Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#125068 - 06/11/2002 21:24 Button Illumination hack with 303's Newface?
sphengali
journeyman

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've got a "NewFace" on order from Tim, with the translucent buttons - as there is no point in buying from Brian due to not needing 'those' buttons - I wanted to double check the components:

I recall reading somewhere in this Bbs that there are two different sizes of LED's - and that the smaller ones are better - on Brian's site he lists the following components:

4 T1 size LEDs of desired color
1 SMD resistor pack, 1k Ohm, 4 resistors, Digikey part Y4102CT

Can anyone confirm those are the smaller LED's listed above?
Tim/Derek - can you confirm what LED's were in Derek's unit?
I also find it confusing that Brian's site lists "1 SMD resistor pack, 1k Ohm, 4 resistors" but the pics only show one 'thingy' being soldered down, and the 4 LED's - can anyone who has actually done this mod shed some light on it for me, please?

Any other updates on the FAQ for installing these little beauties? Can I install the lights ahead of time and just leave them behind the stock buttons until I get my new face and buttons?
60 Gig MkIIa #040103892 My Rio Install

#125069 - 06/11/2002 21:57 Re: Button Illumination hack with 303's Newface? [Re: sphengali]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

I don't want to piss on your bonfire or anything but;

I also find it confusing that Brian's site lists "1 SMD resistor pack, 1k Ohm, 4 resistors" but the pics only show one 'thingy' being soldered down, and the 4 LED's - can anyone who has actually done this mod shed some light on it for me, please?

tells me that you do not have the necessary electronics skills to install this yourself. Try emailing Brian and ask for a price for just the 4 LEDs and resistor pack (explicitly state that you don't need the cast buttons), and then if he can do that, then try asking mlord for a quote to install just the resistor pack and 4 LEDs (no knob board).
If both are willing, then you can rest assured that (a) you are getting the right components, and (b) they will be installed by someone who knows what he is doing.

For reference, the single resistor pack contains 4 resistors, and hence 8 contacts that need to be soldered. The entire pack is about 3.2mm long, and about 1.9mm across. Each contact is approximately 0.6mm wide, which leaves an inter-contact gap of approximately 0.25mm - getting each individual contact soldered without bridging any of the gaps takes skill, experience, a very fine soldering iron and steady hand .

#125070 - 06/11/2002 22:08 Re: Button Illumination hack with 303's Newface? [Re: genixia]
sphengali
journeyman

No diss taken -

I never stated I was going to do the work myself - however I'm not entirely comfortable sending my Rio off in a box anywhere to anyone - unless it's broken and I had no choice. It strictly comes down to my lack of trust in shipping companies as a whole - I have had more than a few problems in the past, and avoid them like the plague.

I have a great electronics store in town that do all warranty work for notebooks, stereos, etc, etc - my plan was to get them to do it.

From my understanding - and correct me if I am wrong, I am soley basing my assumption upon the many posts on this forum - that Brian can takes weeks, sometime months to get back to clients due to demand and only running the button mod as a hobby business at the moment?

As per Brian's site:
You will only receive an e-mail reply with ordering details when I am ready to fill your particular order.

#125071 - 06/11/2002 23:06 Re: Button Illumination hack with 303's Newface? [Re: sphengali]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have a great electronics store in town that do all warranty work for notebooks, stereos, etc, etc - my plan was to get them to do it.

Warranty work on notebook computers and stereos does not necessarily mean that they are good at soldering SMD components. Most warranty work on consumer products like that is either swapping out a bolt-on part or exchanging the whole unit.

You might get lucky, they might have someone who is really good with a soldering iron. But do read this.

If your local electronics people can't do it, then there are people on this BBS who have done it and who are trustworthy. After you place the order with Brian, ask about it here in the General forum and people who've had it done will recommend and endorse folks for you.

#125072 - 06/11/2002 23:35 Re: Button Illumination hack with 303's Newface? [Re: sphengali]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Brian's backlog is purely to do with the time taken to hand-cast the buttons, if you make it obvious that you don't need any buttons cast, then he may be able to help you out much sooner. Obviously I can't speak for him, but it's worth asking IMO.

As to the shipping aspect, It is only necessary to ship the display board, not the whole unit. If you were in Boston, I'd offer to do it for you, but I'm not driving all the way to Vancover

#125073 - 06/11/2002 23:50 Re: Button Illumination hack with 303's Newface? [Re: genixia]
sphengali
journeyman

If you were in Boston, I'd offer to do it for you, but I'm not driving all the way to Vancover

Awww, come on! It's a nice drive, and besides - you wouldn't even hear the same song twice on that road trip!

I have emailed Brian now, and made my requests for the kit minus buttons, or for a kit sooner, and buttons to be shipped later 'as and when'... we shall see!