Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8456 - 27/05/2000 15:44 Met Hugo, Saw MK2 Prototype
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Well, McComb and I just met Hugo today in San Jose.

He demoed his prototype of the Mark 2 and showed us a sneak preview of the OEM project that they're working on. 

I will type up a report of this experience soon, unless McComb beats me to it. McComb, if you're reading this, make sure you get Hugo's permission before posting any information about the OEM project...

#8457 - 27/05/2000 15:50 Re: Met Hugo, Saw MK2 Prototype [Re: tfabris]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Tony,

I was going to let you deal with commentary (aside from what I already posted including the pics). I prefer to do the lurker thing for the most part. At least until I get my MK2 (very excited about that after today).

-Mike

#8458 - 28/05/2000 12:39 Re: Met Hugo, Saw MK2 Prototype [Re: mcomb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I was going to let you deal with commentary (aside from what I already posted including the pics).

I think it would be cool for you to post your impressions, too. Mainly, what I'd like to see is the perspective of someone who hadn't seen an Empeg in action yet, and seeing it for the first time (remember that most of us Mark1 owners bought ours sight-unseen). Also, you are the owner of an MP Shuttle, and I'd like to see what you think now that you've had a chance to A/B compare the products.

I'm on a borrowed connection here at the Con, so I can't take up too much time at this workstation- so I can't post my full report until I get back after the holiday weekend.

#8459 - 28/05/2000 16:51 Re: Met Hugo, Saw MK2 Prototype [Re: tfabris]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
OK. I was definately impressed. This was the first time I had seen an Empeg in person and the small size and simplicity is really impressive. When compared to the 'pc in the truck' type solutions, it is great how much functionality the guys at Empeg have managed to squeeze into this little package.

The visuals are the most immediately impressive thing. One of my minor gripes about the empeg has always been that the display seems a little small. It may be unfeasable from an engineering standpoint, but it would be really cool to have a face that was entirely an lcd screen (no buttons) so that the visuals could be larger and track information could be displayed without blocking part of the visual.

As far as comparison to the MP Shuttle, the Empeg is definately a superior device. I had always wanted to replace the Shuttle with an Empeg once my number came up. The empeg's playlist technology is far superior, the design is better, and I don't have to worry about finding a hard drive that will actually work with it. In addition, I can't even get the MP Shuttle support people to return my emails (regarding finding a large hard drive that will work properly) where Hugo just took nearly two hours out of his presumably busy schedule to chat with me (I don't even own an Empeg) and Tony (who I believe got his second hand from Ebay).

I am kinda dissapointed that we didn't get to play with voice recognition (Hugo didn't have a mic or the appropriate cabling with him), but I am sure it will be great.

I have been following the creation of the Empeg since before they had even registered empeg.com (I think I first saw Hugo's mp3mobile www page in may or june of '98). It is really neet to see the results of their work.

What more do you want me to say? It was cool ;-)

-Mike

#8460 - 28/05/2000 21:41 Re: Met Hugo, Saw MK2 Prototype [Re: mcomb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

One of my minor gripes about the empeg has always been that the display seems a little small. It may be unfeasable from an engineering standpoint, but it would be really cool to have a face that was entirely an lcd screen (no buttons) so that the visuals could be larger and track information could be displayed without blocking part of the visual.

That was the original plan. In fact, some of the pics at the Empeg web site reflect this. But the bigger display would have cost more, and a remote-control-only system would irritate a lot of people.

When you get the unit into your car, the display doesn't look that small. It's quite big and legible, and very bright. In fact, if it were larger, it would be too distracting when driving at night.

#8461 - 30/05/2000 12:18 Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

As promised, here's my report of meeting Hugo and seeing the Mk2 prototype. I'm doing this completely from memory, and as I was running on very little sleep at the time, my memory may be hazy. Hugo, please correct me if I present any incorrect data here.

Hugo was in San Jose, CA during the week before Memorial Day Weekend. He was there doing FCC testing on the Mk2 prototype (which passed the tests, of course). When Hugo mentioned this fact on the BBS, I realized that I would be in San Jose during the same period, attending Bay Con 2000.

A couple of e-mails and a visit to MapBlast.com later, I discovered that not only would a meeting be feasible, it would be positively easy since Hugo's hotel was only two blocks away from mine. Talk about luck.

