Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#136257 - 21/01/2003 14:43 With the talent on this board and...
TigerJimmy
old hand

... the dropping prices of hardware. I strongly suspect that we could put together a company with a world-class engineering team that could revitalize empeg production.

There are many diverse talents on this BBS. I am a mechanical engineer who has been in the sales side of technology for over 10 years. I have negotiated reseller and licensing agreements and run sales and distribution in North America. I have colleagues who have worked for me running Europe and Asia/Pac sales and distribution. I have also been involved with venture capital due dilligence and am *somewhat* familiar with raising money as a small company.

On this board are very talented engineers who could take the fantastic empeg design and tweak it for even greater ease of manufacture and assembly. Overseas outsourcing alternatives exist for manufacture.

I've been thinking about this for a while now. It seems to me that it may be possible to *license* the empeg player software from SonicBlue and have them as the OEM software supplier for a startup manufacturing and distribution company.

As you all know, technology has gotten significantly less expensive. Laptop drives continue to drop in price, and it may be possible to manufacture an "empeg clone" for significantly less than it was just 2 years ago. The empeg is still head and shoulders above any other offering. I think we all agree that it was the high price coupled with its early entry into the market that kept empeg from becoming a household word. A lot has changed. 3 years ago, mp3s were still mostly for geeks (like me!). I am continually amazed by the number of business people on airplanes with their iPods. The mainstream market is beginning to embrace mp3.

If the design team stuck with hardware that was completely compatible with existing software, and *if* a business relationship could be created that provided for the licensing of that software, well, it just might be possible...

The process would involve understanding unit costs and cost breaks, writing a business plan, and getting it funded. Not easy and it is a lot of work.

Comments?

Jim

#136258 - 21/01/2003 14:50 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: TigerJimmy]
djc
enthusiast

Loc: chicago
with all due respect to your experience and expertise, the first question that comes to mind is how you think you'd be able to execute this business plan better than sonicblue has themselves. how are you, as a startup, going to be able to outperform a company, that, with its rio brand and manufacturing/distribution infrastructure in place, hasn't been able to succeed (yet)?

--dan.

#136259 - 21/01/2003 15:26 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: TigerJimmy]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
...we could put together a company with a world-class engineering team that could revitalize empeg production.

I am afraid I must respectfully disagree.

tanstaafl.

#136260 - 21/01/2003 15:27 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: djc]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
No offense but if SSIamerica can market the neo.... Well... hats off to this idea and if ya get something in the works let me know. While I have virtually no programming experience, I know a good deal about network setup and infastructure, while I dunno if you'd need someone like that just keep me in mind . I realize it seems like a crazy idea but I like that kinda stuff.

#136261 - 21/01/2003 15:59 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: TigerJimmy]
Redrum
old hand

Don't let the naysayers get you down. All great companies started with people saying they're nuts.

CD's will be a thing of the past in a few years and we will all be carrying around all our music on our wristwatches. If you can get in on the ground floor and create a great product, who knows.

#136262 - 21/01/2003 16:01 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: lopan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Having spent the last 2 years starting a nearly profitable software company, I don't envy the person who takes this on. Good luck in getting several hundred thousand dollars in capital too.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's a lot of work and a lot of money.

#136263 - 21/01/2003 16:30 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: JBjorgen]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Good luck in getting several hundred thousand dollars in capital too.

I guess that might cover our NRE, what about everything else?

Rob

#136264 - 21/01/2003 16:31 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: TigerJimmy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You're not the only person who's thought of this. When the empeg got discontinued, many people, including myself and my friend, considered the idea.

You really have to ask yourself: If empeg, Ltd. and SonicBlue couldn't turn the thing for a profit, what makes you think you can make a profit doing the same thing?

Now, if you wanted to do a startup where you could make an MP3 player that was cheaper to manufacture and less expensive to sell to the general public, go for it.

See, that was the problem with the empeg: It was so expensive that it was hard for people to see past the price and discover that it was worth every penny even at twice that price.

My point is that if your goal is to make something exactly like the empeg, your product might suffer the same fate. If you want to make a profit, you have to design a different product.

#136265 - 21/01/2003 16:46 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: tfabris]
Redrum
old hand

Yes, if you follow in someone's foot prints you will end up where they are..

However, I imagine Hugo does not write too many bad checks.

A new, idea, under $300.00 would sell to the masses

#136266 - 21/01/2003 17:01 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: Redrum]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I don't write any, nasty paper things that they are. Unfortunately, debit cards are authorised on-line

The empeg was limited by some of the things which make it most attractive to the geek user, though - like being pull-out so you can plug it in on your desk. The mk3, to appeal to a wider market, sacrificed a lot of the cool stuff in order to be most things to most people - and that meant no pull out, no ethernet, no serial, etc.

