Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#74148 - 22/02/2002 17:17 E46 BMW install & hard drive upgrade
ctmeth
new poster

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
Hi I'm thinking about installing an empeg into a 2001 BMW 3 series. It has harman-Kardon, so the head unit isn't standard DIN size, so I understand that i would have to purchase a Conversion kit to do the install. my question is about the subwoofers that come with the factory system, because I understand that the EMPEG doesn't support sub-woofers. Is that true? Is anyone familiar with the 3 series to be able to comment on that, or any other complications that would arise on an install?

Also I am going to make the plunge this week at Carplayer to buy a Mk2a. I originally thought that it would make sense to buy the 10GB and then just do an upgrade later, but after reading the FAQ on riocar.org it seems like it's a fairly intense process for a common laymen. Has anyone done a drive upgrade with little technical background and would care to comment on the feasability?

Thanks this community is terrific & I can't wait to start playing with my new EMPEG

#74149 - 22/02/2002 17:22 Re: E46 BMW install & hard drive upgrade [Re: ctmeth]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Subwoofer outputs are covered in this FAQ entry.

The statement "doesn't support subwoofers" makes it sound like there's something missing. Truth is that most aftermarket stereos do not have separate subwoofer outputs. Subwoofer outputs are not required in order to use subwoofers. You can wire up subwoofers in a myriad of different ways.

More details on the stereo system in that BMW would be helpful. It is known that some car manufacturers are making it increasingly hard on people to install aftermarket stereos. Finding out just what's in there can help us help you decide on a plan of action.

Oh, and please direct future install-related questions to the appropriately-named forum instead of to "general", thanks.