Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#99406 - 14/06/2002 01:37 character limitation in the comments field?
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
hey guys

i recently started to rip my albums in 1 big mp3 to maintain the integrity of trance mixes. i then put the tracklisting in the comment field in winamp. when i use emplode, it gets cut off midway (guessing 512 chars), and doesnt get imported at all using jemplode.

any way to remove this limitation, so i can have my silly track list?

#99407 - 14/06/2002 11:08 Re: character limitation in the comments field? [Re: image]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Unfortunately, the Comments field is hard-limited in the player's internal database.

Note that the larger you make the Comments field, the more RAM will be consumed by the player's database at run-time, therefore the less space you'll have for caching song data. So the player will hit the hard disk more often.

#99408 - 14/06/2002 13:24 Re: character limitation in the comments field? [Re: tfabris]
old hand

well, if you think about it, putting tags on each individual track, including album, year, and every other good stuff would be more characters overall than a single comment field in one mp3.

like was said in the thread dealing w/ mk1 hdd limits, the ram is dynamically allocated, so i'm guessing that even tho the database has a 512 char array, it will only assign as much as necessary.

so i guess this becomes a wishlist for the next player release. up the comments field to 2048 =) that should be enough.

#99409 - 14/06/2002 13:49 Re: character limitation in the comments field? [Re: image]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
well, if you think about it, putting tags on each individual track, including album, year, and every other good stuff would be more characters overall than a single comment field in one mp3.

Good point. I was just defending their reasons for limiting the field.

#99410 - 14/06/2002 14:01 Re: character limitation in the comments field? [Re: tfabris]
old hand

this also opens up another door for improving the player software. i know that many people (mainly on r3mix.net forums) want to integrate cue files into the id3v2 tags of whole album mp3s, and be able to use winamp to ff/rev to the appropriate "track" in the mp3.

be tight if it leads up to that in the development of the empeg's player. but it wont happen if there are field limits.