Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#97925 - 06/06/2002 03:32 Loudness and volume changes
fbleagh
journeyman

Ok ok i know its be raised before but i think this is a good idea.

How hard would it be to have some more settings in the config ini to handle loudness curves ( cutoff points etc ) and volume curves.

Let me explain.
Firstly Loudness

i would like to be able to set a high cutoff point for loudness ie no loudness present after say -10db
and have the curve adjusted to fit in there
also a low cutoff would be cool too ( ie athe point at which loudness begins to drop on the increase of volume )

Volume controls -
i would like to be able to adjust the scale the volume works on. As i find that up around the higher end of hte sectrum you get much less control than i would like. I would far prefre the top %25 of the volume to be in .5 or .25db increments and the lower reaches at 1 or 2db increments

How hard would this be ??

#97926 - 06/06/2002 09:43 Re: Loudness and volume changes [Re: fbleagh]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I would like to see the loudness be programmable, too.

Both of the things you're talking about could be done in Hijack, if only we were able to get a complete programming spec sheet for the DSP.

Right now, we can only look at the existing source code for what gets sent to the DSP and perhaps do a little reverse engineering. I don't know how clear the current kernel sources make it. Having this DSP programming information would open up lots of possibilities for hacking. For example, Genixia wouldn't have to hijack two equalizer bands to do bass and treble, they could use the actual bass and treble controls in the DSP (which are currently unused).

After using RTA to look at how the loudness setting really worked, I want more than just a volume cutoff point on the loudness. I also want to adjust its frequency. As it stands right now, it really only works on especially deep frequencies, as in only-a-subwoofer-can-make-these frequencies. I'd like to change that.