I also got in touch with Mike Comb from this BBS, who expressed an interest in being there, too. I tried to get in touch with "eternalsun", but he didn't respond to my BBS messages when I was trying to set things up. (Calvin, where'd you go? We missed you.) I arranged for Mike and I to meet Hugo at his hotel room and see the Empeg. Hugo called me, I called Mike, and we were underway. It was a beautiful morning (a bit windy, though), and I walked over to the hotel.

When Mike and I arrived (about five minutes apart), Hugo had the Mk2 prototype playing through some computer speakers. It was wearing a Mk1 faceplate, but it was made from the new red color instead of the currently-available green/blue/amber. He also had a blue face there. Both faces had an extra hole drilled for the new volume knob (which was just the potentiometer shaft, not the full-treatment knob yet).

Hugo was very nice, and does not seem nearly as short in person as he does in Mike's photo. (L-R: Me, Mike, Hugo). I took some photos, too, but they were taken with a conventional camera. The odds of me getting to the store and getting them developed before the Mk2's start shipping are pretty slim. So you probably won't see my photos on the web. Overall, Hugo seemed to like showing off the Mk2, and was very patient with us and our questions. Nice guy, although there is a disturbing number of Hanson, NSync, and Britney Spears tracks stored on his unit.

Physically, the unit was quite different from the Mark 1. As you can see from Mike's picture of the back of the unit, the plug layout has changed completely. The new feature which surprised me was the slot for a laptop-style security connector which you could use to chain the unit to a desk when it was removed from the car. Also, I noticed that the power connector is in a much easier-to-reach position.

The casing of the unit is much more simplified. The metalwork is now designed with more folds and fewer welds and screws. There are no screws protruding from the top or bottom of the unit (although the drive-tray screws on the sides are still present). To open the top of the case, you remove the faceplate, then slide the top of the case forward to disengage it from the new tab-and-groove assembly which holds it in place. This is all done as one-piece metalwork which was stamped and folded from sheet metal. It obviously simplifies the whole assembly process for the unit.

Inside the unit, it's a model of simplicity. Unlike the Mk1 board which had some "outrigger" boards for certain parts, the Mk2 is just a single main PCB. The new display board in front is much simplified, with the back side being completely smooth save for a couple of large capacitors. What this adds up to is that the drive tray now has a lot more wiggle room, making the shock-mount system much more effective. The rubber shock mounts themselves were still from the Mk1, but Hugo assures me that there will be a newer, even more reliable set of mounts on the final Mk2 units.

The drives now connect via a single IDE cable, with both drives being on the same IDE controller as primary/secondary. The cable folds neatly over the top of the drives and is pre-folded so that you can add a second drive quite easily if you choose to do so.

Interesting story: The screws on the side of the prototype (the ones that hold the drive tray) were actually a bit higher than they were supposed to be. The CAD people were supposed to lower the holes a bit in one of the revisions to the design, but they went the wrong direction and raised them instead. So it's possible that, once the final design is done, we could fit even taller drives into the tray. Empeg hasn't tried it yet, so we don't know.

Hugo showed us some neat features on the main board. There are spaces for chips and components that aren't even filled yet. For example, there's a place for a certain kind of controller chip that would (if such a controller were soldered in and the software were written to take advantage of it) allow an SPDIF output.

As we all know, the audio circuitry has been completely reworked so that the noise floor and floating ground issues are gone, but Hugo also told us that for those who wanted a floating ground system, there are two resistors that you could clip to make it into a floating-ground system. The power supply has been reworked, as well, and the whole system consumes significantly less power than it used to. Hugo says it'll keep running on as little as 6 volts now. Very useful for folks with high-drain starter motors like mine.

The new volume knob was pretty cool. It is just as Rob described it: A very positive, clicky feel. All of its software functions had not yet been determined, but it was certainly doing the volume nicely at this stage. As far as the pushbutton feature of the knob goes, for now, pressing the knob enters the menu structure, and once there, you can twirl the knob to make your selections. I asked about push-for-bass/treble controls and Hugo said it hadn't been implemented even though it's possible to do so in the DSP. I briefly and gently made my case for adding such a feature, but didn't harass him about it.

He demonstrated the new variable brightness on the display. It worked marvelously, allowing 256 levels of brightness, but control for it was not yet implemented in the Empeg menus. He had to telnet into the unit from his laptop and manually modify the values in order to demo the feature. For those who were wondering: The dimmer-control input wire on the Empeg will not allow the display to vary in brightness along with your dashboard lights. It will simply activate the menu-adjustable brightness level when you turn on your dash lights.

