Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#80948 - 11/04/2002 10:02 Re: Tempermental No Hard Disk [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Think it might just be spin-up timing? That could even be fixed in Hijack if it were the case. Someone get hold of Mark...

#80949 - 11/04/2002 11:45 Re: Tempermental No Hard Disk [Re: tfabris]
skamp
journeyman

I really do think it has something to do with the drive timing. I never had this problem with 1.03. I have not gone back becuase the problem does not happen that often and also 2.0Bx is so much nicer! I also never had it act funny first like lofreq mentioned. . It either works (perfectly) or not at all.

Steve

#80950 - 12/04/2002 14:09 Re: Tempermental No Hard Disk [Re: skamp]
njdboy

Loc: San Jose, CA
Things have been much smoother for me since I installed HiJack. I think it is the spin up times, and a little to do with weather as well. In the morning, it has a little more tendency to not start up. But if I do the HiJack reboot, all works well. If I leave it in the sun all day, it NEVER has a problem starting up. So I would recommend to all having drive spin-up problems, to try Hijack and see how it goes. You can always drop down to 1.03 or just 2.0 b11 whenever.

#80951 - 29/04/2002 23:05 Re: Tempermental No Hard Disk [Re: njdboy]
lofreq
stranger

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
ok, i think my unit's been working long enuf without this problem coming up again to assume i have fixed the problem.

after all the headbanging wondering what the problem was i decided to check the one thing i suspected before (and its the first thing in the FAQ) - IDE cable. this time i pulled the whole cable out of the computer and inspected it like a madman in macro mode. i found that the connector on the motherboard end had the tineiest arc in it, such that the pins in the middle were actually slightly visible inbetween the plastic and the grey ribbon cable. i pressed the black plastic down hard and this sealed off the gap again - took a bit of pressure.

after reassembly and testing it till now, i have not seen the stoned tux at all.

just thought id report this here hopefully others still getting this excruciating problem might be able to look into this yet again and hopefully cure their problem too.

goodluck

-nige

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3