Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#84031 - 27/03/2002 18:33 hard disk error
visuvius
addict

i got the hard disk error in my car for the first time today. It worked though when i unplugged it and put it back in. I searched the message board and found that this is either the drive cable or something about it being too cold, which i doubt in my case. Also, people mentioned the Fujitsu drive is crankier than the IBM. What should i do?

#84032 - 28/03/2002 12:17 Re: hard disk error [Re: visuvius]
njdboy

Loc: San Jose, CA
I think it matters how often it occurs. For me I am still trying to pinpoint my problem. My problem was my player in the morning would not boot. For me it started working like a charm when I left my player in standby mode all night inside my house. Right now that is what I am doing. But I saw someone else mention that if you have Hijack installed, that
you can reboot it without pulling the player out, and that works very well when the no hard disk error occurs. I might try that next. Hope this helps, I will give you more info as I go through it mu\uself.

#84033 - 28/03/2002 19:06 Re: hard disk error [Re: njdboy]
visuvius
addict

Thanks, it does help.

#84034 - 29/03/2002 00:31 Re: hard disk error [Re: visuvius]
warsaw
stranger

Loc: Colorado
I've gotten it about 10 times in the last month or so since I put in the second (Fujitsu) drive. Rebooting has worked every time. I'm certain it has nothing to do with temperature. I haven't gotten a new cable because I kind of doubt that is the problem. Until it starts happening more often I'm not too worried about it. . .

#84035 - 29/03/2002 11:27 Re: hard disk error [Re: warsaw]
njdboy

Well as a test I left it in my car overnight (in my underground garage). It wouldn't boot in the morning, which further confirms that it does have something to do with temperature. I let the drive run a little, and then I pulled it out and back in and all was fine. So the drives I think when cold do not spin properly, they need a warmup. Which explains why leaving it in standby all night is a sure winner.

warsaw, Are you running Hijack? Do you mean you are rebooting through Hijack?

#84036 - 29/03/2002 13:25 Re: hard disk error [Re: njdboy]
warsaw
stranger

Loc: Colorado
No, I am not running hijack. I'm running 2b11. I mean rebooting by pulling it out of the docking sled and putting it back in. In my case, I know it is not the temperature because it has happened in very mild conditions, like the middle of the day on a 60 degree sunny day. There hasn't been any pattern to it. It also never happened until I put in the second drive.

There was a thread a while back about a time-out problem where certain drives wouldn't spin up fast enough to be seen. If I remember correctly, I thought you could adjust this in hijack. Since it's been an infrequent problem and so far has always worked on a reboot, I haven't yet gone to trouble of trying to figure it out.

Bill

#84037 - 29/03/2002 15:06 Re: hard disk error [Re: warsaw]
njdboy

Oh because on 2b11 when I pull out the sled and put it back in it doesn't help the situation. The drive just clicks over and over. I will look into the hijack time-out problem. Thanks for mentioning that.

David Moss from empeg mentioned to me that I might have a dry joint in the IDE header
In reply to:

It is likely that you have a dry joint on the IDE header - this has similar symptoms to the faulty drive cable (which can also be affected by temperature).