We discussed the visuals a little bit, and talked about the levels of gray that are available to the graphics. There is a possibility that they might be able to implement one more shade of gray into the palette, allowing slightly better visuals. It hasn't been finalized, though, so no promises. Hugo did point out that Toby is already doing some time-dithering with the existing visuals to fake more shades of gray than what's already there. Funny, I hadn't noticed until he pointed it out to me, and I'm usually very observant about these things. Oh, and the Hula Hoops bug is supposed to be fixed: Does anyone know if that's gotten into pre-11? I haven't downloaded it yet... I intend to do that once I get done with this update.

Hugo showed us one of the resin-cast parts used for testing the new front panel, and fitted it in place to show us what it looked like. It wasn't the black part of the face (hugo didn't have that with him), but rather, it was the clear part that goes behind the front face and makes up the colored part of the display. To my surprise, it still spans the entire length of the face of the unit. It tucks behind the black part of the face, so it looks like color-changes will still be very easy to do. I expected it to be smaller, only taking up the transparent portions of the face. The reason it's full-length is because it's still the part that's responsible for keeping the RF emissions contained inside the unit. Although now, instead of an embedded wire mesh doing the work, it's a new kind of transparent-but-conductive spray coating that goes on the back side of the unit. I wasn't clear on whether that was a permanent change or whether they did it that way just for the FCC testing. Oh, and while on the subject of the face, the "standby mode" LED on the face is much smaller now, and not quite as obtrusively bright as the original one. It still does that really cool pulsing thing. Heh.

I asked him about the possibility of being able to upgrade my Mk1 to this new face. He pointed out that I'd have to file down some bits of the metalwork in order to make it fit. Since I'd have no trouble doing that (I am, after all, a whiz with a dremel tool), I'll see about badgering Rob into sending me the parts once their inventory is stable later this summer.

Hugo also revealed that they're in the process of getting a custom remote made. It would be the same kind of credit-card remote as they currently supply (there are many companies which use that platform by the way, Kenwood's not the only remote that comes in that casing), only it would have Empeg-specific commands printed on the keypad, and it would use Empeg's own custom set of IR signals rather than the Kenwood ones. Although they won't be ready by the Mk2 initial ship date, the ball is rolling on it. I didn't think to ask whether both remotes would be interoperable with both the Mk1's and the Mk2's, perhaps we'll catch Hugo on that one elsewhere on the BBS.

Since the hotel where Hugo was staying was a high-tech place, it had a broadband internet connection with ethernet plugs in the rooms. Hugo used his laptop to download the new user manual for the Empeg and show it to us in Acrobat. I was very impressed. The manual is incredibly detailed, and gives you everything you need to know about the unit. There are lots of screens shots, both of Emplode and the Empeg's screen. Every conceivable keystroke and button press is laid out for you. I'm pretty sure that it was geared towards the Kenwood remote, though, I dunno what they're going to do when the new remote is available.

He also used VPN to poke around the Empeg intranet while we were there, and showed us some of the stuff there, including a preview of the new web site (very cool- nice work, Rob). Then he showed us a web site with a special kind of third-party microphone designed for in-car voice recognition. This nifty mic is mounted on your car's sun visor, and it's actually four mics arranged into a rod that extends across the edge of the visor. It includes its own DSP circuitry to reject noise and improve voice recognition. Unfortunately, the mic is not cheap: it's about $150.00.

Hugo didn't have a docking sleeve or a mic in San Jose, so he couldn't demo the voice recognition, but here's the deal on the VR as it stands right now: They want to get rid of the need for pressing a button to enter voice commands. Right now, the only way to get around that is via keyword activation ("Empeg!"). They are working with the VR software vendor, who is supplying them with a new version pretty soon, which may allow this sort of thing. They also need to get around the fact that cars are just too damn noisy for really good VR, and it is hoped that products like that third-party mic will allow this. We'll just have to see.

Oh, and there's no mic plug on the unit for in-home use. The only mic connector available is on the docking sleeve.

Finally, Hugo showed us a web site promoting their new OEM project. I'm not sure if I can say who it is or not. Basically, I can get to their web site right now and look at the page, so the product isn't a secret. I'm just not sure whether Empeg is allowed to publicize the fact that it's really their product with an OEM's name on it. Basically, Empeg co-designed the electronics and is writing the software for it, while the OEM is manufacturing, marketing, and selling the unit. Perhaps Hugo will chime in here with the link to the web site, provided he's allowed to talk about it. It looks really nifty.

