Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#168826 - 02/07/2003 16:47 2010 Pan American Owners' Meet
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Well, I just thought it would be prudent to post this notice reasonably far in advance (who knows how many more of you will face child care issues by 2010 and sitters can be very hard to get!) but this is just to let you all know of a budding plan to hold the Pan American Empeg owners meet at the Desperados Saloon in Sumas, Washington sometime in early 2010. Sitting elegantly astride the US-Canadian border near Abbotsford, British Columbia, Sumas is famous for its cheerful border guards and well-stocked duty-free stores.

In the event that Empeggers from around the world arrive looking for more than what a saloon and duty-free can provide, I can tell you that I have been lucky enough to organize a long list of activities -- bobsledding, luge, ice skating, alpine and nordic skiing don't begin to tell what will be available -- all within easy driving distance of Desperados. And, yes, for those of you from the UK with an unquenchable interest in it, I have arranged to have a brand-new 90-meter ski jump constructed for the meet.

Exact dates aren't set in stone yet, but this will be a winter meet. This decision was taken after rumors of out-of-control sweating at summer meets.

Mark your calendars!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#168827 - 02/07/2003 17:01 Re: 2010 Pan American Owners' Meet [Re: jimhogan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Sumas is famous for its cheerful border guards

Yeah, right.

I will never cross the border at Sumas again after the border Nazi there threatened to keep me out of his country when I innocently asked whether British Columbia allowed the use of radar detectors and had to listen to a lecture about how they didn't appreciate law breakers coming in. I refrained from lecturing him about how I didn't appreciate being victimized by BC's infamous radar speed traps...

tanstaafl.

#168828 - 02/07/2003 21:46 Re: 2010 Pan American Owners' Meet [Re: tanstaafl.]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Yeah, right.

Oh! So, Doug, are you saying you'll not attend? We on the committee picked Sumas in part because we thought it would be a reasonable drive for Empeg Alaskans. We had no idea that you had confronted the dark side of rogue Canadian law enforcement!

If you won't cross the border, what are we to do with the studded-tire mountain bike slalom venue???

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#168829 - 02/07/2003 21:58 Re: 2010 Pan American Owners' Meet [Re: jimhogan]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Doug's not the only one that rides a mountain bike. I don't have any studded tires, but between now and 2010, I'm sure I can get a box of screws, a pair of old tires, and put some together...

This is not a promise to make it to the event, however. Were I to make it, I'd probably be staying with my relatives in Vancouver anyway.