Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#9501 - 16/06/2000 17:11 No More Lurking For Me
Laura
pooh-bah

Loc: Greenhills, Ohio
I have been lurking for a while but decided to join since I read that you don't bite here and I am #15121 in the queue. I hope by the time my number is up I will be able to afford to buy one. And I hope I will be able to come here for help if I do. Mine will be a tough install in an older car and will require some figuring it all out since I will probably need to buy an amp or maybe two and maybe another set of speakers though I don't know where I will put them. Well anyway, from reading all of the posts here I hope that I will have an empeg to enjoy one of these days as much as everyone else here seems to. You usually do not find that many people happy with a product nor so involved with it. I do enjoy listening to good music, I just haven't up to this point been able to afford much better than an AIWA home system which is pretty low end and pathetic and my car has used equipment but sounds better than I have at home. At some point I hope I will be able to contribute something useful on this board.

Laura

MKI #017/90

whatever

#9502 - 16/06/2000 18:36 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: Laura]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Welcome, Laura.

The kitties on your webcam are very cute.

#9503 - 16/06/2000 18:51 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: tfabris]
Laura
pooh-bah

Thank you, I think so too. And they are very good company to have around but total bed hogs. It seems that quailty audio is more of a guy thing as I haven't noticed any other females on this BBS, but maybe I am wrong.

Laura

MKI #017/90

whatever

#9504 - 16/06/2000 22:17 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: Laura]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It seems that quailty audio is more of a guy thing as I haven't noticed any other females on this BBS, but maybe I am wrong.

Nah, you're right. But the same statement could be made about '73 Nova SS's...

I believe the "gender" question was actually asked here a couple months ago. I think you may actually be the first lady to chime in here. Since this BBS mostly consists of Empeg owners, and there are fewer than 400 Empeg owners at this time, it's not a very big population sample to base conclusions on. In any case, gender stereotypes are mostly meaningless anyway. I think it's great that you're into muscle cars, flying, and high-tech audio. I'm into kitty cats and gardening... big deal.

I agree that fitting the Empeg into that Nova is going to be a challenge since DIN slots had yet to be invented. You're going to have to build (or have built for you) a custom mount of some kind, perhaps a custom center console. Is that more work than what you were expecting?

#9505 - 16/06/2000 23:47 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: Laura]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
...welcome aboard:) and Tony's right - your kitties are adorable on your bed:)
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#9506 - 17/06/2000 01:03 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: tfabris]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
I believe the "gender" question was actually asked here a couple months ago. I think you may actually be the first lady to chime in here.

Well, let me defend my friend "kim" here who has been posting for quite some time in the Technical forum on the empeg boards. Of course, I'm assuming "kim" is a female, and that "she" has an empeg... But I've had many discussions with her about the oldschool PC/Amiga demo scene (from the early 90's).. Plus, she (as far as I know) coded the first ever EMPEG-Intro and scroller (which is actually very impressive if you haven't seen it... Go to the technical forums and search for it.. It's definitely worth the download/install..).

I'm very much looking forward to seeing more from Kim when the MK2's ship out, since she is very obviously an adept programmer.

Ciao,

The HitMan [ACiD] aka ClemsonJeep 8)

(O|||||O)

#9507 - 17/06/2000 01:17 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: ClemsonJeep]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Of course, I'm assuming "kim" is a female, and that "she" has an empeg...

Use caution- Kim can be a name for the male gender in some countries. Kim is from Finland...

#9508 - 17/06/2000 02:03 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: ClemsonJeep]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Well, let me defend my friend "kim" here who has been posting for quite some time in the Technical forum on the empeg boards. Of course, I'm assuming "kim" is a female, and that "she" has an empeg... But I've had many discussions with her about the oldschool PC/Amiga demo scene (from the early 90's).. Plus, she (as far as I know) coded the first ever EMPEG-Intro and scroller (which is actually very impressive if you haven't seen it... Go to the technical forums and search for it.. It's definitely worth the download/install..).

I'm very much looking forward to seeing more from Kim when the MK2's ship out, since she is very obviously an adept programmer.

Sorry, I'm male - wrong assumption

In Europe, the name Kim usually refers to a male; which I believe is just the opposite in the US (sigh, can't we even have standards here ).

So, I believe Laura will stand on the first female place in this board, congratulations Laura!

PS: Tony, you got it right.

Kim

#9509 - 17/06/2000 03:56 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: kim]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
Also I remember you setting someone strait on another thread.

PS I have a friend here in the US and his name is Kim.

-Waiting to replace the hole in my truck with a Mark2

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#9510 - 17/06/2000 04:29 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: bmihulka]
Laura
pooh-bah

I agree that fitting the Empeg into that Nova is going to be a challenge since DIN slots had yet to be invented. You're going to have to build (or have built for you) a custom mount of some kind, perhaps a custom center console. Is that more work than what you were expecting?

I will have to look into the center console, thanks for that idea. I don't want to make too many changes to the car but something that could be removed and not leave permanent marks would work. I have seen center consoles in some of the parts catalogs for holding gauges, maybe they could be made to work or like you said, have something custom made. The radio hole for sure is not a normal DIN slot and neither are there speaker holes in the door panels or dash, the ones I have now are being mounted in the rear window package tray. Maybe when I have the empeg on order I can get some suggestions on a good amp to buy. In the meantime I will get some audio magazines and start reading.

Laura

MKI #017/90

whatever

#9511 - 17/06/2000 08:30 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: Laura]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Again, howdy Laura,

Great move to get Car Audio Mags, there is also a wealth of info (mostly from Tony ) on this BBS. Think of what you want, and search through. Allow at least a day to do this. It takes me an hour sometimes just to go through the daily email postings.

anything else, just call.

incidentally, how long have you been 'lurking' before you plunged in?

#9512 - 17/06/2000 08:43 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: kim]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
D'oh!

Sorry 8)

(O|||||O)

#9513 - 17/06/2000 08:57 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: ClemsonJeep]
Laura
pooh-bah

In reply to:

incidentally, how long have you been 'lurking' before you plunged in?

Probably for around 5 weeks or so. I registered a few weeks ago and got my queue number this week. I think seeing the video on the empeg finally nailed me into wanting one. Since I don't have one yet I've kept quiet, I can't make any comments on a wish list or install tips and nightmares. I'm going to want to upgrade my computer speakers too so when I bring it in the house to play it will sound better. There is always winning the lottery to help finance all of this.

Laura

MKI #017/90

whatever

#9514 - 17/06/2000 12:09 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: muzza]
teemcbee
addict

If you need some infos for good amps you could also ask cambscar - he's a professional!

TeeMcBee

#9515 - 17/06/2000 20:23 Re: No More Lurking For Me [Re: Laura]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
"Since I don't have one yet I've kept quiet, I can't make any comments on a wish list or install tips and nightmares."

I feel the same way you do. Its hard to jump into a conversation about the empeg when you don't have one.

Sean