Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#83324 - 25/03/2002 03:06 hijack wish, yes another one, thanks mark :)
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
well after hours and hours of messing around i cant manage to get a samba sever running on my empeg. i was curious if mark or anyone else had a simple plug and play solution or plan on making one or really care to make another one, i think for us poor windows user it would be great to just see the empeg in the network hood, or at if not a .zimage something like a .patch would be neat, jsut another one of my silly wishes, thanks for reading or helping if u decied to.

#83325 - 25/03/2002 03:37 Re: hijack wish, yes another one, thanks mark :) [Re: justinlarsen]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi Justin.

I am just answering the part of your post I could understand.
To get the empeg to show up in the network neighborhood, a (more or less) full implementation of the SMB protocol is needed. This protocol is definitely to complex to be implemented in the kernel. Just to give you an idea of its complecity: The current empeg kernel is about 500k in size, while the dynamically linked, stripped linux binary (i.e. as small as possible) of the SAMBA server (smbd) is over 800k in size.

Now what else did you try to say/ask with the following sentence?
i think for us poor windows user it would be great to just see the empeg in the network hood, or at if not a .zimage something like a .patch would be neat,
Or in other words: What the hell are you asking for regarding zimages and/or patches?

cu,
sven

#83326 - 25/03/2002 06:01 Re: hijack wish, yes another one, thanks mark :) [Re: smu]
Nosferatu
enthusiast

Loc: France, Champagne
I suppose He asked for an Upgrade of the Kernel (Simple to apply to the Empeg) that will handle the Samba server.

There is already a samba server complied for the empeg but difficult to install.

That's why he's asking for something sipplier to install (in a kernel patch).

But You have to keep in mind that Mark is alone and the Samba Team is composed of many people contributing to the project .....

#83327 - 25/03/2002 14:40 Re: hijack wish, yes another one, thanks mark :) [Re: Nosferatu]
justinlarsen
old hand

ya very true.. oh well ill just keep messing im sure ill figure it our sometime. Thanks for your answers

#83328 - 27/03/2002 07:37 Re: hijack wish, yes another one, thanks mark :) [Re: justinlarsen]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
NFS would be far easier than Samba. Pity billg doesn't know about it.

Cheers

#83329 - 27/03/2002 19:37 Re: hijack wish, yes another one, thanks mark :) [Re: mlord]
justinlarsen
old hand

mark you think if i could gather up some info for you, or program or attept to in a way get something set up you could implant it into hijack? or would it take too much space?

#83330 - 28/03/2002 07:34 Re: hijack wish, yes another one, thanks mark :) [Re: justinlarsen]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
You mean something for smb (samba)? I dunno, but if you show me the code, I'll look.

For NFS, it should mostly just be a matter of configuring knfsd in the kernel config before compiling.

Cheers

#83331 - 17/04/2002 09:58 Re: hijack wish, yes another one, thanks mark :) [Re: mlord]
hoagy

Loc: Silicon Valley
I wonder if the smb client code is any smaller. Since I have an extra Empeg sitting around without a hard disk in it, it would be fantastic if the Empeg could emulate a Rio Reciever by accessing my mp3 file server on my LAN. Then the Empeg would even make an Audiotron obsolete!

-Hoagy.

#83332 - 17/04/2002 10:49 Re: hijack wish, yes another one, thanks mark :) [Re: hoagy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
If you had a Rio Receiver and kernel hacking skills you could possibly actually run the Rio Receiver player software on an empeg/Rio Car.

In the kernel hacking you could map the calls that the Receiver player software makes through to the empeg hardware (which in many cases is very similar anyway).

It would obviously be much easier to just buy another Receiver, unless you lived outside the US of course...

#83333 - 21/04/2002 15:54 Re: hijack wish, yes another one, thanks mark :) [Re: hoagy]
dcosta
enthusiast

Loc: Massachussetts
YES !! My Idea EXACTLY.
You would have to specify IP's of other units for your unit to look for.
then multiple networked units could "recognize" eachother,
and then in "Playlists" you would get "Local Lists" and "Other Empegs"
Select "Other Empegs" and you get a horizontal list of other empegs on the network,
selet an Empeg on the network, and you are dropped into the playlist tree on that empeg unit.
Bring on the diskless Empeg.