Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#80205 - 13/03/2002 12:38 Slashdot.. Here we go again!
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
One click is all that it takes to remind you why we love this BBS so much.

My favorite part is Rob and Peter scrambling to get the source code properly linked on the home page to avoid the Return of Bruce Perens to the Empeg BBS.

#80206 - 13/03/2002 12:57 Re: Slashdot.. Here we go again! [Re: tonyc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Heh, nothing to worry about, since the sources are on a CD that comes with the player.

#80207 - 13/03/2002 15:57 Re: Slashdot.. Here we go again! [Re: tonyc]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
I could guess an empeg/rio story was about to appear on /. as I had mod points again... =)

Shame there isn't a mod option for "missing the point -1"
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#80208 - 13/03/2002 18:36 Re: Slashdot.. Here we go again! [Re: tonyc]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Most people didn't read enough of the review to even know it runs Linux. Who posted the bit about doubting the majority of /. readers could even tie their shoes? That seems to be bang-on. I see a lot of "I can build/buy something to do that for $xx" Umm.. Yeah. Do it. Make a bunch of them and sell them. Come back to me when you're done.

Clearly if SONICblue was aiming for the /. market, as I've mentioned before, this thing would be built into a shoebox (a real cardboard box) with wires sticking out of it. You'd have to build your own hard disk out of tin foil and fridge magnets. Or the other solution is to put a cheap PC in a cardboard box spray painted black with a cut-out on the back for maming your various connections.

You can't peddle high-quality gear to people who want to be living in a trailer park. People who really do live in trailer parks have higher aspirations and recognise quality merchandise - if only to be able to display it to hide the fact they're living in a trailer.

Bruno

#80209 - 13/03/2002 18:41 Re: Slashdot.. Here we go again! [Re: Jazzwire]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
you're right. Here we go again. It's not even worth replying to some of this. Remind me why people review anything for slashdot?

edit:
Just read your post Hybrid. bang on!

I see a lot of "I can build/buy something to do that for $xx" Umm.. Yeah. Do it. Make a bunch of them and sell them. Come back to me when you're done.

And you can bet that when they did finish, they sure wouldn't publish the results on /. coz they'd be shot down too.

Clearly if SONICblue was aiming for the /. market, as I've mentioned before, this thing would be built into a shoebox (a real cardboard box) with wires sticking out of it. You'd have to build your own hard disk out of tin foil and fridge magnets. Or the other solution is to put a cheap PC in a cardboard box spray painted black with a cut-out on the back for maming your various connections.

Brilliant! I expect to see the blue-prints in the morning!

As one guy put:
Because some people don't want a big ugly beige box sitting next to their stereo rack?

Maybe these people have a single room house and their computer is their entertainment unit anyway?

Edited by muzza (13/03/2002 18:52)

#80210 - 13/03/2002 18:48 Re: Slashdot.. Here we go again! [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You forgot the fact that the shoebox would have to have a hole cut in it and covered with plexiglas, preferably with some neon-type lights in it to make it showier.

(Then again, this was posted to slashdot, and it actually was pretty cool.)

#80211 - 13/03/2002 18:56 Re: Slashdot.. Here we go again! [Re: wfaulk]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
now THAT is a cool PC!. Still wouldn't use it as a stereo though.

#80212 - 13/03/2002 19:47 Re: Slashdot.. Here we go again! [Re: wfaulk]
pca
old hand

Loc: UK
The thing I find really funny is reading the comments about this case, which I think is very nearly a work of art. I mean, with the empeg and similar things, the response is "Well, I could have done it myself, and it wouldn't have cost more than a can of coke. Why would anyone spend that sort of money on a stereo?", or whatever the thing is.

When someone actually DOES do it himself, properly, for very little money (300 euros or so, for that? Peanuts), the response is "250 hours? Doesn't he have a job? Anyway, I could have done a better job with that sort of money". Talk about variable standards.

Oh well, I came to the conclusion years ago that the part of the slashdot community that posts is almost entirely a classic example of lowest common denominator.

pca

#80213 - 13/03/2002 19:52 Re: Slashdot.. Here we go again! [Re: pca]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Yeah, it's awful. I still read Slashdot because they often do point out stuff that I would otherwise not be aware of (like that case, even though I have some issues with the openness of the top), but I've long since realized that the commenters are a bunch of sour-grapes naysayers. I only read them now if I feel like being frustrated.

#80214 - 13/03/2002 19:56 Re: Slashdot.. Here we go again! [Re: muzza]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Here's some pics of my 'beige' box.

#80215 - 13/03/2002 19:58 Re: Slashdot.. Here we go again! [Re: pca]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
"Well, I could have done it myself, and it wouldn't have cost more than a can of coke. Why would anyone spend that sort of money on a stereo?" (...) ""250 hours? Doesn't he have a job? "

ROFL, good point. I would love to see an example of catching the same person posting both sides of that one.

#80216 - 13/03/2002 20:46 Re: Slashdot.. Here we go again! [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I think that case is a brilliant piece of art. Very (very) nice.

I have only a few functional problems with it though. Looks like in the butt to do maintenance on. That doesn't have to be a big problem if you stock it up well from the begining and don't have cause to upgrade anything often. The other is something easily solved or modified. I think it would be cooler to have a slot for the CD right in the outside door. So you wouldn't have to pop it open at all.

Damn, can't wait to start on my custom case (which will double as an amplified stereo alarm clock) for the empeg. It won't have any neon though.

Bruno