Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#123103 - 25/10/2002 11:51 Home Dock Empeg Wired For Permanent Power
jarob10
enthusiast

Loc: Stockport, UK
This question relates to my home based empeg which never leaves its dock. Using the car connector, the switched power is fed from my stereo, allowing it to power down when the stereo is turned off.

I would like to change this setup so that the empeg battery and switched lines are permanently connected to +12V, and rely on the screen blanker timout / standby timer to put the empeg to sleep.

The reason is because my PC is in a different room, and I wanna be able to fire up the empeg up via the web interface without having to get off my butt and power up my stereo system.

The question is : will such a wiring configuration effect the life / performance of my empeg ? Is standby a low enough power state to not cause a problem ?

#123104 - 25/10/2002 12:09 Re: Home Dock Empeg Wired For Permanent Power [Re: jarob10]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You can just skip the power connectors on the car dock, and wire the power up to an AC adaptor jack like I've done here or Jim Hogan did here. That way it behaves properly in "AC" mode when it's docked at home.

Works great for me and Jim.

The player is designed to sit in standby mode for very long periods and it should not be a problem.

#123105 - 25/10/2002 12:12 Re: Home Dock Empeg Wired For Permanent Power [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

A description of what it does in standby mode is here.

#123106 - 27/10/2002 09:34 Re: Home Dock Empeg Wired For Permanent Power [Re: tfabris]
jarob10
enthusiast

Loc: Stockport, UK
"That way it behaves properly in "AC" mode when it's docked at home. "

Can i achieve the same thing ny 'Force AC mode' from hijack ?

Thanks for the info btw

#123107 - 27/10/2002 09:44 Re: Home Dock Empeg Wired For Permanent Power [Re: jarob10]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Can i achieve the same thing ny 'Force AC mode' from hijack ?

Mostly. However, this requires that you personally intervene (go into hijack and change the setting) every time you move the player between home and car. It doesn't happen automatically.

Also, from-scratch flash upgrades on power-application still won't work from the car dock in that case, since the power-on-boot flash runs before hijack runs (as described in the FAQ here).

I prefer to have the hardware do the home/car detection. That way all of these behaviors kick in automatically when move it between home and car, and I don't need to do anything (such as changing hijack menu settings) when I move it.

#123108 - 28/10/2002 07:46 Re: Home Dock Empeg Wired For Permanent Power [Re: jarob10]
dcosta
enthusiast

Loc: Massachussetts
Using the car connector, the switched power is fed from my stereo, allowing it to power down when the stereo is turned off.

How exactly do you have this wired.
I am going to be building a couple home docking stations and I need some electricity help on this one.

What type of converter do I need to connect the harness's power line to a US wall outlet ?