Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#83738 - 26/03/2002 20:19 The Scorpion King
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
Has anyone else run out today and bought this soundtrack? I didn't look at the song titles when encoding and ripping it, just when I brought it up on the empeg to play. Got a big laugh out of some of them.

I don't know if it's the artists little joke or if it was someone from freedb. I'm curious how other's had the song names come up.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#83739 - 26/03/2002 22:28 Re: The Scorpion King [Re: Laura]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I don't know, but the music from the spinoff of a minor character in a throwaway action/adventure movie needs to work extra hard to redeem it's self

Actually, I haven't seen the Mummy 2, but I know the Rock was in it for about 5 seconds and only yelled something. The Scorpion King, it seems to me, was made so people will pay more to see the Rock. Oh well, it's what movies do

#83740 - 26/03/2002 22:55 Re: The Scorpion King [Re: Dignan]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
The soundtrack is actually a pretty good list of new rock bands. Godsmack, Creed, Nickelback, P.O.D., etc...

If you like any of the bands that are part of the rock resurgence, check the soundtrack out.

#83741 - 26/03/2002 23:13 ``Rock'' [Re: svferris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Don't you mean ``rock'' resurgence (with the quotes)?

I've barely heard any rock worth listening to in the last three years, and those bands you list, IMHO, barely qualify as rock.

BTW, if anyone else agrees with me, check out the latest Local H album, ``Here Comes the Zoo''. It's the best I've heard in a while. (And if you assumed that they're just a frat band based on that ``copacetic'' song, they're not.)

#83742 - 26/03/2002 23:18 Re: ``Rock'' [Re: wfaulk]
svferris
addict

I've barely heard any rock worth listening to in the last three years, and those bands you list, IMHO, barely qualify as rock.

Heh, that's not the first time I've heard that. But, as I've stated elsewhere on the board, I'm really open minded when it comes to music. I listen to just about everything that exists. I definitely like some of the new bands, like Creed, Godsmack, Drowning Pool and Disturbed. Doesn't mean I want to listen to them for hours on end. But, then again, I don't want to listen to The Beatles or Pink Floyd for hours and hours either.

I think the only music I truly despise is Country. And I mean new Country. Old stuff like Johnny Cash and Kenny Rogers isn't bad. It's the new crap like Travis Tritt or Garth Brooks that annoys the hell out of me.

#83743 - 26/03/2002 23:21 Re: ``Rock'' [Re: svferris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    Old stuff like Johnny Cash and Kenny Rogers isn't bad. It's the new crap like Travis Tritt or Garth Brooks that annoys the hell out of me.
There was a time when Kenny Rogers was the ``new crap''. IMHO, now he's just the ``old crap'', but you get my point.

Regardless, those bands you name are the current ``new crap'' in ``rock'' to me. But to each his own.

#83744 - 26/03/2002 23:52 Re: ``Rock'' [Re: svferris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

My friends and I bash bands like Creed, Limp Bizkit, Matchbox 20, and others constantly. We hate Creed with a passion. The thing is, we might get past that and perhaps even like their music were it not for the band members themselves. They're just so full of themselves and in most cases, unjustifiably. The Beatles could claim they were bigger than anything they wanted to, because it was probably true. These guys just piss me off with their over-inflated egos.

Creed = saviors of rock? Please.

I could go on talking about how much I dislike these bands, but I've given them enough thought already.

#83745 - 27/03/2002 00:23 Re: ``Rock'' [Re: Dignan]
svferris
addict

You probably have a point about the band members. I really don't pay attention to that. I just listen to the music.

I saw a really funny skit on MadTV the other night you guys would probably like. They had a video parody of that song by the Calling. The lyrics were that the lead singer ripped off the singing style of Creed. That lead singer comes in and starts complaining. Then, in walks Eddie Vedder, complaining they both ripped off his singing style. Somebody else walked in too, but I can't remember who that was...More or less, though, they were bagging on the new rock sound.

#83746 - 27/03/2002 08:21 Re: ``Rock'' [Re: Dignan]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I don't really care for egos, but the music business is full of them anyway. You don't have to look far to find them. How could we forget the Oasis/Blur "Who's got the bigger ego" competition a few years back? Anyway I digress.

