Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#98921 - 12/06/2002 08:31 more 'W'-symbols with Hijack...
pupvogel
journeyman

Loc: Hamburg, Germany
I'm not sure if this was brought up before, but from time to time I have a long pause (say, 2-3 seconds) between tracks and see the W-symbol at that time (if the harddisk-icon is turned on).

Strange thing about this: I see this about once an hour if Hijack is installed - but only about once a day when Hijack is NOT installed.

I have that same issue with both my players (empeg and riocar, 12MB and 16MB) and I also logged the serial-port when that was happening - no messages at all.
It doesn't matter if I listen to VBR- or CBR-encoded music. It happens with both.

Maybe some cache issue or memory-leak ? That comes more into foreground when more memory or resources are used ?

So since 2 months or so I don't have Hijack installed, because these frequent pauses are very annoying when listening to mix-CDs.
Trade-off: the remote really often doesn't work, because I can't enjoy the Hijack-fix of THAT issue... not to mention all the other luxuries of Hijack ...

#98922 - 12/06/2002 09:03 Re: more 'W'-symbols with Hijack... [Re: pupvogel]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

What you are seeing is not the normal. I randomize my playlists all the time, running hijack, and do not experiece any delays.

The W icon is "audio thread is waiting for data". What version of hijack and player software are you running? Do you have any hijack specific settings in your config.ini? Have you sync'ed recently / fsck'ed the machines?

#98923 - 12/06/2002 10:03 Re: more 'W'-symbols with Hijack... [Re: pupvogel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you're certain that it's more frequent with Hijack, let Mark know. I don't know if he reads the Bug Reports forum regularly or not. You might want to mention this in "Programming". (This is one of the few situations where I will endorse cross-posting.)

#98924 - 13/06/2002 01:06 Re: more 'W'-symbols with Hijack... [Re: pgrzelak]
pupvogel
journeyman

Hi !

The last version of Hijack I had on my empeg was v266; and I didn't do any changes to the config.ini myself.
The symptoms have survived a lot of sync's and fsck's (those fsck's that are started by emplode).

I'll post the same thing in Programming now...

#98925 - 16/06/2002 10:07 Re: more 'W'-symbols with Hijack... [Re: pgrzelak]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Just confirming I also have never seen the W appear when the empeg is simply playing. I have seen it quite a few times when the buffer code should have had the song (Coming out of standby on a boot, and hitting next once after listening for a while), but I already reported that here, hopefuly it will be fixed soon.

#98926 - 17/06/2002 11:37 Re: more 'W'-symbols with Hijack... [Re: pupvogel]
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
Just to chime in on this topic:

My player, during playback in my car at speed, will try to access the hard drive. There is audible clicking of the drives, the "W" icon will come up and the player either freezes for a few seconds or the player fatally locks up. After a fatal lock up there are no hard drives detected on boot.

Possibly a vibration issue?

FYI, I have contacted DavidM
80gb MK2a empeg spare

#98927 - 17/06/2002 11:41 Re: more 'W'-symbols with Hijack... [Re: Micman2b]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Possibly a vibration issue?

Only in the sense that vibration might exacerbate another problem. Please click here for details on the possible problems you might be having.

#98928 - 18/06/2002 02:13 Re: more 'W'-symbols with Hijack... [Re: tfabris]
pupvogel
journeyman

Well, now I have Hijack v276 on my empeg since 2 days and haven't had a single 'W'-lockup since then... weird...