Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#91693 - 02/05/2002 11:05 Help on subwoofer placement/security
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
ok. i'm setting myself up for my incoming empeg. yesterday, i installed my temp_din_deck/amp/sub with the wiring. i got a hsu 1202m sub connected to a hifonics zeus z700 in a 99 civic coupe.

The problem is, the sub is cylindrical... and is rolling around the trunk whenever i accelerate and decelerate. Ideally, i would've just strapped it on to the back of the back seat, but the amp was placed there...

what should i do to secure it down? i've been suggested with bungee cords and anchors bolted floor.. that'll keep it still, but wont deter a thief from unhooking and taking. if someone was ever to get into my trunk... i'd like to make it almost impossible for a thief to get anything quickly and require them to actually steal my car. the amp is bolted down, and i want some of the same security for the sub. any suggestions?

thanks

#91694 - 02/05/2002 11:17 Re: Help on subwoofer placement/security [Re: image]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Those cylinder woofers usually come with mounting hardware (straps and screw-down mounting points for the straps) to keep them from rolling around. Didn't you get any of that when you bought it?

I personally don't like the tube units and prefer the hatchback-box shape like I've got in my car.

#91695 - 02/05/2002 12:55 Re: Help on subwoofer placement/security [Re: tfabris]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

You could always build a box like mine. You do have to give up the spare though, but hey I got free roadside assistance. http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte456v/images/top.jpg
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte456v/images/bottom.jpg

No I dont smoke I was at my friend's who does and it was the best thing to give perspective. Second in the bottom picture the little thing on the bottom of the box is the thing my spare tire holder screwed into. When I got in my accident I hit the curb sideways so hard it ripped the rivets out of the metal. The box mounts flush in the trunk and I cut a hole in the carpet for the sub and placed a grill over it. The whole thing sits up a few extra inchs than it did with just the little spare cover but no big deal really considering you have a no cluttered trunk.