Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#98951 - 12/06/2002 13:05 COM port blues (XP)
willebear
journeyman

Loc: Louisville, KY USA
i am dying over here. i have xp (my biggest problem) and i am trying to connect to my player to correct a corrupt database.

i downloaded the logoedit14 to try to connect via my com port. i am using the 'null modem' serial cable that came with my player. logoedit tells me that the port cannot be opened. i have tried setting it to all com ports in logoedit (COM1, COM2, etc)

i then downloaded Hyperterminal Private Edition and when I try to connect it says "selected port is already being used by another telephony device". it only gives me the option of COM1 or TCP/IP in hyperterminal. this is not listed as compatible with XP. it also did not come bundled with it under accessories -> communications

has anyone else had this problem or know how i can solve it?

i spent a half an hour with Dell troubleshooting the physical port and there is no problem there. it is listed as "working properly" in the device manager and "no conflicts"!

kill me..

#98952 - 12/06/2002 13:33 Re: COM port blues (XP) [Re: willebear]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
First thing I would recommend is finding a friend with another computer (preferably one with a known-good COM port) and trying it on that PC. This would rule out problems with your PC.

#98953 - 12/06/2002 16:35 Re: COM port blues (XP) [Re: willebear]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Reboot your XP machine into Windows Safe Mode (or Safe Mode with Networking).
[Press F8 during the windows boot up progress bar to select which boot mode to come up in].

This will eliminate a lot of problems in one go.
then try and run Empldoe then to fix/upgrade your empeg.
You can then assign it a IP address so that you can then use the Ethernet in the future if neeed].

If the com port won't work under Safe mode then you really need to find another PC with a known usable com port you can use to fix the empeg problem.

Assuming it does work under Safe mode, then you have a 'work around', you can then compare whats running in Safe mode versus whats running in normal mode and try and locate the difference.

Be aware that the UPS service uses a COM port and your Dell may think you have a UPS installed - this can be turned off under the Power setting in Control panel.

Sorrry I can't be more helpful than the above suggestion, but I run XP on a Dell PC at home with Hyperterminal and can use my com ports without problems, I have to make sure I know which device is plugged into what com port as I have about 5 com ports on my system now.

#98954 - 12/06/2002 16:37 Re: COM port blues (XP) [Re: number6]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Be aware that the UPS service uses a COM port and your Dell may think you have a UPS installed - this can be turned off under the Power setting in Control panel.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that one.

#98955 - 12/06/2002 18:16 Re: COM port blues (XP) [Re: tfabris]
willebear
journeyman

thanks for the tip,

when i went to the UPS tab in the power settings it said that the UPS is currently stopped..bummer

i don't feel that is is the physical port - i ran all the tests from the sytem config (baud test, etc) and they all passed.

i am going to test my player on a friends machine tonight and see if it might be my cable

thanks again for all of your help
this has been a very frustrating few days but luckily i loaded 5324 songs on the player before the problems began. that should be enough to keep me busy until i figure this darn com port issue out

#98956 - 12/06/2002 18:28 Re: COM port blues (XP) [Re: willebear]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
I'd consider trying the tests in safe mode - its about 5 minutes of work and it would eliminate lots of variables in one go.

Plus if it does work, it may save you a trip to your friends place.

#98957 - 12/06/2002 18:56 Re: COM port blues (XP) [Re: willebear]
willebear
journeyman

woo hoo! got it to work

under modems there was a modem installed and said something about "two computers talking to each other" i just removed the modem and connected on COM1 with logoedit

thank you for listening to my whining and all of your suggestion

hijack 275 is on and i will now attempt to fix the corrpt database.