Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#119751 - 07/10/2002 20:51 Popping with EQ adjust?
unsquare
stranger

Loc: Rignt here
Hello, I just noticed this...when I am adjusting the EQ settings, my speakers pop slightly with every movement of the knob. It doesn't seem to be doing anything else adverse. This IS a new thing, it did not do that until just recently. Anyone know what this is?

#119752 - 07/10/2002 20:56 Re: Popping with EQ adjust? [Re: unsquare]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you have the Hijack bass and treble controls set to something other than 0, and you adjust the top two bands of the EQ, then this might happen I would think.

Also there were some EQ bugs in beta 11, what version are you running?

#119753 - 07/10/2002 20:59 Re: Popping with EQ adjust? [Re: tfabris]
unsquare
stranger

hhhmmm...
It may be the bass in Hijack. I'll check on that in tha AM. Not sure what beta I am using...mschrag installed the latest on it a couple months ago...whatever that may be. I'll see if it is 11 in the morning as well...thanks!

#119754 - 07/10/2002 21:04 Re: Popping with EQ adjust? [Re: unsquare]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

remember that the bass and treble in Hijack work by stealing the top two EQ bands, so you should just leave those at zero if you're using Hijack bass and treble.

Also make sure it is the latest hijack, there may have been bug fixes there too.

#119755 - 08/10/2002 07:28 Re: Popping with EQ adjust? [Re: unsquare]
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
...actually i had this problem when making Q adjustments at very low levels..but like the doctor says...if it hurts when u do it..then don't do it anymore...therefore I am content to leave well enough alone!

#119756 - 08/10/2002 09:23 Re: Popping with EQ adjust? [Re: edsmiata]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

actually i had this problem when making Q adjustments at very low levels

There were bugs in beta 11 with using the equalizer with fixed Q settings and locked L/R mode. One of the two channels would always have a Q of zero. If you use auto Q, there's not a problem, and if you use independent left/right values, there's not a problem.

I also think that any errors to the Q setting induced by the bug would be saved, and would continue to be present in beta 13 if you didn't go back and fix them under that software version.

#119757 - 08/10/2002 09:50 Re: Popping with EQ adjust? [Re: edsmiata]
unsquare
stranger

That is one philosophy...but I find that seemingly little things like this are indicitive of greater problems.

Also, I checked and I am not currently using the bass or Treble settings in Hijack. The Beta installed is 13.

#119758 - 08/10/2002 11:18 Re: Popping with EQ adjust? [Re: tfabris]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

This doesn't sound like a HJ Bass/Treble issue...

When I started doing some research into the DSP (reading that great Tome), I discovered that EQ changing is supposed to be accomplished by register bank switching, with a soft audio mute active at the time... (ie register bank A is active, when we change the EQ, we write the new values into register bank B. Then we SAM, switch the active register bank, and then un-mute. Next change we write to bank A again...and so on)

ISTR thinking that this wasn't being done in the empeg - the active register is updated directly, without a SAM. If bank-switching and SAM had been used originally, then we wouldn't have ever had a problem with HJ bass/treble pops...

So if you try to modify values quickly, expect to hear some pops and clicks. If I ever get around to re-working HJ bass/treble to use the DSPs built-in controls, then I might look at reworking the EQ code to implement b/s and SAM. But it's not high on my list of priorities at the moment - I have another project brewing..........