Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#94185 - 15/05/2002 23:00 Would someone be willing to scan their receipt...
MisterBeefhead

Loc: Crete, Il USA
And send me a copy? And probably others around here?

The thing is, the Empeg is a strange sort of situation insurance-wise. It's a head unit that is also a valuable collector's item. I'm sure that insurance companies wouldn't see it that way, though...

So what I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to scan their receipt from their Empeg from when it cost a bundle, and e-mail it to those of us who pay extra for stereo insurance? I know it's not completely honest, but neither is an insurance company reimbursing a theft victim $299 or less for an item that cannot be replaced for less than $700 (and rising).

Of course, I suppose I could just have my friend write me up a receipt, as she actually did buy it for me, but I have my doubts about coverage for items that can only be substantiated with person-to-person receipts.

Any input?

#94186 - 16/05/2002 03:19 Re: Would someone be willing to scan their receipt [Re: MisterBeefhead]
Dredd
enthusiast

Loc: Bay Area, California
Contact your insurance agent to change your policy to "replacement cost". It costs a bit more usually, but then you'll get what it costs to replace the unit, not what you paid for it.

D

#94187 - 16/05/2002 04:10 Re: Would someone be willing to scan their receipt [Re: Dredd]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Have you heard of the word "fraud"? You get covered for what you paid for and that's $299 or whatever. I hate insurance as much as the next guy and have been screwed over twice now. Once for $1000 and the other time for $8000.

If you get caught trying what you are thinking you will be in trouble.

I agree with Dredd, ask for replacement cost on insurance and if they don't have it, go elsewhere.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#94188 - 16/05/2002 05:24 Re: Would someone be willing to scan their receipt [Re: Shonky]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
I'd agree with the others here. If you want to defraud your insurance company I want no part of it. My receipts stay put.

If you paid $200 for your empeg, then unless you have replacement cover thats all you are entitled to if you make a claim.

If you thinks its worth more than this to replace (which it is for most folks now) - then try asking for a "agreed value" policy - where you and the insurance company agree, in advance, what they will pay out if its lost/stolen etc. Of course this will mean you pay a higher premium than the $200 cover, but thats part of the deal.

Also be aware - If you insure your empeg for replacement value check the fine print on the contract first.

A lot of "replacement" insurance covers consumer electronics only if they are (still) being manufactured and are readily available/available for sale (from the manufacturer) - the Empeg quite clearly is not and replacement cover will only be effective if the equipment is less than a set number of years old (I think 5-10 for consumer electronics is the normal limit).

I know of very few insurance companies that will take on a "regular" replacement cover insurance risk where the replacement costs will go up and up every year in a hard to predict way.

As more Empegs get lost/stolen/damaged etc there will be less and less of the orignal 4000+ for sale and those few that are for sale will no doubt command a premium for the likes of folks wanting to replace their empegs whether their insurance company is picking up the tab or not.

You are almost going to have to take out a special insurance policy - you will also probably find your cover gets more and more expensive every year as well even if you don't claim and perhaps in 5 years they may refuse coverage for any price.

And don't forget "wear and tear" on your empeg won't be covered

#94189 - 16/05/2002 12:31 Re: Would someone be willing to scan their receipt [Re: number6]
MisterBeefhead

Had a couple in my e-mail when I woke up this morning. Headed down to my agent today with my big-assed folder of receipts.

Sheesh, the system in my car is worth about three times my cost for the car itself.

#94190 - 16/05/2002 14:40 Re: Would someone be willing to scan their receipt [Re: MisterBeefhead]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
In reply to:

Sheesh, the system in my car is worth about three times my cost for the car itself

I think many of us fall into that category. I am lucky in that my best friends mother is my insurance agent, and will pull strings for me!

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#94191 - 16/05/2002 15:10 Re: Would someone be willing to scan their receipt [Re: number6]
warsaw
stranger

Loc: Colorado
There's nothing fraudulent about it. Fraud would be if he were asking for the receipt for purposes of filing a claim, which it doesn't sound like he is doing.

I think he's just trying to purchase the amount of insurance that he feels would truly cover his loss. The insurer is going to base their premium on the amount of coverage he is requesting. Unless the empeg has already been stolen or he's planning on filing a phony claim, there's nothing dishonest about it.

#94192 - 16/05/2002 20:58 Re: Would someone be willing to scan their receipt [Re: warsaw]
MisterBeefhead

In reply to:

Originally posted by warsaw
There's nothing fraudulent about it. Fraud would be if he were asking for the receipt for purposes of filing a claim, which it doesn't sound like he is doing.

That is my point exactly. I hope I never, ever get my Empeg stolen, but if I ever do, the receipts I now have will cover the actual value of it.

I mean, If someone wants to sell me a $20,000 car for $5000, my insurance will still cover me for the value of my $20,000 car. It's not my fault that they don't know what an Empeg is truly worth, but I at least took enough initiative to cover my own ass.