Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#238656 - 22/10/2004 19:05 What Happened to Newface 303 Faces
belezeebub
addict

I tried to make a new face but it it was cost effective but I remember a post about the same time from the person that purchase all the equipment from the New Face Guy he stated he was going to start offering them again. anyone heard from him ?
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#238657 - 22/10/2004 21:45 Re: What Happened to Newface 303 Faces [Re: belezeebub]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
That would be Speedy67. At Amersfoort he said that it was still in progress but it would be when real life gave him enough time to work on it. A recent post from Drakino mentioned that he has been away from his home since August. I believe that what 303 was giving Speedy was the setup info (maybe jigs?) for the CNC machines. He did say that there were no CADs for the design.

#238658 - 22/10/2004 23:16 Re: What Happened to Newface 303 Faces [Re: belezeebub]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
I tried to make a new face but it it was cost effective...

Maybe you mean "cost prohibitive"? Or "not cost effective"?

#238659 - 23/10/2004 00:11 Re: What Happened to Newface 303 Faces [Re: webroach]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
probably lost it at "was['nt] cost effective", but from the context everyone knew and didn't bother with correcting it.

#238660 - 23/10/2004 01:32 Re: What Happened to Newface 303 Faces [Re: Mach]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
It would be cool if Speedy67 could create more faces. Man, the people in the empeg crowd are so multi tallented.

#238661 - 23/10/2004 04:27 Re: What Happened to Newface 303 Faces [Re: FireFox31]
Glen_L

Loc: Elk Grove, CA
Quote:
Man, the people in the empeg crowd are so multi tallented.

Indeed...in case anyone missed it JayF may have some stock-style aluminum fasciae done in the near future. That thread was here.

#238662 - 23/10/2004 13:28 Re: What Happened to Newface 303 Faces [Re: Glen_L]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
You know, in my search for a button molding company, I came across more than enough metalworking manufacturers. For the same amount of time and effort to create them by hand, a manufacturer could be contracted to make much much more at a cheaper cost per unit (I'm assuming).

Not having the CADs may not be a huge problem. For the button project, the molders appreciated the CADs, but they really wanted "engineering drawings". The "drawings" (as they call them) show all the measurements of every nook and cranny of the part, as well as the "tollerances" (which I still don't fully understand) for the finer details.

So maybe we could find a company to create drawings from the physical faces themselves. Then, a CNC machine shop could be used to grind the parts out of solid blocks, or a mold could be created and they could be cast; depends on the quantity we need, I guess.

The info that Speedy67 got from 303 may help the process, but I don't know what it tells. And, of course, if Speedy67 has access to the CNC machines himself, this may all be extraneous. What do you think?

#238663 - 24/10/2004 13:02 Re: What Happened to Newface 303 Faces [Re: FireFox31]
belezeebub
addict

I have cad drawining somewhere, remember I even made a proto-type it was far from cheap my cost per face in lots of 25 was 175 (unfinished) and about 1500 for the proto-type. while I would love to product them it is not cost effective for me to do so, I never got 25 order minume needed to place an order, if someone has the time and the talent and access to a CNC it might be a different story.

Quote:
You know, in my search for a button molding company, I came across more than enough metalworking manufacturers. For the same amount of time and effort to create them by hand, a manufacturer could be contracted to make much much more at a cheaper cost per unit (I'm assuming).

Not having the CADs may not be a huge problem. For the button project, the molders appreciated the CADs, but they really wanted "engineering drawings". The "drawings" (as they call them) show all the measurements of every nook and cranny of the part, as well as the "tollerances" (which I still don't fully understand) for the finer details.

So maybe we could find a company to create drawings from the physical faces themselves. Then, a CNC machine shop could be used to grind the parts out of solid blocks, or a mold could be created and they could be cast; depends on the quantity we need, I guess.

The info that Speedy67 got from 303 may help the process, but I don't know what it tells. And, of course, if Speedy67 has access to the CNC machines himself, this may all be extraneous. What do you think?
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/