Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#7996 - 16/05/2000 12:37 Music Genres
Kureg

This isn't really an empeg related question (well, in some ways it is for me, but anyway...)

There are over 100 music genres that I know of... But just because I KNOW OF them, that doesn't mean I know what kind of music they include.

When I'm editing the ID3 tags of my songs, and I'm faced to pick a genre, sometimes I have no clue as to what category to include the song in.

So, now the silly question goes, does anyone know of a definitive list of genres and just exactly what music falls into each genre? Obviously this would be next to impossible to do without examples. This question bugs me every time I go to create an ID3 tag for a song. Usually I end up putting the songs in very vague categories, but I know that if I were to want to play music by genre there are a great many songs that just don't "fit". Groan...

Can anyone help me?

Kureg

#7997 - 16/05/2000 12:56 Re: Music Genres [Re: Kureg]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
You'll drive yourself insane trying to categorize music by genre by a tight set of bound rules. Truth is , any artist can cross genres often. Some songs are fusion of genres. Try not to be anal about it , and it'll come easier.

if that fails , try looking at some of the major music retail and cataloging sites such as www.amazon.com or www.allmusic.com

Empeg Kicks Ass
S/N 00203
<A HREF="http://www.iretro.com">http://www.iretro.com</A>

#7998 - 16/05/2000 13:24 Re: Music Genres [Re: JeepBastard]
Kureg

In reply to:

You'll drive yourself insane trying to categorize music by genre by a tight set of bound rules.

I agree with you about the tight set of bound rules. The trouble is, I don't even have a loose set of rules let alone a tight set. I'm not exactly that interested in knowing what all 100+ genres mean, but I'd like to know what more than 3 or 4 mean .

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but when you start collecting songs into the thousands, there are distinct differences between the styles of music. I can recognize those differences... that's fine and I'm happy that I can. Organising the music into different groups is fairly easy except that I wish I could give the categories names. I don't know, it just doesn't seem right to pick a random name from the list .

I guess I can live with that... I was just wondering if anyone knew of a place where the intended meanings of all these genres could be determined.

Kureg

#7999 - 16/05/2000 13:49 Re: Music Genres [Re: Kureg]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The genres are just names, nothing more. I don't think there's a set guideline for the classifications in the ID3 tag spec.

Keep in mind that you're filling out the ID3 tags for you. You're the only one who's going to be selecting and searching through these files, so select the genre that sounds right to you.

Personally, most of my tags just say "Rock". Even though there are lots of sub-genres of Rock music, I don't usually search and select by genre, so it's mostly irrelevant to me. For instance, I categorize Rush firmly into the "Progressive Rock" genre along with Yes, but I just select "Rock" when I'm tagging the files because it sounds more appropriate for them. And although plenty of The Police's early work could be classified as "Reggae", I still put in "Rock" because they're mainly a rock band.

Tony Fabris (http://www.jps.net/tfabris)
Empeg #144

#8000 - 16/05/2000 13:57 Re: Music Genres [Re: tfabris]
Kureg

In reply to:

Personally, most of my tags just say "Rock".

Yeah, same here . Now that I think about it, I think I'd end up just placing the songs in various playlists. Quite often some songs seem to belong to two categories at the same time, and searching by genre wouldn't accomodate that very well.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to live with it. Thanks anyway tho!

Kureg

#8001 - 16/05/2000 14:50 Re: Music Genres [Re: Kureg]
Bruno
new poster

Loc: Berks., UK
This is just one reason why empeg should support ID3v2 tags. You can tag tracks with as many genres as you like with ID3v2, and qualify each genre with a text string if you choose, for purposes of clarification, expansion or whatever.

Martin Nillson (a leading light of ID3v2) put some work into trying to put the genres into a more manageable hierarchical structure, but this work remains unfinished. His paper is on www.id3.org somewhere, but unfortunately I've lost the URL and it isn't pointed at from within the site. I'll see if I can find out and post the address.

Cheers,

Bruno
[email protected]

Bruno
[email protected]

#8002 - 16/05/2000 16:08 Re: Music Genres [Re: Bruno]
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Why doesn't CDDB support the year tag? It would be a simple thing for that to be part of the downloaded data...

- Jon

#8003 - 16/05/2000 16:10 Re: Music Genres [Re: Bruno]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The empeg genre tag is completely free-format; the empeg itself doesn't use ID3 tags, it uses its own database - it just *imports* id3v1 tags (you can edit them in emplode to say whatever you want).

ID3v2 support is now working in emplode, it'll be in the next release.

Hugo

#8004 - 16/05/2000 16:37 Re: Music Genres [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Why doesn't CDDB support the year tag? It would be a simple thing for that to be part of the downloaded data...

Because the CDDB was invented before MP3. It was never intended to be a tool for filling out MP3 tags. It was only intended for PC cd-player applets to display artist, album, and track title.

Since buying AudioCatalyst, I let it fill out the tag data from the CDDB, then I go in by hand and tweak all the information to my liking (like fixing the year and genre, and correcting the errors in the track titles) before ripping the CD.

Tony Fabris (http://www.jps.net/tfabris)
Empeg #144