I have to give Creed huge credit for one track. "Eyes Wide Open" that has wonderful lyrics. You wouldn't expect a heavy rock band to write something quite as emotional as that about the joys and fears of fatherhood, but they did, and also donated a chunk of the proceeds to a childrens charity.

#83747 - 27/03/2002 11:45 Re: The Scorpion King [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't know, but the music from the spinoff of a minor character in a throwaway action/adventure movie needs to work extra hard to redeem it's self

Well, I think that the music from a movie soundtrack should always stand on its own.

But I will agree that when I saw the movie poster for "The Scorpion King", three words entered my mind: Made for video...

#83748 - 27/03/2002 12:26 Re: ``Rock'' [Re: genixia]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
You have to give Creed credit for succeeding without having turntables or rap in their music.. it's just straight rock. There aren't many new rock bands that are the classic drums, bass, guitar, vocals.

Having said that, they do sound like a lot of existing bands. The first time I heard "What If" by Creed on the radio, I could have sworn that Stone Temple Pilots had come out with a new song. It sounds a lot like "Dead and Bloated" by STP.

#83749 - 27/03/2002 13:14 Country [Re: svferris]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
I mean new Country

Oh you must mean when Mutt Lange hooked up with Shania Twain (in more ways than one) and pi$$ed off all the old school country people by turning country into what it is today? My favorite country song is Garth Brooks' version of Hard Luck Woman on the KISS tribute album. Other than that, it's country swing or old old old stuff. But I own no Country or Western music...
Alvin Crowe @ the Broken Spoke in South Austin is a fun time, though... Country swing and that man plays a mean fiddle.

#83750 - 27/03/2002 13:31 Re: Country [Re: davec]
dodgecowboy
enthusiast

Loc: Mississippi State University
I have to say I do like country even up to older Garth Brooks Music, but yes todays crap that they play is nothing more than Boy band/Britney spears type music with a twang. Its very annoying how the music industry has sold out. over half the pop stars dont even sing live at their own concerts, They just lip synch

#83751 - 27/03/2002 22:40 Re: ``Rock'' [Re: cushman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I don't have to give them credit for anything

There are actually plenty of bands out there that are getting fairly popular and are much better quality than the cut and dry style of Creed (imitating the grunge style but with much less creativity and originality).

Check out Queens of the Stone Age sometime, or their previous incarnation Kyuss (for a more straight ahead rock style). They're getting to be fairly well known, and they're coming out with an album this summer which will hopefully bring them even more into the mainstream. They are definitely my favorite band of this time.

PS- about "arms wide open", speaking of STP, check out the song "A Song for Sleeping" for a good rock song about fatherhood (well, it's really a lullaby, but it's by the better rock band of the two )

As you can see, I'm very impartial

*edit*
PPS- I just got an email in my inbox:
"You are ALMOST signed up for Creed E-News.

We just need to make sure that this is a valid email account and that someone else is not trying to sign you up to this list without your permission.

If you would like to receive Creed E-News, simply click on the link below sometime in the next 7 days. If you wait longer than 7 days, you will need to re-sign up at our website. Click below to confirm your request and start receiving Creed E-News:"

I hate Creed.

Edited by DiGNAN17 (27/03/2002 22:42)

#83752 - 27/03/2002 22:52 Re: ``Rock'' [Re: Dignan]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion :-)

Talking about country, a cool country-ish band that I like a ton is the Jayhawks. They've got some decent stuff out in the past decade.

DiGNAN, is your screen name related to the character of the same name in Bottle Rocket? Just wondering.

#83753 - 28/03/2002 04:54 Re: ``Rock'' [Re: cushman]
Laura
pooh-bah

I guess no one else has bought it yet.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#83754 - 28/03/2002 08:33 Re: Scorpian King Soundcard [Re: Laura]
guardian__J
enthusiast

Loc: MI, USA
did you look at the case to see if they are named that way or if someone just submitted it that way?
what are the titles, I'm curious?

#83755 - 28/03/2002 11:24 Re: ``Rock'' [Re: cushman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Good job! Very few people tend to notice that. Owen Wilson is probably my favorite person in movies at the moment. Behind Enemy Lines and Zoolander were dissapointments, but Bottle Rocket is wonderful. Not to mention The Minus Man. Have you seen that? It's fantastic. He's simply creepy in that.

