Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#90995 - 03/05/2002 06:32 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: ]
thenominous

Loc: UK
They played with my system when my car got nicked, I'd had a BIG BAD BASS CD in there, and they'd been listening to it alright. Seems like they had removed the sub before they crashed the car tho, strange order to do things

Ive just bought a spare dock, faceplates, and remote before the store closes, but ouch! Half of what I paid for my empeg
It does leave me wondering if there is going to be a big slash price sale at the end of the month, but I want going to chance it...

#90996 - 03/05/2002 07:13 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: Memil]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
What? You all smoke in the car?
Ugh!

That was a *nice* "Ah, Sweden"! I am probably one of the most anti-tobacco people you might ever meet. I just find the national/regional differences interesting. With respect to smoking, if I could make a comparison to the U.S., I guess I could say Sweden ~= California where France ~= Las Vegas (one of the most smoke-friendly places here) or North Carolina.

I just hope it wasn't a cigar!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#90997 - 03/05/2002 08:37 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: jimhogan]
Memil

Loc: Sweden
In reply to:

That was a *nice* "Ah, Sweden"! I am probably one of the most anti-tobacco people you might ever meet.

Ahh... sorry!
Well its somewhat rare that someone smoke in their cars here in sweden. Even some of the car-companies(like Saab) don't include the cig-lighter when you buy the car.

/Fredrik

#90998 - 03/05/2002 08:43 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: ]
Memil

It was at random still att the top 20 songs soo if they had been listening it was a very short while...

They were just to stupid...

They tossed out my PalmVx, GBA+3 games, The cars servicebook, , the alarm-manual(!) and some more...
But they did take and kept the window/handcleaners things you get when you wash the car. Strange fellows...

#90999 - 03/05/2002 08:46 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: justinlarsen]
Memil

In reply to:

ewww.. smoking in a car distroys it those bastards

Well yes.... But they only smoked one cigarrette. I cleaned the whole car with soap and water. I cant smell it anymore, neither can my girlfriend(or is she just being nice?)

#91000 - 03/05/2002 08:49 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: Memil]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Ahh... sorry!
Don't mind me....I'm smiley-impaired!
Well its somewhat rare that someone smoke in their cars here in sweden. Even some of the car- companies(like Saab) don't include the cig-lighter when you buy the car.
That is now common here, too. No lighter in my Subaru, just the socket and a plastic plug. Of course then Subaru turns around and decides to play tobacco billboard again in WRC (grrrr....) so the behavior is not always consistent.

If you can imagine it, in 1985 I was working on a medical intensive care unit (many of the patients were smoking-related lung disease) and you could smoke in the very small conference room in the middle of the unit! Not so today. Perhaps one or two things change for the better!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#91001 - 03/05/2002 08:57 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: thenominous]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
It does leave me wondering if there is going to be a big slash price sale at the end of the month

Don't worry, that's not going to happen. Remaining stock will be kept for servicing (in addition to our existing servicing inventory).

Rob

#91002 - 03/05/2002 09:02 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: jimhogan]
Memil

In reply to:

If you can imagine it, in 1985 I was working on a medical intensive care unit (many of the patients were smoking-related lung disease) and you could smoke in the very small conference room in the middle of the unit! Not so today. Perhaps one or two things change for the better!

Its just like when I was little all grownups smoked all the time and everywere. That was really stupid...

But shouldnt say to much, I do like to have a nice cigarr(cuban) and a whiskey(scotch) once and awhile. But it only tends to be in the summer when I can enjoy it outside.

/Fredrik

#91003 - 05/05/2002 17:33 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: jimhogan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
North Carolina (where I'm sitting as I type this) actually has some fairly restrictive smoking laws. In Raleigh (the capital), there is no smoking allowed in public buildings except for in sections of restaurants. Las Vegas has way more smoke in it than Raleigh does. Then again, Raleigh is a pretty urban place. It's definitely worse out in the country, where you can still find some high schools that have smoking sections for students (this speaks to both the rural acceptance of smoking, as well as to the number of high school students over the age of 18).

#91004 - 06/05/2002 04:01 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: wfaulk]
Anonymous
Unregistered

You say public buildings, but I think you mean private buildings that are open to the public. I think that's f'd up when laws are being made telling people what they can and can't do in their own building. If you don't like smoke, don't go in. In france (or was it canada?), they recently passed a law to the effect that you can't smoke in a donut shop with kids in the shop. So you know what happened? All the donut shops banned kids. That's what you get when you have f'd up laws.

#91005 - 06/05/2002 06:03 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: ]
rob
carpal tunnel

How many people go to a doughnut shop for a smoke?? Most food shops around here ban smoking, and it has nothing to do with principles or the law - it's just to prevent the food getting all smokey!

