole Toyota section has been down! Plus, I can't trust that website anyway because the quick wiring diagram section for Toyotas is all wrong. They have one that says 1987-UP! Now how can they really think that the manufacturer is gonna keep that same damn connector for 10 years! It does not look like the connector in my car at all.

I guess I could try to get a wiring adapter, but looking at places on the internet to buy them and seeing that the pictures all show the old design (and also say 1987-UP), I am beginning to doubt that a new adaptor even exists, but I'll check it out later today.

#72597 - 17/02/2002 12:54 Re: Help with wiring up the empeg [Re: damone]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So you're saying that this document does not show your car's wiring? (this appears to be what you're saying)

And you are absolutely sure that you've called Crutchfield and asked them, and they are absolutely sure that they do not have a master sheet or an installation kit for your car?

#72598 - 17/02/2002 12:59 Re: Help with wiring up the empeg [Re: tfabris]
damone
stranger

Yes I'm sure that document does not show my car's wiring.

I have not called Crutchfield yet, and I haven't gone to any stereo places around here, but I will later today (Working right now hehe, but it's on my own time)

#72599 - 17/02/2002 14:22 Re: Help with wiring up the empeg [Re: tfabris]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

I tried to look up some info for my car and found many dead links at installdr.com!

At the for the beginner page, the links for "New Speakers", "CD Changers", "Amplifiers", "Subs", "Radio Installation Kits", and all six of the Factory Premium System all go exactly nowhere... not much of a helpfull guide.

I then went to the install it yourself section and clicked on Nissan. The resulting page has 10 broken images for the various Nissan models. When I click on the missing Maxima image, I get a 404.

Basically, the site is utterly useless!

#72600 - 17/02/2002 14:28 Re: Help with wiring up the empeg [Re: damone]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
If the 87-newer harness (shown in many places), Metra model # 70-1761, does not look like any adapter in your car, then you're either looking at the wrong plugs in your dash, or your original plugs have been removed. Are you the first owner of that car?

The metra adapter will plug right into the factory harness after you remove the factory radio. Guaranteed.

A constant source of power is one of the easiest things to find. If you don't want to blow things, you should NOT be using a test light. If your cr has airbags, you should NOT be using a test light unless you know what you're testing. The draw from the light can be enough to trigger your bags. You should be using a multimeter.

If all else fails, you can go direct to the battery for a 12v source. Simple. Finding accessory if anything is the hardest part, but even that's simple. You can follow so many routes from other known accessories in your car. Not to mention something will be labled in your fuse box.

I know not everyone is up to the challenge of wiring installations, but this stuff is so basic that sometimes I have a hard time believing people's messages.

Bruno

#72601 - 17/02/2002 14:53 Re: Help with wiring up the empeg [Re: hybrid8]
damone
stranger

I have a multimeter now hehe. It was ONLY the radio wiring connector that I was testing anyway.

About the wiring harness... I'm not the first owner, but the factory stereo was still in the car, and the wiring harness did not look like it had been changed at all. There were no signs at all of any previous installs. There are 2 connectors that have wires taped together, so they seem to both be for stereo, but only one is used, and even the other one that isn't hooked up looks nothing like the diagrams I have seen on Install Doctor.

#72602 - 17/02/2002 15:00 Re: Help with wiring up the empeg [Re: damone]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
if the factory connector is there you should be able to get a wiring harness adaptor and the instructions with those will tell you what wire goes where

Matt

#72603 - 17/02/2002 23:18 Re: Help with wiring up the empeg [Re: damone]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
If you cannot find you information anywhere, why don't you drop by the local toyota dealership and ask them?? If they don't know off the top of their heads, they will have documentation that has this info in it somewhere. Or you could drop by a car stereo place and ask them. If you had smoke coming out of the dash, it might be worth your while to track it down and fix it. If the insulation has melted off the wire and it ever grounds out by touching some metal in your dash, you could blow a fuse or much worse. So fixing that "shitty wiring" might be a good idea.

Sean