By the way, my favorite rock song about fatherhood is "New Life" by Blind Melon. Blows the hell out of Creed's song any day. Much more heartfelt and introspective.

#83756 - 28/03/2002 14:24 Re: Scorpion King Soundtrack [Re: guardian__J]
Laura
pooh-bah

Ok, for a good laugh I will post the true song title and band and the way they came up on Audiograbber. Laugh away.

Godsmack - "I Stand Alone" came up "I Stand Alone (with my little wanker)"
Creed - "To Whom It May Concern" came up "We Really Need To Find A Day Job"
Nickleback - "Yanking Out My Heart" came up "I Like The Taste Of Fred's Cock"
Flaw - "Only The Strong" came up "How Did We Get On This Soundtrack"

The rest of the songs were correct. Maybe someone else doesn't like these groups either. I think it was a pretty good soundtrack.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#83757 - 28/03/2002 14:37 Re: Scorpion King Soundtrack [Re: Laura]
guardian__J
enthusiast

Loc: MI, USA
that is funny...
and also funny that for someone to do that they had to buy the albumn first...
hmmm...

#83758 - 28/03/2002 14:44 Re: Scorpion King Soundtrack [Re: guardian__J]
Laura
pooh-bah

I just tried bringing up Audiograbber with the cd in again and this time the titles all came up correct so someone's joke was noticed and taken down. Now I have to decide if I want to keep the unusual titles or change them to what they are supposed to be!

MKI #017/90

whatever

#83759 - 31/03/2002 10:11 Re: Scorpion King Soundtrack [Re: Laura]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
How can you even begin to tell most of the bands apart? Nickelback? Creed? Cough. Might as well throw Default in there too and Puddle of Mud and any other of the clone bands of the past two years. Flash in the pans all of them. They all have a certain "sound" so they've been promoted by the record labels and radio stations (which are definitely paid by the labels, not just advertisers) - too bad for the music buying public (us) they all share the very same "sound." Wouldn't surprise me if they got together on the weekends to write all their music together.

The MadTV skit was funny and as true a commentary as you'll find.

The Oasis/Blur ego thing. That was mostly the Oasis (Gallagher brothers) ego thing and heavily perpetuated by the media. They still put any of the recently mentioned bands to shame. And Blur is on another level completely. But it's a big scale, and bands like Suede, Pulp and The Charlatans are at an unreachable distance beyond those still.

Lastly the mention of Matchbox 20 brings up a memory. Last year they played in the area and ticket prices were in the neighborhood of $70 Canadian. I guess playing with Santana got the lead singer thinking his little band deserved those kinds of prices. This is a band that should still be playing $15 club gigs by all accounts. But that's still $15 more than Creed and those other bands should be getting paid (they're nearly as phony as the boy-"bands")

Bruno

#83760 - 31/03/2002 10:54 Re: Scorpion King Soundtrack [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I guess playing with Santana got the lead singer thinking his little band deserved those kinds of prices.

You're making the assumption that the band members have any kind of a say in the price of the tickets.

#83761 - 31/03/2002 10:57 Re: Scorpion King Soundtrack [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Please! Don't be afraid to say what you really want!

But I completely agree with you.

Unfortunately, some of these people don't seem flashes-in-the-pan at the moment. They seem to be the current trend, which means they'll be here for a while.

I agree, they all sound the same. They all have the same insincere, generic "hard rock" sound that wins people over with simplicity. That is one thing I feel the boy bands have done to the whole music scene. Sure, people say there have always been boy bands and there will always be boy bands, but they've never been the whole focus of the music world until these past few years. Once they were ushered in, I think fans of them wanted some rock too and in came the simplistic, unoffending rock and roll we've got today.

That's why I restate my earlier comment about Queens of the Stone Age. They aren't the kind of rock idols that people want these days, so I don't know if they can become famous. These are the guys who frequently go on stage completely naked. I doubt Susie Q who listens to N'Sync and Creed is going to want to listen to them. That's sad.

Well, enough of my tirade.

#83762 - 31/03/2002 11:54 Re: Scorpion King Soundtrack [Re: hybrid8]
Laura
pooh-bah

I think I will just keep my music tastes to myself from now on.

MKI #017/90

whatever