Sadly it now seems British law is moving in that direction, and a Bournemouth cafe owner was recently jailed for letting people smoke in his premises. Oh, wait, that was a different kind of smoking

Rob

#91006 - 06/05/2002 06:08 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: rob]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Exactly, it should be the shop owner's choice, not law.

#91007 - 06/05/2002 06:11 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: ]
rob
carpal tunnel

My point was that given their limitted options I find it interesting that "all" of the doughnut shop owners have chosen to have people smoke in their stores rather than let kids in. That definitely sounds like France.

Rob

#91008 - 06/05/2002 07:11 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: rob]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Intrigued to see what happens when they open the first Edinburgh cannabis cafe - looks like it will be soon.
Technically illegal, but the police would rather go for the hard stuff and let your typical stoned student get munchies in peace.
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#91009 - 06/05/2002 15:18 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: Memil]
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
I would rather them smoke in the car than puke or piss in it. Course I smoke

MKI #017/90

whatever

#91010 - 06/05/2002 15:33 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: wfaulk]
CurlyKicker

Loc: Orange County, CA
California is even more restrictive. No one can smoke indoors anywhere (except for cigar shops). I love going to a club and not getting that stuffy nose from breathing in all that smoke.

I work at a restaurant as a valet and out front there is an ash tray. It's kind of funny, but when there's a convention in town it gets filled with cigarettes. Otherwise it stays empty most of the time. I'm convinced that either the strict anti-smoking laws forced people to quit or most smokers just moved out of state

#91011 - 06/05/2002 17:11 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: CurlyKicker]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Yay for California. One of the reasons i love this state. Not that i often go to bars or clubs anyhow, but when i do, at least i won't be sick for the next two days from the smoke. However, most of the shows (small concerts) i go too still have plenty of people smoking, as it's rarely enforced other than at bars.

#91012 - 06/05/2002 17:21 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: CurlyKicker]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    California is even more restrictive.
I don't doubt it. I was just refuting the implied notion that there was this sort of laissez-faire attitude in North Carolina towards smoking.

#91013 - 06/05/2002 18:11 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: CurlyKicker]
Laura
pooh-bah

Well when they finally get all of us smokers to quit and loose all of the tax money we have to pay and they end up raising beer tax $.50 a can, don't cry to us.

I gave up going to baseball games when they banned smoking in the seats in Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati (which is an open stadium). I could have people dump beer on me and cuss around me but god forbid I smoke and offend their asses. I don't smoke around people who don't like it but sometimes it gets taken a little too far.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#91014 - 06/05/2002 18:37 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: Laura]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I don't smoke around people who don't like it...

And just how do you manage that neat little trick, Laura?

Since you are a smoker, I suspect that you do not know just how much your sense of smell has deteriorated, and you probably do not realize just how far away a non-smoker can be from your cigarette and still be troubled by it.

You might think that, oh, 50 feet would be plenty of separation, but if you lit up a cigarette within 50 feet of me, I would know it in a few seconds. I'd be too polite (actually, probably just too much of a wimp) to say anything about it, but it would make me unhappy.

tanstaafl.

#91015 - 06/05/2002 19:03 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It's possible. I've known people who are smokers, and when they told me they smoked, I was surprised to learn it-- there was no evidence that they smoked, their apartment and clothing did not smell like smoke, etc. There is a such thing as people who smoke politely and discreetly. They're rare, but they do exist.

#91016 - 06/05/2002 19:09 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: tanstaafl.]
Laura
pooh-bah

I don't smoke in houses or cars or around people who don't like it. There are smells that offend me like perfumes and colonges. Can I expect everyone that I might come in contact with not to wear them because I don't like it? No.

People just need to lighten up a bit about it. It's becoming another political correctness issue. I just think there are worse things one can do in life than smoke. I don't lie, cheat or steal but I smoke.

MKI #017/90

whatever

#91017 - 06/05/2002 20:56 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: tanstaafl.]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, you're right. Our sense of smell does deteriorate. You have no idea how much more pleasant the world can be when you don't have to smell other peoples BO, farts and bad breath.

But I admit that is a selfish point of view. But there was a period of 2 months after I had restarted smoking that I couldn't bring myself to tell my wife. She didn't notice, and I had to tell her because the guilt was getting to me, and it was getting too hard to sneak away for a quick smoke at weekends. So it can't be *that* bad. But generally I only smoke outside - never in the house or car. Spending an evening in a smoky bar results in my clothes stinking.

Can we have a law that makes farting, not showering and not keeping our breath fresh illegal? Why not? Kinda ludicrous really isn't it. A bit of commonsense and consideration goes a long way.

