Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#95467 - 23/05/2002 10:27 Deleting playlists/Duplicate files
Wytnite
new poster

Loc: Montana
Being new to the software I mistakenly thought that I could copy files from the various paylists and 'soup' all willy-nilly and the system would weed out duplicates. I now have one dump playlists with over 16,000 titles listed (mostly duplicates) Yes, yes, insert derisive laughter here. So I tried to deleting all of the songs from the playlist but after it sat for 3 hours I gave up. Then I tried to just delete the playlist itself, again, it appeared to lock up. So my question is this. Is a huge wait-time to be expected when deleting such a large playlist? or is there a down and dirty way to get rid of it all.

I know better now.

#95468 - 23/05/2002 10:34 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: Wytnite]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
No, there should not be much of a wait when you do a deletion. That should go very fast.

What version of the software are you using? There's a known bug where it won't reboot during a synch if you're using beta 11.

And you SHOULD be able to copy things around willy-nilly as long as you're doing it totally inside of EMPLODE. If you drag songs from the Explorer onto emplode willy-nilly, then you're going to get duplicates.

#95469 - 23/05/2002 10:38 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: tfabris]
elvis
enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
It WILL power down the player though

#95470 - 23/05/2002 10:42 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: tfabris]
Wytnite
new poster

I am using beta 11 and have run into the reboot prob...

I'm trying to delete the files in batches of like 100 and that still takes like 3 minutes per batch.

#95471 - 23/05/2002 10:45 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: Wytnite]
Wytnite
new poster

And here's (perhaps) a stupid question. Can I manage my playlists without the player connected, and then sync up later?

#95472 - 23/05/2002 10:48 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: Wytnite]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

If you want to delete/wipe the entire player, the empeg site has a "disk builder" utility that will wipe your disk drives from scratch. Although you shouldn't ever have to do this. There are easier ways to solve problems with the player other than formatting it.

You haven't yet given us enough details to really see what's going wrong with the player. Please be more specific about exactly what you're doing and what's happening.

It could be hardware trouble, or maybe it just needs a database refresh or something.

#95473 - 23/05/2002 10:50 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: Wytnite]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Can I manage my playlists without the player connected, and then sync up later?

No.

This is by design. Emplode is not a music manager for your local PC, at least not yet. It's just a dumb terminal that connects to the database inside your car player.

This is actually very useful if you tend to move between multiple computers. Because it's not "tied to" a given PC, you can manage your playlists on any computer just by plugging the empeg into it.

#95474 - 23/05/2002 11:03 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: tfabris]
Wytnite
new poster

Ok, here's what I was doing and am trying to do now. I'm using Emplode 2.00 beta 11. I'm using a 40 gig Mk2.

After my initial load of MP3s onto the player, I just put them into dump playlist...thinking I'd move them later. Then as I ripped more of my CDs I just moving the entire "All Files" directory into this dump playlist....unknowingly duplicating the existing files. Now I'm to a point I'd like a little more management in my playlists and I opened up the dump playlist only to discover the error (contains over 16,000 titles). So my plan was to empty out the dump playlist and stat over from scratch. But I keep running into errors as I try to delete the playlist and/or it's contents - understanding that this does not delete the actual song, only the title. However, it appears that it locks up and my Windows system says it's not responding.

This clarify?

#95475 - 23/05/2002 11:36 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: Wytnite]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

However, it appears that it locks up and my Windows system says it's not responding.

Hmm, this sounds like trouble with emplode. What connection method are you using? USB? What operating system are you running? If it's XP, that's the problem. There's a bug with USB and XP that there's no solution for yet, other than to use ethernet instead.

#95476 - 23/05/2002 11:55 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Does it lock up during the sync, or while attempting to delete the items from the window in emplode?

#95477 - 23/05/2002 12:46 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: tfabris]
Wytnite
new poster

I'm using Windows 98 and a USB Connection. It lock up during the deletion process (which as I've indicated appears to be very lengthy). The sync process seems to go very quickly.

I'm doing this on my laptop and it almost appears like it tried to store the deleted data somewhere on the computer resources which then causes Emplode to lock up? I just manually deleted about 2,000 of the titles and before I could re-sync Emplode was acting very choppy. like it was trying to catch up. Once synced though, everything behaved normally.

#95478 - 23/05/2002 13:02 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: Wytnite]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Haver you tried jemplode to see what it does? It might solve your problems, though it'd be nice to know why emlplode is having issues.

Matthew

#95479 - 23/05/2002 13:24 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: Wytnite]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Interesting. Maybe it was a repaint/refresh issue.

Try this.

Go to the "All Tracks" view, select all, and hit delete. See if that works.

#95480 - 24/05/2002 01:46 Re: Deleting playlists/Duplicate files [Re: Wytnite]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Well, it does store information about the deleted tracks on the computer -- else how would it know which tracks to delete when you hit sync?

Maybe I'll have time to take a quick look at it today. In the meantime, two suggestions:

1. Try jemplode
2. Try creating some more playlists, and moving the tracks in batches from the huge playlist into those playlists. Sync, and then delete+sync those playlists one at a time. Don't forget that there might still be some bugs in beta11 when you do multiple syncs in a single session.