Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#8067 - 16/05/2000 22:11 alternative ideas for existing car stereos?
Soren
new poster

Loc: southern california
I just bought a new car. I wish I could've chosen the "EMPEG" option as factory installed, but well, not quite. I went w/the cdplayer unit. Great system, don't get me wrong...the obvious problem, it doesn't exactly play MP3's! hah. So anyway, I know this board is about empeg units and all, but I'm not anxious to rip out my $500.00 cdplayer unit option to drop another grand on the empeg, etc. I'm wondering what kind of options anyone can suggest on utilizing the existing stock stereo cdplayer in the car...

Now, if it was a TAPE instead cdplayer unit I'd probably use one of those special electronic tape's with a wire on them that can plug into a external sound source, like my libretto which I have this convenient little velcro place strapped in where I put it while in the car. I could use the libretto to play the mp3's and it'd just output to the special tape in the tape deck.

Obviously that won't work as I have a CD player... which I want anyway, to perhaps play cd's if I have one at the time...

Even if I did have a tape deck and use the special tape+libretto thing it still wouldn't be exactly easy to manipulate songs while driving or whatever, I dunno...

Basically I'm just looking for the best solution to my problem...any ideas/thoughts are greatly appreciated-- I'm sure I'm not the only one in the world faced with this.

Thanks

:wq

#8068 - 16/05/2000 23:38 Re: alternative ideas for existing car stereos? [Re: Soren]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
utilizing the existing stock stereo cdplayer in the car...

Search this board: there have been several (lengthy) discussions already on how to use your head-unit as an amplifier for Emma. Unless you have 2 DIN slots, finding a place for Emma (or your head unit) will be difficult though. Best option still is to have a real amp in the trunk, I believe.

Henno
ex 00120

#8069 - 17/05/2000 01:59 Re: alternative ideas for existing car stereos? [Re: Soren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You didn't say what car you bought. Some cars have an additional DIN space for other components in the dashboard. If that's the case, you're all set. Just add the Empeg onto the existing stereo (your installer will probably need a special wiring harness for this).

If you do not have an extra space in the dashboard for a second stereo, definitely consider removing the factory stereo and installing just the Empeg. Trust me, you won't miss the factory CD player at all. And if your installer does a good job, you will still have the factory radio in brand-new condition in a box in the closet, ready to put back into the car when you trade it in a few years later.

Tony Fabris (http://www.jps.net/tfabris)
Empeg #144

#8070 - 17/05/2000 14:37 Re: alternative ideas for existing car stereos? [Re: Soren]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Soren,

Sounds like now that you spent $500 on this CD player you're not willing to spend another 1000+ on another unit. That's understandable. I assume your CD player has FM radio, if so, you can connect up a FM radio transmitter to your libretto and tune your cd player to the appropriate channel and have a wireless mp3 playback. Quality won't be so good though!

Calvin