Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#96154 - 28/05/2002 07:33 One last XP question
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
We're having some troubles here in my office with logging into workstations.

We run Novell and each user has a username and password. So the first thing that comes up when we boot up the computers is the Novell login dialog. It asks for name/pass, and accepts it. Before XP, all that would happen is that windows would start. If the name and pass were correct, you would be logged onto the office network, see network drives, have access to your Groupwise account, etc. Now with XP (at least on the machine I'm using) it's asking to a Workstation Password or something. The only one it accepts is the offices admin log/pass, and then all the user settings that our admin chose appear to you (this is why I had that hand). The problem is that it won't let you cancel this dialog. I have no idea why Microsoft chose to make the user settings box so damn essential, but it won't let you log in if you don't provide the correct info, and it wil only accept one correct info.

Is there anything I can do to change it?

#96155 - 28/05/2002 09:45 Re: One last XP question [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
...Before XP, all that would happen is that windows would start....

Define "Before XP".

Do you mean that you guys went straight from 95/98 to XP? You didn't stop off on NT or 2000 along the way? If so, that's the reason you're confused.

95/98 were not secure operating systems. NT, 2000, and now XP, are fully secure operating systems that require some kind of user authentication before giving you the desktop. Always has been this way.

And yes, I know that most Unix-heads burst out laughing any time someone talks about NT as being "fully secure", and I agree. I'm just saying it that way to clarify the logon requirements for our friend.

#96156 - 28/05/2002 10:00 Re: One last XP question [Re: Dignan]
bmiller

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
It doesn't sound like you have the Novell client installed. I have no experience with this on XP but it very much sounds like the case.
That, or you are not in a domain and should be configured for one; or you have the local workstation selected to login to and you should have the domain selected as the login source.
Anyhow, the Novel login should happen concurrently to the domain or workstation login, password synchronization now becomes an issue.

But, as Tony mentioned, you cannot gain access to the system without being validated against some password authority, be it a local or domain account.

#96157 - 28/05/2002 10:20 Re: One last XP question [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Yeah, I knew that. I'm using Win2k at home. I tried to get them to switch earlier, but it wasn't really necessary. I think we're just going to have to fiddle with our system to see what login schemes work for us.

Yeah, "before XP" meant Win98.

The problem I'm seeing is that we have no way of allowing more than one username/password for that damn Workstation dialog. Also, most of the computers in the office don't bring it up at all. On most of them, after you sign into the Novell login, it goes straight to the OS. So I guess what I'm asking is: is there a way to turn off the Workstation thing?

Now that I think about it, this is what I'm thinking is happening: I think on most machines in our office, the log/pass from the Novell login gets passed to the Workstation login, and is accepted and dealt with accordingly. For some reason on my machine the Workstation login has problems with the log/pass from the Novell client (although it shouldn't), and then it shows itself. If that is the case, then I would be interested in knowing why this machine only allows 1 username/password combo instead of anyone in our office's. Previously (on Win98), anyone in our office could log into any computer and get their Groupwise, etc. I've tried logging myself into other computers now, and it works. But I can't log in as myself on my own machine.

#96158 - 28/05/2002 10:26 Re: One last XP question [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Try digging through the Microsoft Knowledge Base and see if they have any troubleshooting tips on Novell logins.

But be warned. 2000/XP are based on the new "active directory" system of domain security, which was intended from the beginning to be a Novell-killer, so you might not get lots of help in this area.

#96159 - 28/05/2002 17:06 Re: One last XP question [Re: Dignan]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
First, Make sure you have the Novell client installed on your 2K/XP machine. The latest clients are available from the Novell site. When you log in, a Novell bannered dialog should appear. There are TWO distinct logins here. One for Novell and one for XP. When you provide your name for Novell (in the first part of the box), you need to ensure that you will be logging in to the correct Tree, Context preferred server. Click on the Advanced box on the right hand side to see these options.
The second part is to log in to the XP Active directory on that machine. If it's a new machine, use Administrator for now and work out all the local machine problems with Administrator rights. You can then create your own local user for that machine and secure it from there.

There is a way to tell XP not to use the Novell login as the Workstation login, but I can't recall it at the moment.

There are a couple of other traps with contexts and trees I discovered last night, but we'll leave them for now.

#96160 - 28/05/2002 20:38 Re: One last XP question [Re: muzza]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
On time. Within budget. To specification. Pick any two

Bring back 8-track! was funny, but if I was drinking milk when I read your new tagline, it would have shot out my nose...

#96161 - 28/05/2002 21:42 Re: One last XP question [Re: davec]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, that's actually a variation on an old saying, re-used in a lot of businesses I've worked at. It goes something like this:

"I offer three things at my establishment: Low price, high quality, and fast service. But you can have only two at the same time."

#96162 - 28/05/2002 22:42 Re: One last XP question [Re: davec]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
So glad you liked it.
My new tag is a rip off too, I'm afraid. (how many references do you think it came from?)

I saw someone on another forum with the tag I'm using now and figured there was enough separation that I might not get busted.

#96163 - 28/05/2002 22:44 Re: One last XP question [Re: tfabris]
F0X

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Another variation relating to students:

Social Life, Grades, Sleep. Pick Two.

#96164 - 28/05/2002 22:55 Re: One last XP question [Re: F0X]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

While on the subject of taglines, one of my longtime favorite sites has been taglines galore at:

www.taglinesgalore.com