Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#213868 - 21/04/2004 08:50 Where is Boxster antenna signal amplifier wire?
hansg
new poster

I have installed an empeg MKII player to my new Boxster MY04. However, I'm not getting adequate radio reception despite having the antenna connected properly.

I presume Boxster has a built-in antenna with a signal amplifier, but I'm unable to figure out where the car's antenna power wiring is. I hope Boxster doesn't need an adapter of some sort like late model VW's according to riocar.org FAQ.

BTW, there's a small yellow connector in the radio installation slot. What's it's purpose?

#213869 - 21/04/2004 11:16 Re: Where is Boxster antenna signal amplifier wire [Re: hansg]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Hmmm, IIRC some Porsches at least have used amplified antennas - again IIRC, with the power feed integrated in the stock radio, requiring an adapter alá VW/Audi when you use an aftermarket stereo.

Then again, my Peugeot had a wire simply going into the harness only to come back and attach with a small connector to a wire that went along the antenna cable, so your little yellow connector might be to power the antenna amp...

Best bet is to ask a tech at the dealer, or if you have a good local car audio shop around... Another decent BBS I've found is motortalk.de (general language is german, but the won't yell if you use english...) - might be able to get an answer in the Porsche or Car Audio forums.

/Michael

#213870 - 21/04/2004 11:26 Re: Where is Boxster antenna signal amplifier wire? [Re: hansg]
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
My 993 has a White wire comming from the dash that has a connector on it that plugs directly into a lead (Black) on the antenna cable itself. I spliced the Blue wire from the Empeg directly into the lead comming from the antenna when I ran into the problem of weak reception. Works fine now.

#213871 - 21/04/2004 12:16 Re: Where is Boxster antenna signal amplifier wire [Re: hansg]
ellweber

Loc: Saratoga, CA, USA
Likely your MY2004 is different than my MY2000 but perhaps it is somewhat similar. Per the factory wiring diagram for MY 2000, antenna amplifier power comes from a white wire that is on pin 5 of the black connector on the back of the stock radio head unit. This is referred to a "Plug A" and should correspond to the diagram on the back of the radio.

The attachment is partially from that diagram and partially from a Becker document.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

Attachments
212827-BoxsterAntenna.jpg (4088 downloads)