Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#277410 - 12/03/2006 09:17 Tagging Music: Dealing with Typos on the CD case?
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I've just this minute succeeded in repairing an old CD so that I can re-rip it to FLAC and add it to the rest of my collection.

The track listing on the case is full of typos. What to do? The CD's a bit of a collector's item now (going for between £30 and £60 on eBay right now), so I kinda feel I ought to preserve everything about it, including the typos. But the grammar nazi in me wants to fix the misplaced apostrophes and the mis-spellings.

Thoughts?

#277411 - 12/03/2006 12:09 Re: Tagging Music: Dealing with Typos on the CD case? [Re: Roger]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
When I hit something like that, I use correct entries in the regular title fields, but put the original (as seen on the case) version in the comments tag with a comment that this was what appeared on the case. This way, you will not have to remember the incorrect version for searching or indexing, but you keep a version that you can look at later if you choose to.

#277412 - 12/03/2006 13:25 Re: Tagging Music: Dealing with Typos on the CD case? [Re: Roger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I do copy how it is on the CD.

Matt

#277413 - 12/03/2006 14:39 Re: Tagging Music: Dealing with Typos on the CD case? [Re: Roger]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
The track listing on the case is full of typos. What to do? ... I kinda feel I ought to preserve everything about it, including the typos.

I wouldn't take a magic marker to your collectible CD's cover. Oh, you mean on the tags on the digital files. I suppose your customers would appreciate having it look exactly like it did on the CD. Oh, you're probably not distributing those files, huh?

So, without the snark, unless you're using those tags for something other than identifying the tracks for yourself (and I suppose it's possible that you might have some sort of automated system to recreate something off of the tags), do whatever will bother you less when you see them. I sometimes, when submitting information to FreeDB, will leave the tags as they appear on the CD, then fix them to be correct for my personal use.

#277414 - 13/03/2006 01:55 Re: Tagging Music: Dealing with Typos on the CD case? [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I always just change it to what I think it should be. Including (and perhaps especially) capitaliztation.

Sure, an artist might think he's all important and that his song deserves to be called "Go To The Mountain", but damnit, that's not gramatically correct.

Also, think of the CDs where the song order on the label turned out to be slightly different from the song order on the actual disc (say, for example, track 5 and 6 are swapped). I've had that happen several times in my collection. Would you consider that worth preserving, enough to label the song titles completely wrong? Naw. So I figure, if you would correct THAT kind of typo, then just correct everything and be done with it.

#277415 - 13/03/2006 20:30 Re: Tagging Music: Dealing with Typos on the CD case? [Re: tfabris]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
What do you guys do on those albums where the artist 'cleverly' makes the Nth song as hidden track as track #99 (or some such number) with say, 75 blank tracks between N-1 and N. Do you set that song to N of N or 99 of 99?

-Zeke

[Tony: "capitaliztation"?]

Edited by Ezekiel (13/03/2006 20:31)

#277416 - 13/03/2006 20:42 Re: Tagging Music: Dealing with Typos on the CD case? [Re: Roger]
Snowshoe
new poster

Loc: Midwest
Fix'em mine always bug me as well, everytime the song pops up on the screen so I 'mark' them & fix later.

#277417 - 13/03/2006 20:46 Re: Tagging Music: Dealing with Typos on the CD case? [Re: Ezekiel]
Snowshoe
new poster

Loc: Midwest
Personally 75 blank tracks mean the last track is the next # in line since there was never any tracks in between.

#277418 - 13/03/2006 23:09 Re: Tagging Music: Dealing with Typos on the CD case? [Re: Roger]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

A seminal album if ever there was one.

Those ebay prices have dropped since the 10th anniversary remix came out last year too! Mint copies of the original had previously been going for $120 plus.

It looks like I left mine with whatever typos were in the AMG data.

sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/01-leftfield__song_for_life_lemon_interupt_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/02-leftfield__song_for_life_duo_for_life_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/03-leftfield__song_for_life_steppin_razor_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/04-bedrock__for_what_you_dream_full_on_renaisance_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/05-rhythm_invention__chronoclasm.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/06-disco_evangelists__de_niro_spaceflight_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/07-memphisto__state_of_mind_quite_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/08-moonchild__voat_original_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/09-sunscreem__perfect_motion_boys_own_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/10-river_ocean__love_and_happiness_junior_boys_own_super_dub.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/11-that_kid_chris__keep_on_pressin_on_didnt_i_show_you_luv_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/12-remake_inner_city__bladerunner_til_we_meet_again_brothers_in_rhythum_perkappella.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/13-bump__house_stompin_big_bump_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/14-f_machine__child_bride_feedback_mad_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_1_of_3/15-mpeople__renaissance_john_digweeds_full_on_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/01-fluke__slide_pdf_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/02-funk_machine__lets_get_this_party_started_party_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/03-fluke__slide_scat__frenzy.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/04-corrado__trust_pink_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/05-djmbg__trance_1_oriental_psycho_estmix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/06-hysterix__talk_to_me_sashas_full_master_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/07-annadin__angel.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/08-virtualmismo__misrnoplastico_dirtysyncomix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/09-virtualmismo__misrnoplastico_original_remix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/10-fishbone_beat__always_psychedelic_martini_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/11-state_of_grace__not_over_yet_periecto_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/12-secret_life__she_holds_the_key_hale_im_a_believer_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/13-funtopia__do_you_wanna_know_drum_cut_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/14-vfr__tranceillusion_original_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_2_of_3/15-kym_mazelle__was_that_all_it_was_def_mix.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/01-mpeople__how_can_i_love_you_more.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/02-moby__go.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/03-jaco__show_some_love.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/04-spooky__little_bullet.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/05-havana__sublime_theme.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/06-shawn_christopher__another_sleepless_night.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/07-unity_3__age_of_love.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/08-emf__theyre_here.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/09-solar_plexus__solar_plexus.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/10-havana__ethic_prayer.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/11-2_bad_mice__bomb_scare.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/12-age_of_love__age_of_love.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/13-my_friend_sam_w_violq_wills__its_my_pleasure.mp3
sasha__john_digweed/renaissance_the_mix_collection_disc_3_of_3/14-lemon_interupt__dirty.mp3

#277419 - 13/03/2006 23:21 Re: Tagging Music: Dealing with Typos on the CD case? [Re: Roger]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
The only situation that I can think of for me is with NIN. For almost all of the releases. all of the text on the CDs were in lower case. I always thought that was kinda cool and it was certainly intentional. So I keep my mp3s that way. It just "looks" more NIN to me. I get ragged on by some friends for it, but they can title it however they want!

#277420 - 14/03/2006 03:11 Re: Tagging Music: Dealing with Typos on the CD case? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
For some reason, I copied the capitalization from U2's Achtung Baby as is from the disc; the titles are all like "until the END of the WORLD". Now every time it pops up on the empeg, it annoys the piss out of me. Or it did when my display still worked.

#277421 - 14/03/2006 04:32 Re: Tagging Music: Dealing with Typos on the CD case? [Re: wfaulk]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
For some reason, I copied the capitalization from U2's Achtung Baby as is from the disc; the titles are all like "until the END of the WORLD". Now every time it pops up on the empeg, it annoys the piss out of me. Or it did when my display still worked.

Heh, that made it into freedb too it seems. When I ripped mine, I fixed that straight away, since it was already annoying me.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)