Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#112695 - 24/08/2002 12:33 Remote turn on power help.
darwin
enthusiast

Okay, this week I got a new car, and installed the empeg in it. Installation is pretty easy with just the memory power, accessory/ignition power and ground, I had not installed the amp yet. When I put the key in, and turned the car on, the empeg powered up fine, and started to play as normal. I ran the blue wire (remote turn on) to the back where my amp was, installed the amp correctly, triple checking every connection. I then went to power on the empeg after everything was installed correctly, the empeg turned on, the amp turned on, and then after 10 seconds, everthing turned off. I checked all fuses, and everything was good. I then just made a little jumper wire on the amp and put the 12v+ power to the remote turn on, and the amp turned on fine, so I know it wasn't the amp.

I later put a +12 volts to the remote turn on, and then the empeg turned on. What the heck? Now the only way to turn on my empeg is to put an input voltage to my remote turn on from the back of the empeg. This is what I need to get fixed. I'm sure all the other connections are perfect.

Right now I have my accessory switch going to my empeg accessory, amp, and remote turn on from the empeg, and everything works, but this isn't how it's supposed to work. It's supposed to be acessory to the empeg accessory, then remote turn on from the empeg to my amp.

Can someone please help?

#112696 - 24/08/2002 12:59 Re: Remote turn on power help. [Re: darwin]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Do you get +12V out on the lead from the empeg (doesn't sound like it, but have you measured it) ?

If not, is the blue wire still properly attached to the harness/plug? There's been some problems with improperly crimped connectors where the wires have been pulled out of the connector.

If that's still properly connected, there's a, IIRC self-resetting, fuse on the remote output. That might have tripped and failed to reset properly...

I'd contact support...

/Michael

#112697 - 24/08/2002 20:29 Re: Remote turn on power help. [Re: darwin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Are you sure there's not a blown fuse somewhere in the power chain? For instance, on the constant-power wire, or on the ignition-switched wire (including at your car's fuse panel)?

Also, check to make sure that the wire you ran to the trunk for the remote turn on isn't shorting out somewhere along the way (under the seats and carpet and panels).

#112698 - 25/08/2002 19:44 Re: Remote turn on power help. [Re: tfabris]
darwin
enthusiast

Not sure if I explained it to you guys correctly, right now, I need to put +12V power input into theb blue remote turn on wire to the empeg in order for it to turn on. Without that, and even disregarding the external amp all together, it won't turn on. It's pretty strange I know. I have installed many amps before in the past and stereos in the past and am sure of the connections. It has to be something in the empeg. I'll try to contact support about it later. thanks guys.

#112699 - 26/08/2002 01:53 Re: Remote turn on power help. [Re: darwin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
True, it could possibly be a blown fuse inside the empeg, too. Does the empeg work properly on the AC adapter in the house?