Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#162627 - 23/05/2003 13:14 Harddrive dead?
kpollari
new poster

I think my drive died. Here's some background: I was running 2.00 released image with hijack 330. I would occasionally get 'W' messages in the upper right corner when the drive was being accessed. Just last week I had a strange occurence where a fragment of a different song would be inserted into the current song.

Today, I added some old Monty Python wav's I had laying around, deleted some tracks, upgraded hijack to 335, then rebooted. When it came up, I no longer had any playlists. So, I did some searches here and found out how to rebuild the database manually. Also, sync's were failing with odd errors using jEmplode. I installed the developer image and got to the bash prompt. It looks like /dev/hda4 is non existant. Here's a fragment of the boot screen:

Mounting first music partition
Tried to mount /dev/hda4 as reiserfs but got error 19
EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,4)): ext2_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group
128 not in group (block 0)!
Remounting filesystem read-only
EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted !
Tried to mount /dev/hda4 as ext2 but got error 22
Error mounting partitions (possibly already mounted)
Remounting first music partition read-only
No primary hard disk
Remounting second music partition read-only
No secondary hard disk

Am I hosed?

Thanks,
Kermit

#162628 - 23/05/2003 22:44 Re: Harddrive dead? [Re: kpollari]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Hmmm, looks to me that it at least is talking to the drive (can you hear it spin up?)
EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,4)): ext2_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 128 not in group (block 0)!
Remounting filesystem read-only
EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted !

Take another look in the FAQ and do the fsck

Also check the IDE cable - possibly give the connectors a squeeze in a vice - and the IDE header, as detailed here

/Michael

#162629 - 24/05/2003 15:04 Re: Harddrive dead? [Re: mtempsch]
kpollari
new poster

Thanks for the help. I had tried the basic fsck and that didn't fix the problem. Today I tried the "fsck.ext2 -fay -b 32768 /dev/hda4" command and that resolved the problem.

One day without the my empeg was pure torture.

Thanks again,
Kermit

#162630 - 24/05/2003 15:07 Re: Harddrive dead? [Re: kpollari]
tman
carpal tunnel

Weird. The main copy of the superblock was corrupted. At least it's fixed now.

- Trevor