Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#151431 - 29/03/2003 16:20 BBS Subscriptions - HTML Email Option?
mavantix
new poster

I was wondering if there is any option the BBS admin's can enable to allow us to get the nightly subscription emails in HTML format? OR, any way the HTML can be stripped/reformatted into text where the replies and what not are more readable?

#151432 - 31/03/2003 13:39 Re: BBS Subscriptions - HTML Email Option? [Re: mavantix]
jason
stranger

After 3 1/2 years of reading the digest, I finally got fed up with the same issue this weekend. I hacked up a quick perl script to split up the digests into their own mailboxes (by forum) and de-html-ify the messages. Reading with mutt gives me nice threads, etc.

You can get the script here.

I drive the script from my mda; here's (the relevant part of) my ~/.procmailrc:

:0 c:
* ^Subject: Daily archive of
* ^From: [email protected]
| ~/bin/empegbbs-parse
:0 A:
Mail/empeg-current

I've only just made this usable so I'll probably be adding features and fixing bugs in the near future, but feel free to use it as a base for your own work.

-j

#151433 - 01/04/2003 23:44 Re: BBS Subscriptions - HTML Email Option? [Re: jason]
mavantix
new poster

HOLY COW! That's sweet! I never thought of doing that.. hehe... Hmm, Any chance I could ask for a feature?

I don't run procmail, so I'm thinking, I could just run it from my .forward file on my server... Could recommend the changes needed to make that work, so the screen will just STDOUT the new formatted email from the input it gets? I know it would need to have it's own email addr, or know if it's from the right addr... Hmmm, damn, I guess I should just setup procmail... heh. Blah.

#151434 - 02/04/2003 07:52 Re: BBS Subscriptions - HTML Email Option? [Re: mavantix]
jason
stranger

As it stands, it does take messages from STDIN and writes to the mailboxes. So, it will work with a '|script' in your .forward file.

Two caveats, though. I'm currently relying on procmail to do file locking, so that would have to be added to ensure nothing gets clobbered. Also, as you mentioned, there's nothing that prevents it from trying to parse non-empegbbs mail, so the script should test for that.

I'll add those items to the todo list for the next time I look at the script.

-j