Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#170500 - 14/07/2003 11:19 Flooding and the Empeg with Palantir
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
Driving home last eve I wound up getting stuck in a flooding situation in Mebane, NC, we had 7 inches of rain in 1.5 hours. I am glad I mounted the Empeg higher than where I used to have it between the seats in my '72 Datsun 510 last year. It got pretty wet between the seats splashing through those newly formed ponds and creeks in the road. I did make it a block from my house when I could not go no farther so I parked at the bar to wait out the floods. There were cars and SUV's stuck in the road and running into each other in the ditchs. Some of those SUV's were up to their roofs.

No damage to my house but most of the ice storm damage floated away (we had really bad ice storms here in December and February) Also I had a 510 parts car that flooded.

Anyhoo... I had a some time to play with the Palantir application on the PDA while i was stuck in the rain. What a kick @ss application. Most of my friends have been duly impressed with the Empeg for the past 1.5 years now. But that now that they can see the database in a user-friendly format they are really impressed. I think one friend actually bid on a Empeg and a PDA over the weekend...

Later, Sean
80gb MK2a empeg spare

#170501 - 14/07/2003 11:51 Re: Flooding and the Empeg with Palantir [Re: Micman2b]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
It got pretty wet between the seats splashing through those newly formed ponds and creeks in the road. I did make it a block from my house when I could not go no farther so I parked at the bar to wait out the floods. There were cars and SUV's stuck in the road and running into each other in the ditchs. Some of those SUV's were up to their roofs.

When I was on my way to Michigan (Ann Arbor) last week, I decided it would be cool to not use the Ohio Turnpike but instead use less travelled roads. I used some 2 and 3 digit state highways to get to US62 east of Canton, then stayed on US30 until reaching the US23 cutoff in central Ohio.

Anyhow, around Crestline the sky opened and a real heavy rain started. There was some flash flooding including a spot where the road was under about 8 inches of water... nothing high enough to get in my car.

Probably some wet basements, but only one house did I see where it was completely flooded around the house; People were wading to the road in probably ankle to mid-calf deep water.

And I saw a car which looked like it had been in demolition derbies which was for sale, painted "Runs Well" in someone's yard which looked like the engine compartment was probably mostly underwater. Not anymore

On the way back, the house which had a yardful of water looked fine, and the car had been moved a good bit up the yard it was in, but was still for sale.