Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#225474 - 30/06/2004 16:03 A cool playlist aggregator tool--wish there was one for empeg/Karma
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Stumbled onto the Musicmobs site and found myself wishing for an interface to the Karma and empeg players.

This site describes themselves as:
Quote:
Musicmobs is a social network for music fans that allows you to share your listening habits and discover new music. To find out more please read the FAQ. You can get started by signing up for an account and then syncing your listening habits.

If I understand it correctly, all we'd need would be an export of playlists in iTunes XML format. Just a bit of programming right? Any takers out there?

#225475 - 30/06/2004 16:11 Re: A cool playlist aggregator tool--wish there was one for empeg/Karma [Re: time]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The short description sounds like a partial implementation of an idea I've had for several years now, and wish that Rio would take the forefront in implementing. But for proper operation, you would need to track more than just playlists. You'd have to track the number of times a given tune is played, for example, how long the tune lived in your collection before you deleted it, that sort of thing. I envision a day where all that stuff is done automatically, and the Rio software then suggests new music you might like.

#225476 - 30/06/2004 16:29 Re: A cool playlist aggregator tool--wish there was one for empeg/Karma [Re: tfabris]
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Yeah, I was thinking there could be more info pulled from the empeg/karma players too.

So in your version, when you say 'automatically' I assume you mean in the background w/o user intervention. Is that right? I guess you'd still need some central site to collect all the info and report out...

All the same, I like the thought of pulling from more than just our beloved platform(s) and even getting a wider sampling of what people are listening to on thier high capacity players.

#225477 - 30/06/2004 17:11 Re: A cool playlist aggregator tool--wish there was one for empeg/Karma [Re: time]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, exactly. The idea is, with enough aggregate information (playlist addition/deletion/listening habits) from a large enough sample, you will be able to do the whole Amazon thing, but have it all happen automatically without user intervention. You'd need a proper accurate-automatic-tagging engine as part of the system, so that it could know for sure that it really was the Bela Fleck version of "Hoe Down" that you've played 750 times in the last week, or else it might try to sell you Copeland collections. But I really think it's do-able.