Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7429 - 12/01/2000 01:21 Freezing empeg when ignition is turned on,but ...
Nils

Loc: Germany
Hi there ...
I thought i wait with reporting this bug, because i thought 8c will be redone fast, but now i am stuck with 8c for ages ...
So, here it comes:

Aftzer upgrading to 8c i have the problem that my empeg freezes if i turn it on, before i use the ignition ,,,
IF i do so, the empeg freezes when i use the ignition.
I had this problem way before, then some people including me reported it, and it was fixed ...
Well -> now with 8.c i have it again ...
Workaround: first start the car, THEN push in the empeg ....
One more or less strange thing: if i drive around for aminute, THEN leave my empeg on, and start the car again, it works.
I GUESS this might be, because the car battery already has a slightly higher voltage, but i do not know ...
Please help me and fix this, because it IS annoying ...

Nils, #123

#7430 - 12/01/2000 04:18 Re: Freezing empeg when ignition is turned on,but ... [Re: Nils]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I'm not so sure this is due to battery overvoltage - your battery/regulator circuit would have been cooked by now if this is the case. It sounds like your battery has a cranking depletion which drops the battery voltage a lot when you start the car - if the battery has a high internal resistance, then it causes a big voltage drop at the battery terminals when a high current is being drawn. You even explain in your post that the thing works OK after the car is started, when the charing system has kicked in.

I think you might have a dead cell in your car battery, or one that is getting sick. What is the temperature in your part of the world? If it's as cold as it is here in NL at the moment, then this one possibility. Low temperature has a similar effect on a battery as high internal resistance. I had the same experience on a sickly battery in my Mini prior to version B6 (I think) where the power fail interupt was going active and effectively doing it's job properly, but at the wrong time...

With a new battery and the later software, it has not repeated.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015