Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#72859 - 18/02/2002 12:38 Any idea why my boston accoustic speakers buzz?
rockstar
enthusiast

It is really odd.. they sound fine, but occasionally they get a buzz, of varying volume..

bbbbbbbbbbbBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

lasts about i dunno 15-20 second.. i think it may be a loose ground in teh sub, anyone else had that problem>? this is pc speakers btw

#72860 - 18/02/2002 12:42 Re: Any idea why my boston accoustic speakers buzz? [Re: rockstar]
rockstar
enthusiast

ahh i just searched deja and apparently this is a big problem with this set.. damn. sorry for the waste of bandwidth.

#72861 - 18/02/2002 12:43 Re: Any idea why my altec lansing speakers are buzzing [Re: rockstar]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sounds like a ground loop problem.

I assume you're talking about a home computer speaker set...

First, triple check all connections to make sure you don't have a loose plug.

Next, I would start unplugging everything that the PC is connected to except for the bare minimum. For instance, leave the monitor plugged in, leave the kbd and mouse plugged in, leave the speakers plugged in. But unplug absolutely everything else including phone and network connections.

If the buzz is gone, start plugging things back in one at a time until the buzz re-appears. When the buzz re-appears, there's your ground loop. Change the way that object is grounded, for instance, move it to a different plug.

#72862 - 18/02/2002 12:59 Re: Any idea why my altec lansing speakers are buzzing [Re: tfabris]
rockstar
enthusiast

yah, apparently the power supply of this unit is a line voltage regulation problem.. i am just wondering if i can take it apart, get a part at something like radio shack to put inline to help regulate voltage spikes.. any thoughts on that?