Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#77680 - 04/03/2002 19:12 WARNING about Domain Renewal Scams
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
So, I get home to find two letters from "Domain Registry of Canada" http://www.droc.ca

I know that I don't recognise the name, but I know what the contents will hold. For a second I simply thought on of my registrars was in the process of changing their corporate identity.

Inside each envelope is a return envelope (not postage-paid) and what is designed to look like an invoice for renewal. In bold letters "Renew today to avoid being forced topay higher prices" One of the bottom lines does say that "this notice is not an invoice rather an easy means os payment"

Of course, nowhere on the form do they ever say that filling out their form would be agreeing to a transfer from my existing registrar. Nowhere do they ask for permission or confirmation of anything remotely similar to a transfer. Don't know how they would get my registrar to even honour it really.

And of course the kicker is that their prices are higher than my current registrar (2x the price) and also much higher than another registrar I also use (for multi-year registrations).

I have already written to my legitimate registrar letting them know about this attempted fraud and have also informed the people at DRoC that I had done so.

Anyone else ever experience anything like this? I suspect these guys probably aren't contacting people in the US, but it wouldn't surprise me if they have another corporate registration for that purpose (they're just a numbered Ontario Ltd. company - cheap way to incorporate, easy to register more names under).

Bruno

#77681 - 05/03/2002 04:10 Re: WARNING about Domain Renewal Scams [Re: hybrid8]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
i got a eltter from a similar company but based in us i threw it away thou