Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#93868 - 14/05/2002 12:21 shocked everytime i touch my empeg
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
heh. thanks guys for the docking bay advice. its in there now, and not slipping. just not the prettiest job.

now... i've been driving around my car and everytime i get out, i recieve a slight static shock from the car... which i thought was wierd, but i lived w/ it.

today, i came out my car, got shocked as usual... then turned around because i forgot my empeg. i took it out of the bay, and when i went out, i got shocked again, making me believe that i'm getting charged by touching it (while driving, undocking, etc.). did i forget to do something that would cause this?

#93869 - 14/05/2002 12:25 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: image]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Not good. Something is not grounded properly, or is shorted. Not a very healthy environment for electronics of any sort.

#93870 - 14/05/2002 13:24 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: image]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It is common for a car to shock you after a drive, especially if you've just put new tires on the car or it has a cloth interior. The empeg may not have anything to do with it.

More information to be found here, from Tom and Ray, of course.

#93871 - 14/05/2002 13:39 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: image]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

More likely to be friction between you and some garment. Or some garment and your car's interior. May I suggest avoidng nylon underwear

Fleeces are also a problematic garment. Which is a pain as static is most prevalent during the winter when the air is dryer, ie when you want a fleece the most.

The good news is that static sensitive components are far less sensitive once they are in a circuit, and that it is highly unlikely that you would build up enough charge to build up the potential on the whole case (with respect to any non-grounded 'floating' signal) to do any damage.

But still, there are some precautions that you can take in times when static is prevalent. Touch something big and metal after any movement before you touch anything sensitive. Some cars (eg Mazda MX3) have a grounding contact on the door. Avoid touching electrical connections unneccesarily (eg serial port, LAN etc). If neccesary, keep yourself grounded while moving about. Avoid nylon/polyester based clothes.

Don't be paranoid about it - just exercise some common sense when required.

#93872 - 14/05/2002 13:45 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: genixia]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

More likely to be friction between you and some garment.

You'd be surprised. Getting out of the car, in many cases, it's the low-rolling-resistance tires (lack of ground path) and the static buildup from the wind and other frictions that causes the shock.

#93873 - 14/05/2002 13:49 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: tfabris]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

today, i came out my car, got shocked as usual... then turned around because i forgot my empeg. i took it out of the bay, and when i went out, i got shocked again

Interesting link about the tires though. I never knew that.

#93874 - 14/05/2002 14:00 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
More information to be found here, from Tom and Ray, of course.

I remember the occasion upon which Tom and Ray were compelled to expound upon this. The caller had new tires on her minivan but could not kiss her husband for fear of modest electrocution.

The answer of course: a ground strap llike the big boys.

Tony, you have a minivan...don't you?

Jim

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#93875 - 14/05/2002 14:12 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I was going to mention the ground strap, but (a) I couldn't find a web address where Tom and Ray mentioned it in print and (b) couldn't find a place online that actually sold ground straps that I could link.

I'm considering getting one myself because the new Michelins on my Accord have given me a serious case of the on-exit shocks. Anyone know where you can get these mythical items?

#93876 - 14/05/2002 17:13 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
In the 80's every other car in the UK had one of these, as they were sold to prevent travel sickness. I guess people are less gullible these days and I haven't seen one in years.

Rob

#93877 - 14/05/2002 17:41 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: rob]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

as they were sold to prevent travel sickness.

Wow. Science!!

I thought it would be easy to Google a link to these, but that didn't turn out to be the case. I found lots of references to ground straps on forklifts in high-risk/explosive environments, and a few references to "metal-impregnated rubber ground straps you can get at truck stops", but no JC Whitney-esque parts listing for humble consumers.

So, they are real, but where to get them?

Jim

#93878 - 14/05/2002 18:04 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I thought it would be easy to Google a link to these, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

Yeah, forgot to mention that I tried that route already. Came up with the same results you did.

Even tried Kragen auto parts, no go.

#93879 - 14/05/2002 18:39 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: tfabris]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
I got mine at the local NAPA auto parts store.
Not sure what they called it exctly, I just described what I wanted and took what they gave me.
The joys of being "a stranger here myself".

#93880 - 15/05/2002 10:52 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: tfabris]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Just get a wire and tie it to the frame and dangle it on the ground. Cheap.

Calvin

#93881 - 15/05/2002 11:15 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: eternalsun]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Aggressive Canadian red squirrels in Britich Columbia have been known to surf on cars (a la Snow Crash) with solid wire ground straps, so I think they've been banned by DMV in U.S. border states. The metal impregnated rubber straps, OTOH, are designed to wear down (and break away as needed).

Jim

#93882 - 15/05/2002 11:27 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: jimhogan]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
okay... from what i gather... i am getting shocked because my car can't ground completely because of its tires... and my empeg is probably adding to that problem by putting more electrons in the frame. thats why i only get shocked when my foot is touching the earth, because i'm completing the circuit.

for some reason, this is reminding me of a transformers episode where someone had a lightning gun which was kicking their ass in autobot form, and the only way to defeat him was to transform to car, and let another stand on top of you.

stupid nostalgia. thanks guys.

#93883 - 15/05/2002 11:35 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Aggressive Canadian red squirrels in Britich Columbia have been known to surf on cars (a la Snow Crash) with solid wire ground straps

Now -THAT- is something I'd like to see.

#93884 - 16/05/2002 11:02 Re: shocked everytime i touch my empeg [Re: genixia]
Whitey

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Don't be paranoid about it - just exercise some common sense when required.

I had to install a metal plate beside my door to discharge to before i touched any parts in my computer warehouse.
The fall and the spring was always the worst. it seems that anytime the humidity is low, i get the pacemaker stoppers.