A dockable player is one way to go (though unless the player is as slinky as a Rio Pearl or an iPod, I personally wouldn't find it that great) - wireless is another. Both have been shown as forthcoming products at CES; it'll be interesting to see which one catches on.

Hugo

#136267 - 21/01/2003 17:07 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: tfabris]
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

I think that a car MP3 player would work great on the mass market right now.

You need:
1. Good appearance (including display)
2. CD player AND/OR tuner (this is going to be a major sticking point with Joe Average)
3. Interface where everything can be done without using a computer, including setting up playlists
4. Preferable: a way to put music on the device without much technical knowledge (probably with CD player)
5. Preferable: a way to install the unit without massive costs or ripping up the dash
6. Marketing
7. Low cost (sub-$500)

The appearance of the Empeg appeals to a lot of people, but many people like the gaudy crap that others manufacturers are putting out. I really don't know what appearance would appeal to the most people.

Most people do not want to give up radio and CDs. It is true that once they use the device, they will no longer desire to listen to them, but they won't purchase a car stereo without one in the first place.

People are also scared of anything that requires technical knowledge of any kind. It doesn't matter if it really is simple, or if there are detailed step-by-step instructions. If it requires that they hook up more than one cable to it, or use a computer in any way, they won't want to use it. The instant you mention Ethernet, USB, drivers, software installation, or anything like that, you've turned off 90% of the market.

Market share can be grown by word of mouth, but you really need to make people know about your product if you want to sell any. You need your product review to appear when they open up an audiophile magazine or Car and Driver or their local newspaper. You need people to see it when they go to their neighborhood store. When they refer to a car MP3 player, you want them to say YOURPRODUCTNAME, much like they say TiVo for PVR, Ipod for handheld MP3, XM for satellite radio, etc. Commercial spots, sponsorship, etc. will also help you get this recognition. This is the main area that SonicBlue consistently fails.

Perhaps most importantly, the cost needs to be under $500 to get most people to even look at it. Given today's hardware prices, it may be extremely difficult to make a product for cheaper than this and still make a profit. If you make it more expensive than $500, you are only going to hit the niche market, unless, of course, you can get an OEM automobile deal (an extra $500 doesn't look so bad when you are already spending $20,000 or more).

The first companies to build any market have a rough road. However, at this time, consumers ARE ready for a car hdd mp3 player. You just need to present it in a way that they will be able to understand and at a price they understand. The main hurdle right now is price. Sub-$500 and you have a huge market, but is that really possible yet?

-Biscuits

#136268 - 21/01/2003 17:12 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: Biscuitsjam]
altman
carpal tunnel

Given that 1st-gen in-car ripping CD mechs (proper automotive spec, not like the sony or pioneer ripping head units) are only just coming out - and ditto for automotive spec HDDs - there's a price premium on these items. Also take into account the large margins that aftermarket resellers take in car audio (40%+) and it starts to get very hard very quickly to get a "cheap" product to market.

A $500 automotive aftermarket product is realistically going to have to have parts that cost no more than $200. There's a market, and it's getting bigger all the time, but I don't think it's primetime just yet.

Hugo

#136269 - 21/01/2003 17:16 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: altman]
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

I think short-term, things like the Rio Pearl and Ipod are where the market is heading. They still appeal to only a fairly minor market segment (10% who aren't petrified of computers).

If they were remarketed towards cars? I really think this is the way to go. Just come up with an FM modulator and car mount. Then have your marketing material play up this up. If SonicBlue doesn't do this with the Pearl, they are really missing the ball.

True, you sacrifice some audio quality, but you can talk people into a Pearl much easier than tearing up their dash and spending an extra $100 to get something installed while losing their radio and CD player. However, you gain the ability to take the player with you.

-Biscuits

Edited by Biscuitsjam (21/01/2003 17:19)

#136270 - 21/01/2003 17:33 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: tfabris]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

If SonicBlue can somehow manage to kick the booty of Apple iPod, then people might start asking whether they can make a car pull-out version of the Rio portable. That would be entertaining.

Another not-entirely-unreasonable idea would be for car manufacturers to standardize on some wireless variant of the patch cord between your portable MP3 player and the in-dash stereo -- maybe Bluetooth, maybe something else. If that standard ever came about, then you wouldn't have to hack up the dashboard of your car to remove your manufacturer's proprietary-sized stereo system and could instead just have your portable converse with your in-dash stereo.

Heaven knows, maybe a company with the clout of SonicBlue could push such a standard across the industry...

#136271 - 21/01/2003 17:53 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: DWallach]
Biscuitsjam
enthusiast

You can do something similar already. They are called FM radio signals. With an FM Modulator, you can take the output of the portable MP3 player (Pearl, for example), and send a signal that your car stereo can pick up (FM station 87.9 for example, or any other station for that matter). You lose some audio quality with the conversions, but you still get a pretty good signal.

The problem is, few people know about these. Even among those that do, they would still need to do research to find the right parts and order them. The Pearl or similar could easily appeal to the mass market if it came with an optional kit (mounting bracket with built-in cigarette adapter and FM modulator).

-Biscuits

#136272 - 21/01/2003 18:45 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: Biscuitsjam]
jasonc

i could have sworn someone posted a link to a new mp3 device with a built-in fm mod.

#136273 - 21/01/2003 19:31 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: Biscuitsjam]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
The biggest problem with this is sound quality. Even with an FM modulator plugged into your antenna input in your car you get at best FM quality sound, not CD quality.

I always thought that the killer combo would be an in-dash docking statoin for your iPod or such. Basically get into the car, flip up a huge auxillary display (like the Empeg has) and it would reveal a slot that would fit a portable player. Slide the player in, then flip the aux display back down and you have all the advantages of a portable with those of a car player.

Disk space would probably be an issue for some, but hey, wait a few years and we won't have to worry about that even.

You could possibly manufacture it so it would be a standalone FM radio even without docking your portable.

#136274 - 22/01/2003 03:16 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: Biscuitsjam]
altman
carpal tunnel

FM transmitters aren't legal in europe, as far as I'm aware (no matter how low power, they're still intentional emitters). You're ok in the USA though. I've passed the suggestion on to marketing as I don't think they've considered car accessories beyond the usual cassette/power adaptors yet.

I suspect well designed in-line modulators, that fit in the FM lead, are likely to be legal everywhere but obviously that involves pulling the car to pieces to find the antenna cable.

The player with the built-in modulator (and tuner) is the Neuros - www.neurosaudio.com - rather overpriced and large for a 128MB player, and rather huge for a 20GB one, but at least it's original in its featureset!

Hugo

#136275 - 22/01/2003 03:18 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: cushman]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
i would buy one of those if someone made one.

But how about a player the same shape as a face off panal with a display that rotates 90 degrees electronically and then behind it you have a cd drive for on board ripping and the amp built into it as well.

totally killer combo

well apart from a mk2 with wireless ethernet

#136276 - 22/01/2003 04:45 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: Biscuitsjam]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

If this is priced correctly, and has even reasonable software, I think it may be my Empeg replacement (should it die beyond repair for whatever reason).

http://empeg.comms.net/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=empeg_general&Number=134959&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

#136277 - 22/01/2003 05:06 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: cushman]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
I always thought that the killer combo would be an in-dash docking statoin for your iPod or such.

Wow! That is a GREAT idea! I guess that's a bit the direction to where Dension is heading with their new Din-sized HU.
The shape of the iPod would also allow this pretty easily I think. I imagine the Pearl to be more of a problem in this area.

This would solve lots of problems at once : A Cd player would still be an option with this HU, as would an FM receiver be. Still not sure weather I would like the Fm receiver to be in the HU itself or in the removable MP3 player. On the one hand I would say in the HU itself because that would mean that the HU at least would be able to play some tunes when you've not brought the removable Mp3 device with you, OTOH I would also like an FM receiver in the portable device. (If I'd really have to choose I'd say put it in the HU itself)
Also, the mp3's could still be loaded onto the portable device with emplode-like software. (with the added speed of firewire, USB 2.0 and ethernet of course). I still believe there's no better software on the market yet that doesn this job better and more easily than Emplode does, and I would hate to loose this feature.

And to top it all off I would get a great full-featured portable player !! (of which the battery could charge when it's in the car!)
Oh man, this sounds better by the minute. I sure hope that SonicBlue is developping something along those lines !

#136278 - 22/01/2003 05:33 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: TigerJimmy]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I'd say with the new mp3 players comming out now there probably isn't a reason to do this. We Empeggers get the reward for being early adopters, that is the one product that did everything right. Now the whole project is going to get dumbed down for consumers, which was the inevitable next step.

My feeling (possibly with no basis in reality) has been that we aren't too far away from having PCs built into our cars. If that happens anytime soon (within the next five years) any car based mp3 player is going to become a moot point with the loads of mp3 software already available for download. Not that everyone will move away from CDs when built in PCs come along, but all the geeks (like us) who use mp3 now will no doubt make every use possible out of having a computer in the car.

