Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#202859 - 06/02/2004 17:09 HTML - GIFs on the empeg Display
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
I am a weather geek and would like to see weather pages/graphics on the empeg diplay. To access the internet one would need a cell modem/cell phone and some type of the device to get the signal to the serial port on the empeg. Is there any software that has been made to view HTML or GIF images on the empeg?? Are there any other ways to receive a signal from the modem/cell phone?

Sean in NC
80gb MK2a empeg spare

#202860 - 06/02/2004 17:18 Re: HTML - GIFs on the empeg Display [Re: Micman2b]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What you're asking for, I believe, is a web browser implemented from the emepg's front panel. Currently no one has implented anything like this. The only way to get GIFs or HTML pages up on the empeg's screen is to convert it from another file format (in advance) and use it as a replacement for the Image Pan graphic. Not an ideal implementation.

As far as getting the signal from the cell phone, if the cell phone's got a standard serial port or an ethernet port, no problem, and your only barrier is writing the appropriate software. Otherwise, there isn't much you can do.

#202861 - 06/02/2004 17:21 Re: HTML - GIFs on the empeg Display [Re: tfabris]
Micman2b
addict

Loc: Central, NC, USA
Yeah, a web browser for the empeg would be what I was looking for. Maybe someday... I am not a programmer so I can be no help there.

Sean in NC
80gb MK2a empeg spare

#202862 - 06/02/2004 17:35 Re: HTML - GIFs on the empeg Display [Re: tfabris]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
The only way to get GIFs or HTML pages up on the empeg's screen is to convert it from another file format (in advance) and use it as a replacement for the Image Pan graphic.

Only if by "only way" you mean "other than doing something similar but not the same by running empan".