Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#213847 - 21/04/2004 07:08 Radio SIgnal Weakens
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Ok, I am not lucky with empeg radios. This is driving me crazy again, and I'd be really thankful is somebody could help...

After working PERFECTLY for two months, my radio seems to have poroblems once more. Simply, the signal weakens without any reason, apparently. The signal strength bar lowers more and more until I cannot listen to anyting but noise. It used to happen rarely, and the signal would come back. Then more and more frequently, and now it basically is always down at 0 and just plain noise.

I'd like to check everything before accepting the idea that my radio module is broken, so my simple question is:

Can this be caused by a wire going from the radio module to the empeg? I know there are other possible causes, including bad antenna etc, but do you think that the connection from the radio module to the empeg is one possible cause, or maybe it does not make sense at all?

Thank you in advance!
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#213848 - 21/04/2004 07:13 Re: Radio SIgnal Weakens [Re: Taym]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Is this a radio kit or a factory radio? Perhaps it's something simple like the antenna lead snapping off of the PCB. Open it up and see if both halves of it and other things are still secure. Simething may have been poorly secured and just flexed apart over the months.

Stu

#213849 - 21/04/2004 07:30 Re: Radio SIgnal Weakens [Re: maczrool]
Taym
carpal tunnel

It is a factory radio. Yes, I'll look into that. I am planning to check the antenna, antenna cable, as well.
But should I also check the wires going from the empeg itself to the radio module? COuld they be responsible for a weakening signal?

Thank you!

#213850 - 21/04/2004 09:56 Re: Radio SIgnal Weakens [Re: Taym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
But should I also check the wires going from the empeg itself to the radio module? COuld they be responsible for a weakening signal?
Of course. All wires should be checked, including the antenna wire, and whatever wire is powering your antenna amplifier.

If you have another old car stereo lying around, it might not hurt to temporarily plug it in to see if it, too, gets reception problems. Maybe it's the car's antenna amplifier failing.

#213851 - 21/04/2004 11:07 Re: Radio SIgnal Weakens [Re: tfabris]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Thank you Tony.

The reason I am asking this is precisely this:

Some time ago, I had the same problems with the tuner. I plugged in another car stereo and it was receiving properly. We tested it repeatedly. Also, we connected another antenna to the empeg tuner module, and it would get no/very poor signal, just like with car antenna. So we ruled out the possibility that the car antenna and car antenna amplifier could be malfunctioning.

As you may remember, my tuner had rust in it. Therefore, I tested a PCATS tuner, which had not a good reception, but it was at least usable, even though not even nearly as good as my tuner before the problems started. This always left me with the doubt that it was not the tuner modules, but something else not working properly.

Meanwhile, I had my rusty tuner module repeired. In fact, a friend who works in a PCB factory cleaned it completely, resoldered what needed to be resoldered, tested it completely, and returned to me saying that unless some component was broken inside, it should work. The reception was in fact decent, but, still, not as good as it used to be. Still I was suspecting something else was going wrong, even thoug the rust may have been a contributing factor.

I then installed a phone system, and in doing so I opened my dash again. After putting everything back (notice that the stereo system had not been altered in any way), the radio singal tuned to EXCELLENT, loud and strong, as it used to be before any problem occurred. Absolutely perfect. The signal strength bar would perfectly reflect this new signal quality.
This made me think that by opening and closing the dash we must have moved some foulty wire, maybe. Since I doubt it is the car antenna or the car amplifier, and at this point I am still uncertain it is the radio module itslef, I am now hoping that there is some wiring or other connection problem between the tuner and the empeg.

My car stereo installer is not very optimis, since he is assuming that the signal strenght bar behaves as if there is a fluctuation in the signal quality at the tuner level, assuming that if the connection between the empeg and the tuner is not good, I should either get full strength or no strength at all. However, these are just assumpotion since none of us knows precisely of the empeg software works in measuring signal strength.