Well, that's about all I can remember for now. Hugo or Mike, is there anything else you want to chime in with?

#8462 - 30/05/2000 18:17 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
For example, there's a place for a certain kind of controller chip that would (if such a controller were soldered in and the software were written to take advantage of it) allow an SPDIF output.
This is just too cool

I asked about push-for-bass/treble controls and Hugo said it hadn't been implemented even though it's possible to do so in the DSP. I briefly and gently made my case for adding such a feature, but didn't harass him about it.
I will add my gentle persuation here too

Then he showed us a web site with a special kind of third-party microphone designed for in-car voice recognition. This nifty mic is mounted on your car's sun visor, and it's actually four mics arranged into a rod that extends across the edge of the visor. It includes its own DSP circuitry to reject noise and improve voice recognition. Unfortunately, the mic is not cheap: it's about $150.00.
So cheap? Price goes beyond the cool factor here!

Hope the squirt goes well Rob, Hugo et al.

#8463 - 31/05/2000 00:41 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: muzza]
teemcbee
addict

I asked about push-for-bass/treble controls and Hugo said it hadn't been implemented even though it's possible to do so in the DSP. I briefly and gently made my case for adding such a feature, but didn't harass him about it.

Yes - would be cool to be able to select bass/treble with this new knob - as long as there's no voice recognition available. I hope you can then "tell" the empeg how to adjust bass/treble ;-)

Then he showed us a web site with a special kind of third-party microphone designed for in-car voice recognition. This nifty mic is mounted on your car's sun visor, and it's actually four mics arranged into a rod that extends across the edge of the visor. It includes its own DSP circuitry to reject noise and improve voice recognition. Unfortunately, the mic is not cheap: it's about $150.00.
Will thic mic be delivered with the Mk2 or do you have to purchase it on extra-cost?
Is it available at the same time as the Mk2 will ship or will it have to be ordered later?

TeeMcBee

#8464 - 31/05/2000 02:15 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: teemcbee]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It's not included with the Mk2, no. It's been available for over a year (http://www.andreaelectronics.com/). This is the mic we use for our testing.

Hugo

#8465 - 31/05/2000 02:48 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: altman]
teemcbee
addict

So I guess you could use any other mic, too? What's about the connector?
Do you maybe provide some information which other mic's are functioning with the Mk2? Or isn't there such a big difference?

TeeMcBee

#8466 - 31/05/2000 04:41 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: tfabris]
teemcbee
addict

If you can visit their new site - could you maybe tell us the link? (or maybe send me a private msg?)
Do you know (or anybody else out there) when the new site now finally comes online?

TeeMcBee

#8467 - 31/05/2000 05:31 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: teemcbee]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
If you mean the new empeg site, then Tony said that Hugo connected via a Virtual Private Network to the empeg intranet, so there won't be a link to that... (I'm sure as soon as it goes live, we will have a few hundred posts here about it... =)

If it's this oem stuff, then I'm sure a link will appear when the time is right... =)

Jazz
(List 112, S/N 00030, 4 gig blue)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#8468 - 31/05/2000 05:44 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: Jazzwire]
teemcbee
addict

Basically, I can get to their web site right now and look at the page, so the product isn't a secret. I'm just not sure
whether Empeg is allowed to publicize the fact that it's really their product with an OEM's name on it. Basically,
Empeg co-designed the electronics and is writing the software for it, while the OEM is manufacturing, marketing,
and selling the unit. Perhaps Hugo will chime in here with the link to the web site, provided he's allowed to talk
about it. It looks really nifty.

I think Tony meant that he can go to their web site without private network.

But maybe its better if the empeg guys (and women - are there any women working with you?) tell us how to (pre)visit the new web site... rob, altman etc - is there a posibility?

We need something to make the waiting time a little shorter. What would be better than reading something about the Mk2 on the new site ;-)

Tony also said something about the users manual for the Mk2. Is it already finished or do you have to fill some pages till release. is it maybe possible to post a link to download the manual? 'Cause then futural users wouldn't have to wait till the Mk2 arrives. They could pre-read the manual and are well informed and know exactly what to do as soon as the Mk2 comes. :-))

TeeMcBee

#8469 - 31/05/2000 06:50 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: teemcbee]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
Hmmm, I possibly misread that as pages on the OEM's web site, not a site at empeg promoting the OEM product...

Sorry...

Jazz
(List 112, S/N 00030, 4 gig blue)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#8470 - 31/05/2000 07:13 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: altman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
What would I tell an installer about the connections/wiring needed for this mic?

teemcbee: Tony was talking about visiting the web site for the OEM project, not the new empeg site (which is basically what Jazzwire just said).

#8471 - 31/05/2000 07:15 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: Jazzwire]
altman
carpal tunnel

The new website launches tomorrow. You don't have long to wait ;)

Hugo

#8472 - 31/05/2000 07:19 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: Dignan]
altman
carpal tunnel

You can see on the Andrea site, but the connection to the empeg is just a 3.5mm mono jack. The unit has a thick wire with an RJ45 termination which goes to a DSP box: from here, there's a 3.5mm mono jack plug (to the empeg) and a 2-wire power feed (power from the empeg's amp control output).

Hugo

#8473 - 31/05/2000 07:20 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: Dignan]
teemcbee
addict

Uuuppss...
Sorry - It seems that sometimes you read what you would like to read

TeeMcBee

#8474 - 31/05/2000 09:31 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: teemcbee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Let me be clear on how I saw what I saw. There seems to be some confusion:

Hugo showed me their OEM product, as a page on the public internet. It is a "known" product, advertised by a big company, not a secret. I just don't think it's publicized that it's really just an Empeg product being manufactured by a big company.

Hugo tapped into their private network to show me sneak previews of the Mk2 manual and the new web site. You'll see the new web site tomorrow, and you'll see the new Mk2 manual when you buy a Mk2 (it's already off to the printers, having gone through a final set of revisions, according to Rob).

#8475 - 31/05/2000 10:39 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I have an idea! How about you list a bunch of links and we'll guess which one it is! ;)

Anyway, why doesn't Hugo comment on it? He wrote a reply in this thread but didn't mention whether to tell or not or anything else for that matter. Pleeease Hugo, will you pleeease tell us what other magical things you havebeen making?

#8476 - 31/05/2000 13:48 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I think Hugo would rather let you guys try to put two and two together yourselves.

#8477 - 31/05/2000 13:58 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: tfabris]
Kureg

In reply to:

I think Hugo would rather let you guys try to put two and two together yourselves.

Are you kidding? This is more like systems of equations rather than simple arithmetic!!!

Kureg

#8478 - 31/05/2000 14:04 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: Kureg]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
psst - try some of the other forums for clues...
-m

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#8479 - 31/05/2000 14:32 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: dionysus]
Kureg

Yeah, I picked up the clues, but it's pure speculation. I'm just saying that it's not necessarily as easy as putting two and two together. I have a few ideas that are possibilities, the problem is I don't have one idea .

Kureg

#8480 - 31/05/2000 15:49 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
We're covered by a Non Disclosure Agreement. I guess all Hugo did was show you a product on a public web site, and you guessed for yourself that we had a hand in it..? Right? :-)

Rob

#8481 - 31/05/2000 15:53 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Wow, I didn't know that you were under NDA.

He was just surfing the web, after all... crap... Didn't mean to get you into trouble. Okay, everyone, stop trying to put two and two together.

#8482 - 31/05/2000 16:05 Re: Andrea Mike [Re: altman]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
connection to the empeg is just a 3.5mm mono jack

Looks like this noise cancelling mike array is too good to not use for anything else.
How difficult would it be to share this mike with a hands-free cell phone?

I believe my hands-free phone kit has a signal-out that can be used to silence the radio. Would this be strong enough to also drive a relay that switches the mike from Mark to the cell phone?

Henno
ex 00120

#8483 - 31/05/2000 16:09 Re: Andrea Mike [Re: Henno]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'm sure such a relay could be built, but maybe it wouldn't even need a relay. Perhaps you could just connect the mic to both of them and it would work.

#8484 - 31/05/2000 17:18 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: teemcbee]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
I'll prepare a nice small PDF of the manual for posting on the website. It'll be available in a day or two.

--
David
//I'm probably not speaking on behalf of empeg here...

#8485 - 01/06/2000 01:42 Re: Full report on meeting with Hugo [Re: tfabris]
MRHJr
journeyman

Loc: CA
How about this?

Mike......................................(working on losing the "stranger" status)
Mk2 #105 60g

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >