Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#77546 - 04/03/2002 08:15 Invalid File Format
dda
stranger

Loc: Belgium
Why do I see this message appear on some songs ?
Those songs have no problem in Winamp !
Does anyone know which kind of bits and bytes in a mp3 files makes such a message appear on the RioCar player ?
DDA

#77547 - 04/03/2002 09:58 Re: Invalid File Format [Re: dda]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I've seen this one on my player too. I think there's a FAQ entry on using a utility to check your MP3 file's structure. If I were you I'd re-encode, or if you got the MP3 from a file-sharing service, re-download it.

Maybe the file plays OK in WinAMP, but remember, the MP3 spec is very light on the details of how encoders/decoders are implemented, so this kind of inconsistency happens all the time.

#77548 - 04/03/2002 10:52 Re: Invalid File Format [Re: dda]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You might simply need to reset the metadata on the files.

In the 2.0 Emplode software, select the "All tracks" view, select all of the tracks, then right-click on them and hit "reset metadata".

You will have to do maybe one or two synchs after this to get it to rebuild the structures.

After you have done this, let us know if it worked. If so, I will make a FAQ entry on the subject.

#77549 - 04/03/2002 21:37 Re: Invalid File Format [Re: dda]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I had that problem back with v1.03 (or was it v1.02?), with some files that had 64KB of ID3v2 tags at the front (images, and whatnot).

The v2 beta software handles those now, after doing reset metadata once, but I just strip it all off anyway before loading up the player with junk.

Cheers

#77550 - 05/03/2002 01:19 Re: Invalid File Format [Re: tfabris]
dda
stranger

I was ready to do the metadata reset when I saw the message : " This will remove the bitrate,duration,offset and samplerate tags from these 2237 items. Are you sure ?
1) Does this mean that my player will not be able anymore to show the duration of a song that I will play, or the bitrate in the Detail view ?
2) Are these changes done in the Emplode database or in the mp3 files themselfs, meaning that I will loose those informations if I download my mp3 files back from my player to a PC.
Waiting for your infos before proceeding,

DDA

#77551 - 05/03/2002 04:07 Re: Invalid File Format [Re: dda]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Answers:

1) Yes. And no. In fact, no. The "Reset Metadata" function does, in fact, remove those items from the empeg's database. However, when you next connect using emplode, you'll be prompted that these items are missing this metadata, and you'll be prompted to fix it. Answer yes, and it'll all get sorted out.

2) They're done in the empeg database. The MP3 files will be untouched.

Anyway, like I say, once you reconnect with emplode, you'll be prompted to put these tags back (into the empeg database). This time, however, they'll have the correct values, and should avoid the "invalid file" problem.

#77552 - 07/03/2002 03:05 Re: Invalid File Format [Re: Roger]
dda
stranger

Well,

I've done my Metadata Reset but unfortunately the Invalid File Format message is still present. Must be something in the file that the player doesn't like.

Thanks anyway.
DDA

P.S. : Good to mention in the FAQ that you loose your wendy flags when doing a reset Metadata.

#77553 - 07/03/2002 20:36 Re: Invalid File Format [Re: dda]
WirelessOne
new poster

Loc: Sugar Land, TX, USA
I have this same problem with every song on one of the first albums I ripped. With version 1 software I got a sort of "tweep" sound at the end of each track. They play OK on winamp and music match. In version 2 the player plays the whole song and then with 2-3 seconds left on the counter it says "Invalid File Format". It looks like whatever ripper I used at the time (I was experimenting) seems to have tried to add a 2 second silence to the end of the track and messed it up. Anyway, I just re-ripped the tracks and all is well now.

Steve