Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#9791 - 23/06/2000 08:23 new audio format vorbis ?
derrek
new poster

Hi there,

Will empeg support new audio format vorbis ?

http://www.vorbis.com/

#9792 - 23/06/2000 14:02 Re: new audio format vorbis ? [Re: derrek]
Alexander

Loc: SF Bay Area
Personally, I want empeg to support MP3 and some sort of uncompressed audio format (WAV is fine). Other than that, I want all of empeg's time to be devoted to improving the software and adding cool features. :)

Just my 1.3 pence.

Alex

#9793 - 23/06/2000 14:33 Re: new audio format vorbis ? [Re: Alexander]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Personally, I want empeg to support MP3 and some sort of uncompressed audio format (WAV is fine). Other than that, I want all of empeg's time to be devoted to improving the software and adding cool features.

I agree that plain .WAV needs to be supported. Guys, is there any news on that?

Otherwise, the Empeg guys will put in whatever audio formats are most popular. They have to if they want to sell players. Sure, right now you may only want MP3 and WAV, but there may come a time when you want some other formats because they're either superior or more popular. As I recall, we'll be seeing WMA here pretty soon.

#9794 - 24/06/2000 09:37 Re: new audio format vorbis ? [Re: tfabris]
mac
addict

Loc: Cambridge, UK
We've got a new codec architecture that currently supports MP3 and WMA. Writing WAV support should be relatively straightforward. Unfortunately we can't release it until some other stuff falls into place.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)