Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56981 - 09/01/2002 12:14 Dual drive upgrade question
skamp
journeyman

I read the FAQ about the drive upgrade but still am not clear on some things. I plan on installing 2 30GB drives and do not care to migrate any existing data. Should I run the disk builder with both drives attached or only one at a time? After that I am guessing I should install the developer upgrade with only the master drive attached or do I need to do this one at a time? Also if I am not worried about data loss do I really need to load the developer image or is the consumer image fine? I know this is a lot of questions but I want to make sure I do everything correctly. Thanks in advance!

Steve

#56982 - 09/01/2002 12:21 Re: Dual drive upgrade question [Re: skamp]
drakino
carpal tunnel

From what I remember seeing of the newest drive builder on www.empeg.com, it would set up both drives attached to the unit, but I couldn't find a way to have the stress test switch drives. If they are known good, shouldn't be a problem, otherwise just swap their master/slave jumbers around and let the builder test each.

#56983 - 09/01/2002 12:51 Re: Dual drive upgrade question [Re: skamp]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Perform the build on each drive, separately, and install the software to both drives, separately.

I have never tried formatting two disk drives at the same time. I think the builder is supposed to format them both, but I've heard at least one person say that it didn't do this.

#56984 - 09/01/2002 13:01 Re: Dual drive upgrade question [Re: tfabris]
djc
enthusiast

Loc: chicago
i built two fujitsu 30GB drives simultaneously. as drakino points out, it only seems to stress test the first drive, but the building process completes perfectly.

still, if you want to be absolutely sure, tony's advice to build (and stress test) separately makes sense.

--dan.

#56985 - 09/01/2002 13:38 Re: Dual drive upgrade question [Re: djc]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks for that clarification.

#56986 - 09/01/2002 14:07 Re: Dual drive upgrade question [Re: tfabris]
skamp
journeyman

I will do them one at a time. I just was a bit confused from the FAQ. I was not sure if the builder software needed to be on both drives, etc. Could the FAQ be updated with senerios like this.

Also I never got an answer on if I need to load the developers build after disk builder or can I just go right for the consumer build. I am not worried about any data on the drives as I will be starting fresh. Thanks in advance!

Steve

#56987 - 09/01/2002 19:47 Re: Dual drive upgrade question [Re: skamp]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Also I never got an answer on if I need to load the developers build after disk builder or can I just go right for the consumer build

The only difference between developer and consumer builds is that the developer build gives you the ability to go to a Linux shell and have direct access to your filesystem.

If you are just planning on using your RioCar to play music then all you need is the consumer build.

tanstaafl.