I know there are chances that my former-rusty tuner is not completely fixed, but I can't even imagine going through another tuner purchase at such high prices, not knowing how good it could turn out to be. So I'd like to first see if there's anything else that could be causing this. If a lose whire between the empeg and the tuner can cause the signal quality to change, of if ti couls be a connection in the empeg player that needs to be resoldered, then I can still hope I don't have to purchase another tuner...

#213852 - 28/04/2004 07:27 Re: Radio SIgnal Weakens [Re: tfabris]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Ok, we checked the wirings inside the radio module, and they look ok. Also wirings inside the empeg itself seemed ok. We cleaned empeg's back connecto to the sled, and the sled's connector too. I did not check the wiring behind the sled, though, which I am doing soon.

As a matter of fact, the radio was not working at all and this made me think the poroblem wa sin fact with the radio. Then I slided into my sled a friend's empeg and ... IT WAS WORKING! Perfectly! Notice that my friend's empeg is much harder to push into the sled.
Then, worried that it coudl be something into my empeg, I plugged it back in and the signal was there, but weak!
They I plugged my friend's empeg back in, and the signbal was gone.
Mine again, and signal still gone. Never cvame back, neither with his nor with mine.

So, I think it must be some wiring on the sled, don't you think?
Or maybe the defective radio module just happened to work again for one more time?

#213853 - 28/04/2004 10:37 Re: Radio SIgnal Weakens [Re: Taym]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Did you check for this problem?

#213854 - 28/04/2004 11:17 Re: Radio SIgnal Weakens [Re: tfabris]
Taym
carpal tunnel

What an amazingly well done faq, Tony. As usual...

Aside from this, I did check it, since I knew that problem since you posted the faq, but until I saw the movie I did not realize I was misunderstanding it. I was thinking that the pin itself would slide out, while, if I understand it properly, it is the wires that slide out of the pins. Now, no pin slides out of the dock connector, I just checked; but I haven't checked if there is some wire not properly connected to its pin. I know for sure no wire came out while I moved or pulled them, even though gently, but it is still possible that some wire is still not properly connected, I would say.
So, I'll try this one as well.

As a side note, I have to say that this is driving me crazy. If at the end of it I have to buy another radio module, I am considering getting a different device to be coupled to the empeg. A Becker car setereo had excellent nav system as well. Look here: http://www.becker.de/beckerCC21/www_root/index.jsp?language=En thenCar Navigation, then TP HS Limited Edition, just as an example.
I mentioned Becker because afaik they have the best car radio systems available in the market. Just a thought, at the moment.

#213855 - 28/04/2004 11:19 Re: Radio SIgnal Weakens [Re: Taym]
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
if you have a double DIN dash perhaps you would consider an additional head unit?

#213856 - 28/04/2004 11:28 Re: Radio SIgnal Weakens [Re: edsmiata]
Taym
carpal tunnel

You posted right after I did.
So, yes, I am considering it. BUT I have a single-din dash. If anything like that happens, I'd have to move the empeg into the glove box, where there is room for a cd changer which could be used to host the empeg.
Now, this is the really negative aspect of the whole thing, aside from spending extra money. I really really love my empeg, and it annoys me to do that just for the radio. But I do need a radio, on the other hand.

Edited by taym (28/04/2004 11:29)

#213857 - 28/04/2004 11:33 Re: Radio SIgnal Weakens [Re: Taym]
edsmiata
addict

Loc: New Jersey
well go with XM or SIRIUS...i have double DIN and besides the Empeg I just installed a Clarion mp3/wma sat radio ready HU..got it for $138...however...Crutchfield is running a special on this unit for $199 and u get free shipping and a SIRIUS tuner with the purchase of an antenna....wishi i had known about that before!

So for about $250 you get more diversity in your setup..and to be honest...running the Empeg through the Clarion, with all of its sound tailoring capabilities, it sounds many many times better than before

Ed

#213858 - 17/06/2004 18:46 Re: Radio SIgnal Weakens [Re: Taym]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Recent development: I found my AM radio works. So it is NOT the wiring. I'll have to get a new radio module soon or a Becker. I found out I can fit two DIN units in my dash, using proper skills...