Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#96207 - 28/05/2002 17:59 ordering from international store
nikko

I just noticed that the Empeg store is closing this Friday. I didn't even know it existed. I was only aware of the SonicBlue store. I have 2 queries: will they ship to the US? and what should I buy? I have only the stock things that came with my Rio. I was considering buying an extra mount, though I'm not quite sure why I might need it. Is this foolish? What about the adapter or remotes? Should I buy one of them?

On an unrelated note, I bought my 60 GB empeg back in February, but I was waiting till I got my new car to install it. I did just that this weekend and now that I'm playing with it, I have to say it's incredible. I think it's gotta be the coolest toy I've ever had. Now I'm kicking myself for not having bought a backup. I actually had ordered a 30 GB player before the 60's came back in stock, and they ended up shipping 2 to my house in error. Damn, I should have bought one of them. And I've also been kicking myself for not having bought a tuner when they were down to $70. At the time, I just didn't know how it worked. For some reason I thought it was meant to be installed somewhere visible and I thought "damn, that's an eyesore" and passed. Smart move.

I had no idea the Empeg was so cool. I can't believe they aren't being made any more. It's the coolest gizmo I've ever seen. I've been telling anyone who'd listen that I can fit about 600 cds on this new stereo I bought and without fail they would nod absently. I think they thought I must have meant 600 songs or something. But then they saw it in my car and their jaws hit the floor. I LOVE YOU EMPEG!!!! YOU COMPLETE ME!!!!!!

rant over

Edited by nikko (28/05/2002 18:07)

#96208 - 28/05/2002 18:03 Re: i couldn't love my Empeg more [Re: nikko]
jnmunsey

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
I just tell em with 60GB that I can play music non-stop with ZERO repeats for almost 2 months... Then they respond by asking "why????"..

#96209 - 28/05/2002 18:09 Re: i couldn't love my Empeg more [Re: nikko]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
nikko, your echoing my thoughts completly.
I too just installed my Empeg last weekend and now I am suffering from pains in the face from the "grin factor" it is causing! There should be a warning label on the box.
I now understand why empeg user don't mind traffic jams as much, it just gives them more time to play.

RE you edit: I am seriously considering a second car mount, even though I won't need it if at all for at least another two years. But they unlike the power adaptor & remote can't be "reproduced".

Edited by Phoenix42 (28/05/2002 18:11)

#96210 - 28/05/2002 18:30 Re: i couldn't love my Empeg more [Re: Phoenix42]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Hey Nikko

Ya gotta love it! I bought mine last year and still revel in it's greatness daily. The real kicker is that there is STILL nothing on the market even close to the Empeg/Riocar and SonicBlue just don't make 'em anymore...glad I joined the club when I did...

Spare items are always good to have, especially if they aren't being produced any longer. A spare sled would be very useful if you plan on getting a second car/boat/motorhome/corporate jet in the future...you tunes travel with you no matter where you are...I would imagine that trying to get a sled in good used shape 2-5 years from now would be difficult when your ready to make that second install.

A second remote would be useful too, if you lose the original or break it maybe?

BTW, the Empeg store does serve customers here in North America, as SonicBlue's estore no longer carries Empeg/Riocar goodies (disclaimer - so I believe anyways).

Just some thoughts for you....

#96211 - 28/05/2002 21:58 Re: ordering from international store [Re: nikko]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
will they ship to the US?

Yes.

and what should I buy?

There are only three things to buy at this time: Extra docking sleds, extra remotes, and extra power supplies. Buy one of each.

I was considering buying an extra mount, though I'm not quite sure why I might need it. Is this foolish?

You would need it if you intended to build a home docking station or you wanted to put the empeg into a second car. Or if your car was stolen (with the docking sled still in it but the empeg in your hands).

What about the adapter or remotes? Should I buy one of them?

If you like the Rio remote, you would get an extra if you thought you might lose the original one. However Kenwood remotes also work, they just aren't labeled properly and they are missing some functions (see the button guide at www.riocar.org for details).

An extra power adapter is not necessary since you can buy other third-party power adapters. However the one they are selling is the compact plug-top style which gets high praise from those who own it, and it is rumored to be less suceptible to ground loops when plugged into a home system.

If I weren't broke right now from the Con I just went to, I'd be buying two extra docking sleds because I've wanted to build two indoor docking stations for a while now.

#96212 - 28/05/2002 22:22 Re: ordering from international store [Re: tfabris]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Yeah, what he said....

#96213 - 29/05/2002 00:36 Re: ordering from international store [Re: tfabris]
elvis
enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
compact plug-top style which gets high praise from those who own it

Yes it certainly does! My main sterio system doesn't have a problem with the 3 prong setup, but my computer system's amp really HATES it. Fortunately I've 2 compact units.

I should note that once I went to the 3 prong unit with my main sterio system I get 'zapped' alot. The compact unit doesn't do that at all. That 3 prong unit must have a VERY good ground.

If my bank account will take the pounding, I'm going to order one of each on Thursday.

#96214 - 29/05/2002 11:44 Re: Empeg car stuff [Re: nikko]
kingtj
new poster

Loc: St. Louis, MO (USA)
I just got my Rio MP3 Car hooked up and configured, and I have to agree 110% with you too! It's an awesome piece of electronics! Every time I think about it, I'm in shock that this thing is discontinued. It seems like popularity is just now starting to build! I posted about this thing to a mailing list, and the responses I got at first were "Oh, I think I've heard of those - but what's the big deal? You should invest in a name-brand car stereo like an Alpine or Clarion. They all play MP3s nowdays." Then I started telling them what made the Rio different/special. Response: "Damn! That's very cool. I want one!"

If anything, this unit simply suffered from the wrong people doing the manufacturing and distribution. IMHO, this baby should have been sold to a respected name in car audio so more of the audio enthusiasts would take a second look at it. It's pitiful that all companies like Kenwood have to offer is that overpriced and underpowered "Music Keg".

#96215 - 29/05/2002 23:48 Re: ordering from international store [Re: nikko]
Gazz
journeyman

Loc: Alice Springs - Australia
I just ordered an Extra Car Mount, that's why I bet there is a Sale tomorrow.

Gazz
Where the exchange rate is a shocker

#96216 - 29/05/2002 23:52 Re: ordering from international store [Re: Gazz]
jarob10
enthusiast

Loc: Stockport, UK
once discontinuued, could loose car mounts join the ranks of the tuner module in the ebay rip off wars ?

#96217 - 30/05/2002 03:53 Re: ordering from international store [Re: jarob10]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
once discontinuued, could loose car mounts join the ranks of the tuner module in the ebay rip off wars ?

They are pretty complex and almost completely custom things, so, unfortunately, the answer can only be yes.

Peter

#96218 - 30/05/2002 06:12 Re: ordering from international store [Re: peter]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Doh. I keep getting it all wrong. During the firesale I bought an empeg. Did I buy a spare? Did I buy a couple to sell at profit? No.

Now I've just bought a second sled - but that's going to be needed. Did I buy any extra to sell? No.

I'm going to have to change my modus operandi if I want to get rich anytime soon