Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#74404 - 23/02/2002 20:07 Crazy Activity
xanatos
enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
I think something is seriously wrong with my player...

This happens on both 1.03, and the 2.0beta's. Basically just randomly the player stops and resets, or it will just lock up. I'm tried repumping the partitions and such and it hasn't fixed it. It's been happening about two 1/2 months now.

Also one thing I've noticed, while I am in the car (and only in the car) I get a clicking sound from the player, typically while there is disk activity, but not always. I have checked to make sure it is set in the mount correctly, and that the mount is mounted correctly, and everything appears to be fine.

I did take off the cover to see if all of the cables were seated, and one thing I noticed was that the right side of the hard drive holder is no longer securly mounted to the case. Should I send this in for warranty work, or is there a way to fix this myself?

#74405 - 24/02/2002 11:07 Re: Crazy Activity [Re: xanatos]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Try running the RAM test, described in the FAQ here. That would be one possibility of causing a lock. Also, does the lock occur on AC as well? Capturing the serial output would definitly help.

I get a clicking sound from the player, typically while there is disk activity, but not always.

Is this only when you are driving? The one drive models had the end of the cable stuck down, but it had a tendancy to become loose and could be banging against something. Also, the handle may be a bit loose, try seeing if it's a result of that vibrating away from the front of the case a bit. If the drive icon is not on (and you have it enabled), then the drive is not spun up at all, and shouldn't make any noise beyond a faint srattling sound when shaken quite a bit.

and one thing I noticed was that the right side of the hard drive holder is no longer securly mounted to the case.

I'd try to just remount the drive mount. It's the 4 screws on the left and right side that hold it in place. Be careful when doing this though, as the drive cable is tucked up against some rather fragile components on the display board, and forcing the mount out could break one off.