Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#38623 - 16/09/2001 15:41 More Remote Control Woes (Failed Sensor?)
Kit
journeyman

Loc: San Diego, CA US
Has anyone had a problem where their remote control no longer functions at a distance? I originally thought that the remote was completely dead and SonicBlue has sent me a new one. It turns out that both remotes function, but only within 1-2 inches of the IR sensor.

Now I am back to square one. If the sensor has failed I would have to ship it in for repair, but in light of recent events I could be without my Empeg for quite some time.

-Kit

#38624 - 16/09/2001 17:49 Re: More Remote Control Woes (Failed Sensor?) [Re: Kit]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Has anyone had a problem where their remote control no longer functions at a distance? I originally thought that the remote was completely dead and SonicBlue has sent me a new one. It turns out that both remotes function, but only within 1-2 inches of the IR sensor.

Yep. I had the exact same problem. Empeg did the same thing - try a new remote - didn't work. Turned out the problem was with the IR sensor itself. I ended up having to send it to empeg and they verified that that was indeed the problem. They replaced the IR sensor and it worked fine.

Sorry to tell you, but you might have to send it back to empeg to get it repaired. I'm not sure exactly what is going on with international shipping at this point what with the recent tragedies.

(O|||||O)

#38625 - 16/09/2001 20:21 Re: More Remote Control Woes (Failed Sensor?) [Re: ClemsonJeep]
johnmcd3
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA (formerly Houston,...
I've been putting off complaining about mine cause I don't want to part with it to get it fixed. My remote stopped working even after I replaced the batterry and I suspect that it is the sensor. I think that this is bigger problem than sonicblue admits. probably a bad batch of recievers or something.

30 GB - Mk2a (Rio Car) - BLUE, but I really want a red ar, msg me

#38626 - 16/09/2001 23:28 Re: More Remote Control Woes (Failed Sensor?) [Re: johnmcd3]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It's not a SB issue, it's me who does the fixing :)

I've replaced no more than 5 receivers as far as I remember - it's quite a pain to do, they're not easy to desolder. We do have spare receivers in stock, so there should be no hold up apart from shipping.

Hugo

#38627 - 16/09/2001 23:46 Re: More Remote Control Woes (Failed Sensor?) [Re: Kit]
Lemmy

Loc: Germany
Hi,

[quote] Has anyone had a problem where their remote control no longer functions at a distance? I originally thought that the remote was completely dead and SonicBlue has sent me a new one. It turns out that both remotes function, but only within 1-2 inches of the IR sensor. [/quote]

same with mine. Seems to be some kind of thermal issue as the range of reception inceases with time.

bye
[L]

---
Mk. I Blue 4G Serial [dont remember]
Mk. II Green 6G+20G Serial 080000372

#38628 - 17/09/2001 05:15 Re: More Remote Control Woes (Failed Sensor?) [Re: Lemmy]
jwtadmin
enthusiast

Loc: Ipswich, MA
I was just about to email SB about a bad remote.
Although my remote does not even work at close range.

John

#38629 - 17/09/2001 07:36 Re: More Remote Control Woes (Failed Sensor?) [Re: jwtadmin]
Kit
journeyman

Loc: San Diego, CA US
You can check if you are lucky and try replacing the battery first. Most drug stores/hardware stores have the battery.

-Kit

#38630 - 17/09/2001 08:59 Re: More Remote Control Woes (Failed Sensor?) [Re: Kit]
jwtadmin
enthusiast

Loc: Ipswich, MA
The battery was my first thought too, but after replacing the battery and checking it with a multimiter it's still dead.

I'm going to try to check to see if the remote is sending any IR.

Isn't there a way to use the /proc file system to view any IR traffic on the Empeg? If so I could try another remote to see if ANY IR traffic is being seen by the Empeg and if not wouldn't this indicate that the IR receiver is dead?

John

John