Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#73048 - 18/02/2002 22:20 Attn: All extruded aluminum experts!
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Okie doke. I've been searching the net using google looking for some extruded aluminum stock in a very simple profile. So simple I can't find anything quite like it.

I'm hoping someone here has experience in any relevant industry to give me some pointers. I'm looking for something that's a close match to the image attachment (close to 3" would be nice). More details can also be found at the following link: http://www.t-linespeakers.org/oddsends/box/

I've already written to the author of the page. What he didn't mention on the page is that the diagram is based off a real enclosure that he did not construct himself. Argh.

Any help appreciated. Even for other extruded profiles that might suit building something like the linked diagram. I know some aluminum ladders use wide u-channel extrusions. See my case/chassis/enclosure thread to find out what I need this stuff for.

Bruno

Attachments
70641-U_x[1].gif (90 downloads)

#73049 - 18/02/2002 23:08 Re: Attn: All extruded aluminum experts! [Re: hybrid8]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I believe McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/) has what you want. This company is incredible. They ship very quickly and have an unbelievably wide selection of hard-to-find items at reasonable prices. Lots of metal stock which comes in handy. Hope this helps.

Stu

#73050 - 19/02/2002 09:49 Re: Attn: All extruded aluminum experts! [Re: hybrid8]
kojak71
journeyman

The Lotus designed the Elise & the new Aston Martin chassis, using extruded aluminium sections bonded together. I believe that a company called Hydra do the extrusion process and might be a place to look at.

#73051 - 19/02/2002 13:23 Re: Attn: All extruded aluminum experts! [Re: kojak71]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
I think the company you mean is Hydro Aluminium. I've dealt with them on a few occasions when we've needed custom extrusion profiles for machining into parts for our customers. I've got 250Kg on order now actually. Don't know whether they have anywhere in Canada though.

#73052 - 19/02/2002 18:53 Re: Attn: All extruded aluminum experts! [Re: beaker]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Well, McMaster Carr doesn't have the profile I posted above, but they have some standard aluminum channels in different proportions. I'm pretty sure I can find this stuff locally as well. I've come up with a neat design (so far it's sitting in my head) for making a very nice enclosure using mutiple pieces of channel sandwiched on top of each other. Now I just have to figure out when I'll have enought time to start and finish the project.

Bruno

#73053 - 20/02/2002 10:50 Re: Attn: All extruded aluminum experts! [Re: hybrid8]
beaker
addict

Loc: England
But I thought everyone had "Copious amounts of free time (tm)"

#73054 - 20/02/2002 20:28 Re: Attn: All extruded aluminum experts! [Re: beaker]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Only time to post to the BBS. And that's because I steal time from other things and also manage to do a lot of posting while working on other stuff. But that reminds me that I'm supposed to be transposing some Greek fonts right about now.

Bruno

#73055 - 20/02/2002 20:47 Re: Attn: All extruded aluminum experts! [Re: hybrid8]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
I looked at the web page mentioned. As far as I can tell the lips on the edge of the channel are for appearance. A similar box, that would be just a strong, could be made with standard 3" aluminum channel. Just make the covers a little larger.

BTW: Did you think of asking the owner of the website mentioned, "Where he got the aluminum frame extrusions?" He has a mail me link on the main page.

Edit: OOps, just noticed you had written guy

Edited by gbeer (20/02/2002 20:49)