Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#212718 - 10/04/2004 18:24 Serial port connection
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
Can I disconnect the serial port while I have one of my players copying from one drive to another and then reconnect it again later and continue to control the player?

I am currently copying my drive0 from player "A" to the drive0 of player "B" in player B. As long as both players are open, I want to use player A now to copy drive1 to drive1 of player B at the same time but I would need to disconnect the current serial connection since I only have one PC. Can I do this and still reconnect the serial later to finish the copy routine (mount the drives RO)?

#212719 - 10/04/2004 21:24 Re: Serial port connection [Re: bodybag]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Yep, not a problem. The session doesn't close when you disconnect the serial cable. The session is always "open" even if a serial cable is not connected, since the empeg has the serial port set as a console.

When you replug the cable, it will be as if nothing happened. This means that it also won't redraw what was last on the screen in any way.

#212720 - 10/04/2004 23:47 Re: Serial port connection [Re: bodybag]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I have sometimes run into a problem... I don't know exactly why this happens, and I do not know if it applies to your particular situation or not. But...

Sometimes if I plug in the serial cable after the player has booted up, or if I launch Hyperterminal after the player has booted up, I get problems. The problems are either garbage characters instead of actual serial data, or, I can read the serial port ouput just fine yet cannot send commands to the player.

If these things happen, the only solution for me is to cycle the power with the serial cable plugged in and hyperterminal already running.

I don't know why this happens so I don't know if it's applicable to what you're doing, but I just wanted to relate my experience with that sort of thing in case it was related.

#212721 - 11/04/2004 06:06 Re: Serial port connection [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I have had this happen too. I would leave the serial connected, or go through a switch that will prevent any signal bounces.

#212722 - 11/04/2004 07:53 Re: Serial port connection [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Mmm... I have never had such problems. But then, I don't use Windows and Hyperterm, either.

Kermit, under Linux (actually, ckermit).

Cheers

#212723 - 11/04/2004 15:41 Re: Serial port connection [Re: bodybag]
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
Did this, had no problems with either player while switching back-and-forth. Thanks guys.