#136279 - 22/01/2003 05:49 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: thinfourth2]
Half_Geek

Loc: Stratdord-upon-Avon, UK
How about a unit that connects to your normal head unit using the CD-changer conection (Phatnoise-style), and can be controlled via the normal CD-DJ controls. Easy to fit with standard cables. Make it rip CDs internally, and use speech to give the user feedback to make up for the lack of flexibility afforded by the usual CD-changer controls. That should attract the mass market appeal (i.e. no talk of PCs, synching, MP3s or other phrases that scare the mass consumer), which should get the sales volumes up . Sell it to them as "just feed it all your CDs and then choose what you want to listen to".

Ensure it can still connect to a PC for those that want it (wired or wireless) and hope that you've come up with the right feature mix!!

Nick

#136280 - 22/01/2003 08:54 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: djc]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Since several people have asked the same question, "how can you possibly expect to succeed where others have failed in the same endeavor?", I thought I would respond with my thinking in this area. Believe it or not, I had considered it. :-) Here are my thoughts:

1. No software development is required. There is production NRE and some design work to copy and modify (for manufacture) the engineering of the empeg hardware, but no software development would be necessary. This results in hugely decreased time to market and R&D expense. License agreements can be structured to pay royalties on a per unit sold basis.

2. The prices on the requisite hardware have dropped significantly since the empeg's introduction something like 3 years ago. This is a major factor. 20GB laptop drives can be had for under $75 bought at retail one at a time. 30GB drives are under a hundred. Sure, we all want 120GB (160GB if you're Grzelak), but most of us *bought* 20GB empegs or less.

3. The market is more ready for something like this than it was 3 years ago.

4. Basically, the hard work is done. A new company can come in and "stand on the shoulders of giants" without having to make all of the investments that the giants did. No debt. This is done all the time. The Koreans are absolute experts at it.

Yes, I know the empeg team looked at mass manufacture. Yes, I respect their efforts tremendously and I don't mean to diminish them. However, its a high tech product with high tech components. Things change very quickly and it is literally a different world wrto the market, the components, and even the manufacture.

I have worked with good engineers who specialize in manufacturing and it is a sight to behold. They see the world differently than the people who invent the products. It's fascinating. Some of the best are from Korea now.

As an aside, have any of you heard of the "World Skills Competition"? It's pretty cool. The Europeans and Americans get whomped by the Asians in pretty much all of the manufacturing technology areas...

The question of whether the empeg is something that the masses would embrace at *any* price is a good question. Was it really price that held back empeg adoption, or is it that the target market is people who think its cool to run httpd on their car stereo -- which I would guess is a small (but fun) group of "extremely eccentric, cubical dwelling engineer[s]" (Grzelak).

Anyhow, that's my $.02. Things change...

Jim

#136281 - 22/01/2003 09:36 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: TigerJimmy]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
You rang?

#136282 - 22/01/2003 09:51 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: pgrzelak]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Respectfully!!! I want your 60's, remember!

Jim

#136283 - 22/01/2003 10:11 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: TigerJimmy]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

You'll be fighting me to the death!

#136284 - 22/01/2003 10:26 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: TigerJimmy]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I think some of the key components are now unavailable, or at least they were difficult to source in quantity at time of production. If you ever do go into business and start making them, put me down for one (just need to justify having a spare for my spare!)

Andy M

#136285 - 22/01/2003 10:39 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: andym]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
My concern is that you would not be able to manufacture them in any kind of quantity and be able to show a profit from it. The later sales by SonicBlue were actually done at a significant loss. If you were able to reproduce the hardware, I would think it would be at a hefty price.

And no offense taken - still waiting on the 80s before even thinking about getting rid of the 60s. Still no word from Hitachi.

#136286 - 22/01/2003 11:43 Re: With the talent on this board and... [Re: andym]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Exactly....The empeg was (is!) cool because it wasn't (isn't!) a PC, it's an embedded system that boots incredibly quickly, if you want a sub $500 system, I think PC in a car is the only way to achieve this.

As andy said, some of the parts are obsolete, most importantly the processor is no longer available, and the replacements are BGA technology, I don't think it's a case of modifying the processor board, but a task in relaying out the board - I design CAD (EDA) software specifically for designing circuits and PCB's, and I couldn't even begin to imagine the complexity of the reengineering task. Prototypes are expensive, especially if you have BGA parts where you can't mount them yourself and you have to have them professionally mounted.

The software would almost certainly require modifications to work on the new processor - and you'd be at the mercy of sonic-blue forever more.

I'm still not convinced that the market is ready for another empeg 'as is', I love my empeg but it's still a niche market device until the point that mp3's replace CD's as a mass market media.

Technology moves fast, and it's certainly overtaken the empeg that we all love, if I was looking for a new empeg replacement it'd have to have all the features of the current one + other stuff, such as colour display, 100 mbit ethernet, or maybe wireless lan with a removable faceplate....Without serious finacial backing I don't think you'd get anywhere...

Adrian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >