Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#84997 - 02/04/2002 16:54 More Visuals Ideas
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
How about a "liquid" or "plasma" visual? I'm thinking lava lamp like blobs...

I was looking at a book of photographic plates used to record the paths of excited particles. Basically they look like curve rays, as the particle presumedly bounced off of obstacles, creating a fractal like natural curve that's very pleasing to the eye. If this can be modeled somehow that would be very nice indeed.

There is this cool effect you see sometimes on TV, when a video camera operating at a different frequency is filming a video monitor, you see a bright scan line moving slowly vertically across the screen. That looks damn cool i must say....

Finally, I would put forward an enhancement request that when I power down the empeg, the screen should flash completely bright white for a split second, and then it would contract horizontally and vertically until there is a small dot remaining in the center of the screen that fades away. Kind of a nod to the old CRT days.
:-)

Calvin

#84998 - 02/04/2002 18:48 Re: More Visuals Ideas [Re: eternalsun]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Finally, I would put forward an enhancement request that when I power down the empeg, the screen should flash completely bright white for a split second, and then it would contract horizontally and vertically until there is a small dot remaining in the center of the screen that fades away. Kind of a nod to the old CRT days.

Yeah that'd be cool. But it's not likely to ever happen and for a good reason - turning the screen off is one of the first things to happen during a power-fail event so that all remaining power can be used to do more important things like updating the flash memory with current track etc.

#84999 - 03/04/2002 12:03 Re: More Visuals Ideas [Re: genixia]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
How about doing the fade-to-dot enhancement only on switch-to-standby? Power off will make the screen power off immediately.

Calvin

#85000 - 03/04/2002 12:48 Re: More Visuals Ideas [Re: eternalsun]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I was thinking about that as an option. But what would be even cooler would be the ability to play either a selected or a random 'generic' animation at this point. Given that the drives are mounted 'ro' whilst the player is active, this should be possible. Unfortunately, I doubt that my coding skills are up to the task...but I'll take a look sometime.