Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#9404 - 14/06/2000 14:40 Aux input question
Steve3kgt
new poster

I'm in the process of installing my empeg and I have decided to replace my double din factory radio w/ my empeg and an aftermarket headunit. I know that I'll need an auxillary input on the headunit to support the empeg. My question is will a single left and right audio input sufice or will I need to find a unit w/ 2 sets of left and right inputs (front and rear)?

--Steve

#9405 - 14/06/2000 14:47 Re: Aux input question [Re: Steve3kgt]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I know that I'll need an auxillary input on the headunit to support the empeg.

Or, you could use the RCA outputs on the head unit going into the Empeg's Aux-in. The relative advantages and disadvantages to doing it this way have been hashed through pretty comprehensively in this thread.

My question is will a single left and right audio input sufice or will I need to find a unit w/ 2 sets of left and right inputs (front and rear)?

No, you always use only a left-and-right input. I don't think there's even a such thing as a 4-channel Aux-in.

#9406 - 14/06/2000 14:53 Re: Aux input question [Re: tfabris]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
If you go for something like a Sony or Alpine, there are bus-in adaptors which work well - Steve@empeg uses this in his Volvo (sony single disc head, empeg below)

Hugo

#9407 - 15/06/2000 07:23 Re: Aux input question [Re: altman]
trevorp

Loc: Ft Lauderdale, FL
OK, I guess it's time to de-lurk as I am actually interested in a bus-in adapter for my Alpine 7525 head unit.

First my info, then a request for more info on the adapter.

I first got turned on to the idea of in-car mp3 when I ran across Hugo's mp3 player from a link on the Distributed.net DES RC5 page.

From Hugo's page, I found the link to his empeg project, and have been hooked ever since.

I have built a player from an old 200MMX box, and it works well, but it's nowhere near as elegant a solution as the empeg. Not to mention the fact that I drive a Chevy S-10 extended cab pickup and I don't really need another item in the back saying "steal me."

I've been following the progress of the empeg, and finally registered for one around January of this year (now that I can actually afford one :)

I'll try to contribute wherever I can, since Car stereos are a hobby of mine (never actually competed, but built a couple of systems that would have done ok.)

Now for the info request. Anyone know where I could get a Bus-in adapter for my Alpine? At least until the FM receiver is ready, I'd like to be able to still get the local stations.

Thanks,
-Trevor

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB, Tuner, 2.0b11, 080000349