#91018 - 06/05/2002 22:30 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: genixia]
lofreq
stranger

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
bo, bad breath and farting arent damaging to the next person tho, when compared to smoking, are they... other than the unpleasant factor. so in that respect i can justify laws against one and not the other.

being a nonsmoker i tend to rejoice at the non-smoking notices i see in food establishments, and other public areas - and i do find smoking unpleasant to begin with, but i have no problem with smokers who are 'considerate' about what they do - like mentioned here, going outside or out the back to have a smoke... not leaving butts and ash all over the place, and so on. i think that really is the most you can ask from any decent person who also smokes.

the problem really would stem from establishments that offer no control whatsoever over smoking, or those that promote it even. ok, so you cant help that if youre in a bar or a club, well i guess smokers there can tell nonsmokers to go get stuffed... as the majority of people in those places would (i guess??) be smokers anyway? but i can live with that section of 'public areas' crossed off from my list of comfortable zones. but if you have to put up with that wherever you go, like trying to go into a donut shop to buy a sugar donut, and coming out a walking ad for marlboro, i think thats a bit too much.

#91019 - 06/05/2002 23:28 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: lofreq]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I don't smoke and find it to be the most disgusting habit invented by mankind and feel the smokers are inconsiderate slobs (like when they throw the butts out their car windows try to find a place were you don't see those things on the ground) but I don't want more government regulations there are far too many already. I prefer to just not go to smoke filled dumps.

Matt

#91020 - 07/05/2002 10:09 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: Laura]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

I don't smoke in houses or cars or around people who don't like it. There are smells that offend me like perfumes and colonges. Can I expect everyone that I might come in contact with not to wear them because I don't like it? No.

There is one problem though:
If you smell of smoke, perfume or whatever, that doesn't stick to me when I pass you. I might dislike the smell, but (almost) as soon as you are gone, the smell is gone, too.
However, if you smoke near me, the smell of that smoke will stick to me, which offends me, to say the least. So generally, I don't have a problem with you smoking, but I would have a problem if you did it near me.

Well, I guess we don't ever meet in person, so well, do whatever you like.

Regarding the political correctness issue: I do think that smoking near people who don't like that is impolite. It shouldn't be made illegal though. If you asked me, I would change laws a bit:
  1. legalize marihuana (alternatively: prohibit alcohol and tobacco, but that is unlikely)
  2. make it illegal to smoke in publicly accessible buildings except for areas where it is explicitly allowed. It should only be allowed either in the whole building or only in areas where the smoke can't get to non-smoking areas.
  3. fine some serious amount (like 40$ or something) for throwing litter (like chewing gums, cigarette remainders etc.) on streets or generally to any place other than trash cans. (Have you ever been to the moscow underground when it was still in good shape? You could earn a two days stay in jail just for spitting your old chewing gum to the ground. As a result, the underground was perfectly clean.)
While I am not very serious about prohibiting alcohol, the rest are serious wishes of mine. Geee, I'm pretty extreme there, right?

cu,
sven

cu,
sven

#91021 - 07/05/2002 10:37 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: lofreq]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
There are no indications (other than those invented by lawyers) that reasonable amount of second-hand smoke is harmfull. That said, smoking around nonsmokers is about as polite as farting. Which reminds me: I was cursed with a company of a co-worker who insisted on wearing something patchouli-derived he called cologne, which to me evoked images of a moldy old mattress left to rot for a year or two in a flooded basement. Now, with all due respect to Doug's fine nose , this was much worse than a smoker 15 meters upwind.

Being a cigar and pipe smoker, I appeal to all non-smokers to understand that no fine meal is complete without coffee and brandy accompanied by a nice smoke. While most restaurants in Croatia still have decent sections for smokers, global trend is dusturbing . Come on, people, live and let live!

And finally, there is a saying here: kissing a smoker is similar to licking an ashtray
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#91022 - 07/05/2002 10:40 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: smu]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Geee, I'm pretty extreme there, right?

To the contrary, I think you are perfectly reasonable.
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#91023 - 07/05/2002 10:43 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: smu]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

fine some serious amount (like 40$ or something) for throwing litter (like chewing gums, cigarette remainders etc.) on streets or generally to any place other than trash cans. (Have you ever been to the moscow underground when it was still in good shape? You could earn a two days stay in jail just for spitting your old chewing gum to the ground. As a result, the underground was perfectly clean.)

The Singaporean method would work... 6 cracks of the cane on your palm. But mabe that's a bit extreme

#91024 - 07/05/2002 10:45 Re: Stolen Empeg/Car [Re: genixia]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
The Singaporean method would work... 6 cracks of the cane on your palm

What, "work" like the way the death penalty in the States prevents murders ?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >