Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#44209 - 29/10/2001 16:32 Ripping and Marking Tracks
LTJBukem
enthusiast

It arrived today !!

I've been waiting a whole year to get this baby and i'm not disappointed.

Need to ask some questions.

I'm using AudioGrabber to rip my Cd's and am still getting some ripping problems. Sometimes the tracks code with jump in them. I'm coding to WAV, normalising, then coding to VBR 1. Could this be that when ripping to WAV the Cd is spinning very quickly eg about 6-8 times speed. Is there a way to slow this down, or set a mode with give better results ?

Also, if I do find a bad track, how do i mark it. I tried holding the Cancel Button, but it did not work. And even if I could mark it, how would I then find it in Emplode to know that I needed to re-rip it ?

Sorry if these are amateur-ish questions, but i'm just a baby at this.

Thanks

LTJ

#44210 - 29/10/2001 16:42 Re: Ripping and Marking Tracks [Re: LTJBukem]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've been waiting a whole year to get this baby and i'm not disappointed.

No one is ever disappointed. It's a great product!

I'm using AudioGrabber to rip my Cd's and am still getting some ripping problems.

I haven't used Audiograbber, but if I remember right, it's the same ripping engine that's used by Audiocatalyst.

If it's similar to Audiocatalyst, there should be an option in the settings for something called DYNAMIC SYNC WIDTH. Set that and see if it solves the problem. The DAE speed should also be settable.

Also make sure to read the program's online help. If it's similar to Audiocatalyst, there will be extensive documentation on how to correct rip errors.

Otherwise, try another product such as Exact Audio Copy (do a web search to find it). I have a certain PC where the Audiograbber/Audiocatalyst engine will refuse to run properly on it, and the only program which works is WinDAC32. You're going to have to experiment a little to find a good ripper. Read the FAQ at Riocar.org for more details.

Also, if I do find a bad track, how do i mark it. I tried holding the Cancel Button, but it did not work.

If you have a Rio remote, you do not hold the Cancel button. You just press it during playback. Notes:

1) You must be running the 2.0 software for this feature to work. It's not in 1.03. You might not want to use 2.0 until it's out of beta, there are some known bugs which you probably want to avoid.

2) The 4 key also doubles as the Mark Track key.

3) If you press the Cancel button very soon after exiting the menu, it will not mark the track. It's got a time-delay which prevents you from accidentally marking the track if you exit the menu by pounding on Cancel a bunch of times.

And even if I could mark it, how would I then find it in Emplode to know that I needed to re-rip it ?

If you look in the All Tracks view on Emplode 2.0, you will see it as having a different icon. Or, you can perform an Advanced Search on the term marked. These are only available in 2.0 version of the software.

#44211 - 29/10/2001 16:52 Re: Ripping and Marking Tracks [Re: tfabris]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Thanks,

I just checked the Mark and that works fine. I'm using 2.0 Beta 3 by the way. I upgraded straight away because I wanted to use VBR.

One thing I have noticed. The player gets installed in the car in about 3 weeks. But using through my home system. I seems easy to over drive the output, especially as the FAQ recommends setting the volume to 0.0db. Am I doing something wrong. I set the whole EQ to below 0db as recommended.

Perhaps I shouldn't be normalising to 98% which is the default in the software. What do other users do ?

Thanks again, and I'll get there in the end.

LTJ

#44212 - 29/10/2001 17:00 Re: Ripping and Marking Tracks [Re: LTJBukem]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I upgraded straight away because I wanted to use VBR.

VBR worked fine in 1.03, the only problem was that fast forward and rewind were a little sketchy. But VBR tracks played fine in 1.03.

But using through my home system. I seems easy to over drive the output, especially as the FAQ recommends setting the volume to 0.0db.

0db should not overdrive the inputs on your home stereo. Here are some possible causes:

- You have plugged it into the PHONO inputs instead of a proper line-level input. Use a tape or CD input instead, not the phono input.

- You have increased the loudness setting very high.

- You are using the 4v outputs from the car sled instead of the 1v home outputs.

- There is a known bug in 2.0b3 which causes some songs to be overdriven for some users. This is covered in the Bug Reports. You can downgrade to 1.03 and see if it takes care of the problem. It will be fixed in the next beta release.

Perhaps I shouldn't be normalising to 98% which is the default in the software. What do other users do ?

It has nothing to do with normalization. Your CDs were probably already normalized and your normalizing routine is doing little or nothing to the levels of the songs.

#44213 - 29/10/2001 17:06 Re: Ripping and Marking Tracks [Re: LTJBukem]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
Hi,

If you have problems with bad rips, the first thing I would try is another asapi driver.

please try the asapi driver on the following page.
http://www.vob.de/us/Downloads.htm

Sean

#44214 - 29/10/2001 17:12 Re: Ripping and Marking Tracks [Re: tfabris]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Its was the loudness level.

Presumably you don't get the problem in the car, becuase you never get close to 0.0db ?

I'll wait for the next Beta I think, and live with it. I'm away for a week now and becuase I don't have player in the car yet, I have to leave it here ... boo hoo ...

Thanks for the help.

When is the next beta expected by the way ?

LTJ

#44215 - 29/10/2001 17:30 Re: Ripping and Marking Tracks [Re: LTJBukem]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Presumably you don't get the problem in the car, becuase you never get close to 0.0db ?

If you've got your amplifier gain levels properly adjusted, you should get very close to 0db quite often. As long as everything's set up right, you should not get clipping. See the Installation section of the FAQ at riocar.org for details.

When is the next beta expected by the way ?

When It's Done (tm), of course.

#44216 - 30/10/2001 06:59 Re: Ripping and Marking Tracks [Re: tfabris]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Otherwise, try another product such as Exact Audio Copy (do a web search to find it).

It is at http://www.exactaudiocopy.de. I really highly recommend that piece of software. It does a fantastic job on any problematic CD (and on good ones too, obviously). Be it sound in gaps (between tracks), skipping within tracks (mostly caused by the drive, not the CD) or just a little jitter needing to be fixed.

It also supports a whole bunch of possible compressors from Fraunhofer to LAME, real-time compression during extraction is possible with any installed codec that is fast enough, while external compression programs can simply be queued in the background (after at least one track was completely extracted).

cu,
sven